Sign in to follow this  
SayidSomal

What are you going to do when you grow up?

Originally posted by Kool_Kat:

Sayid,
what did you want do when you grew up when you were at the age of 11? Were you a fat kid or a typical skrony Somali child with lugo istakiin?
:D:D

Leave the child be and have his dreams!

at that age, all i wanted was to look after the camels rathern those darn goats and i was the latter (skinny and strong)

It was wrong to ask the kid that question in the first place. His replay was right though, he just said what he likes no more no less.

nothing wrong with the question nor his answer if that is what he actually intends to do - i just hope he would lay off the chips and the chicken to reach his goal.

I don't know about you guys, but i would definitely eat at "Fat Boy's Chip Shop"

me and you both - but where is burtinle?

Ibtisam   

^^^There is something seriously wrong with you. Giving the little kid a complex :rolleyes:

I think he is heading the right direction. At least he wants to be something or somebody. I really don't care what it is. I've seen kids say they want to be a gangster or a "heavy mans" :rolleyes: Or even a "big shoter" So at least this one is innocent.

Malika   

I would say the boy has firm attachments to both countries,Somalia as his future and past in conjuction with his present Britishness! Ah,a well rounded young man.I mean if one is to say what is British culture,fish and chips come to mind so mahaa?

North, How could you say the children should forget about somalia and concentrate on their achievement,I believe for one to achieve one has to be in great mind set..Somalia or being Somali offers an identity, a sense of belonging.Actually its encouraged that educators should appreciate and respect the rich and diversity of backgrounds pupils bring, the more a child feels secure within themselves the greater the results..

Sayid,why concentrate on his physical appearance,rather then paying attention to the underlining issue,"his sense of belonging" ?

ps.I like this kid

Ibtisam   

Sayyid, yes it is innocent and harmless in the short term and maybe even long term (if our men are too fat to run and chase each other with guns, maybe they will just sit under a tree and we'll finally have some peace.)

As a Somali the options are warlord in Somalia, gangster in the west, or a lost case in both. The kid has a plan, he has a sense of attachment to a place he has never seen and he is willing to work (the end goal may change as he grows older) I think Somalia has bigger BIGGER problems facing it than obesity coming from the west. They are facing war, famine and starvation. You are barking up the wrong tree mate.

Somali kids need a good sense of identity as Somalis in order for them to balance the demands from their parents and society, otherwise they are going to grow up confused and with two feet in different worlds. They need to be at peace with their Somali identity in order to fit into this society. No one wants a dysfunctional person.

N.O.R.F   

Malika,

I think kids should forget about Somalia in terms of going over there to work or start a business. They should focus on trying to get a decent well paid job where they are today. Work in a peaceful Somalia in the future should be viewed as a bonus and not a realistic possibility.

Malika Mpenzi, Ibti Ina Abti, smile.gif;)

We somalis are known for our legendary nicknames, we do not shy away from calling a spade, a spade. :D

