Sign in to follow this  
-Serenity-

The Art Of Cooking

Originally posted by Zafir:

Baashi, don’t even dignify these responses with an answer.

I am flabbergasted, looks like yawl ladies have your heads somewhere else for it clearly wasn’t the man implied. Qofba meeshii bukta baa butaacda I suppose.

It was a lil fun at his expense. Yaa ku dirtay? Butaac somewhere else. icon_razz.gif

Zafir   

^I need to see one of these ( :D )or ( ;) )or even these ( smile.gif ) when having fun at ones expense. then only i shall butaac some Ouuoc meelkale. :D Yaa ku dirtay? What am I now a telephone?? smile.gif telephoneka waa la dirtaa noh? :D

^ragaba waa la dirta but that's another story. Smiley faces get in the way of words bro, must everything be pictorial? I despair. (Insert theatrical smiley here)

Originally posted by Baashi:

Well qallanjo with no skills in the cooking department is a half woman
icon_razz.gif
. Full stop, dot, and period
:D
. This essential skill is what makes a home a real home.

Thats unfair Baashi. Amy person must learn to cook, if only to feed themselves and a woman's cooking abilities is not a measure of her worth and any Faarax who blv cooking is for women or expects his woman to do it all is a useless no-gooder a woman can do without! icon_razz.gif

^^^ The irony and contradiction :confused: ...Well not two days are the same! and hopefully I'll be around for more days to come...Witness I shall be, Laugh I will :D

Cheers

Baashi   

My man Zafir, Baashi doesn't take shez and her likes very seriously :D . Cyber exchanges should not be taken seriously anyway right? It is all good buddy :D

Shez, hold ur horses sis. If you wanna talk about dysfunctional families and how men are the culprits in the family break-ups and what not, fine with moi. Bring it on :D Qallanjo don't forget having fun at someone's expense is a 2-way street aight ;)

Amelia,

You are right anyone who thinks cooking is for women or expects his qallanjo to do it all is a useless wax-ma-tare.

I don’t know about you but where I came from and the place I call home now and my observation on the folks I befriended with in the states men suck big time when it comes to cooking. They are instructed (by the boss of the house of course) to do all the hard labor: fix everything that gets broken (handyman), mow the lawn, rearrange furniture, and what not whereas ladies seem to have special touch in decorating the house, cooking, etc. There are exceptions to this trend of course but generally speaking cooking is not an art in which majority of men are good at. Chefs are negligible minority in this case.

Ya know how it goes right! When the mood is right and times are good, typical daily dishes, packaged foods, pizza, and what have you won’t do xaajiyo! Ya know how y’all get sentimental and everything. I’m sure you can relate to other women who have this tendency of marking a certain date as an especial occasion and want to treat her lovers and husbands with special dish every now and then. What r you gonna do if you are clueless in this department? Order pizza? How unique!

Likewise when boyhood friend or respectable relative visits your neck of the wood and you invite her/him to join with the family at the table for special martiqaad if the lady can’t prepare an edible dish for such occasions she sure has a major shortcoming in my book. Thus the figurative statement of “half woman†is an expression of that shortcoming.

Get on with the program ya Athena. Cooking is an added-value and any qallanjo with exceptional skills in this dept sure shines above all other.

LOZ, WHAT? :rolleyes:

Baashi, cooking is an acquired skill. No-one is born with it. Just because men often get excused from doing it, especially in Muslim societies doesnt make it an inherent xalimo skill waiting to be explored (or exploited).

I find it funny that men do all the inviting for the martiqaad and women do all the cooking. I personally, operate on a you-invite, you-cook policy. :D

And one more thing Baashi, as always, you forget that qallanjos like to be cooked for too. Nothing says I love you like a well cooked meal, me thinks. Luckily all the new faarax's know this essential rule maalmahan icon_razz.gif

Shez, hold ur horses sis. If you wanna talk about dysfunctional families and how men are the culprits in the family break-ups and what not, fine with moi. Bring it on
:D
Qallanjo don't forget having fun at someone's expense is a 2-way street aight
;)

No, I don't want to talk about dysfunctional families. I know it's a two-way street, nobody stopping you going down it if u like. I haven't made laughable comments like 'major shortcoming' in relation to a woman not being able to put on a feast for her man's posse. But if I do say stuff like that feel free to howl and poke fun.

Baashi   

^Tell that to the moderator. The lady is going for the scratch ala cat style icon_razz.gif

Shez,

U r so uptight. Are you on an edge or something? You sure come across as some1 this close to lose it. Relax. As to your invitation for a catfight oh no shez count me out icon_razz.gif . The cyber xungurufo you are I won’t even try to poke fun at ya :D .

Amelia, lucky you, the marriage pool is full of chefs eh :D .

Cooking is an acquired skill you said and I say absolutely! You said women like to be looked after as well and sometimes they like to be shown that by fixing a nice meal for them and I say may be cooking is something they want their tigers to try exactly because it is an activity he doesn’t do quite often and thus the significance attached to them fixing the meals.

The flip side of this is that there are all sorts of ways to show love and I bet most will prefer other expressions of love than digsi full of burkaanti :D .

As to the young guns being on the same page with you young flowers when it comes to kitchen routines, I say hooreey :cool: more power to them. We oldies find pursuing the real thing more important than double handling food. If and when we catch the prized prey it will enhance the quality of life for all of the stakeholders. The car, the boat, the trips, the quality time with offspring, financial freedom, and what not comes with a prize ya know.

Awoowe,

Being able to cook and partaking in family household chores or cooking is not mutually exclusive to earning? Lets get that clear, ok? I dont want you confusing the young'uns icon_razz.gif . So if you cant cook and still pursue 'the real thing', its ok. I consider that a 'major shortcoming' but who is comparing eh? :D

Now do me a favour and just say what you really want to say - which is cooking is a woman's role and the kitchen is the woman's domain.

Cooking is an acquired skill you said and I say absolutely!

Originally posted by Amelia:

Baashi, cooking is an acquired skill.

I am not sure if the above statements are entirely correct. When it comes to cooking the necessities then I agree you can acquire; however you can not deny there is art to cooking (Amelia remember the title you gave the topic).

Simply put, you have to have the talent and the gift of cooking, the mild touch, the precision (just like a surgeon), the timing, the feeling and the understanding of the right flavas, the creativity and flair with ingredients, innovation with style and the ease of making the complex ingredients seem simple. How many times you thought you can do as the Chefs on the TV and yet you only realise how complicated it is after you burn the dish the 10th time...hehehe...

I just could not accept cooking is acquired skill and period.

Amelia some of your conclusions are like double edged swords; they may just mean the opposite of what you trying to say :D Hence the Irony

Cheers

Zafir   

Originally posted by Legend of Zu:

Simply put, you have to have the talent and the gift of cooking, the mild touch, the precision (just like a surgeon), the timing, the feeling and the understanding of the right flavas, the creativity and flair with ingredients, innovation with style and the ease of making the complex ingredients seem simple. How many times you thought you can do as the Chefs on the TV and yet you only realise how complicated it is after you burn the dish the 10th time...hehehe...

Talent?? Gift?? Dude, it's just like making love, practice and persistence will make you acquire that same talent and gift, in mo time you will see your self as guru. Am I right or am I right.

Baashi   

^Spot on Zafir.

LOZ, I agree with Zafir on this. Practice will do the trick.

Amelia awoowe, you have a point there. I readily admit that my lack of skills in the kitchen dept is a shortcoming of sort. But it is not biggie considering the norms of today's society.

And who said anything about the two being mutually exclusive? I certainly didn't! I made the point that if one is expending one's energy in other pursuits majority of time one will invariably come short in the neglegted dept where less time is spent on. Common sense eh.

If I work 10 hrs a day plus 2 hrs of commute I would expect my loving and lovable xaajiyo to fix me a hot plate regardless of my cooking skills. If she is working then that's different story.

As an oldie my intention is not to corrupt the young guns you prey on icon_razz.gif . If my take on things pose a clear and present danger to your future prospect I would refrain from doing so in the future :D . Just say so out loud aight :D

As regarding to what i really want to say well here it is: cooking is an essential skill every women should master. If you want to turn tables on me and say how about men well I readily admit and say yes men too can use this skill :D .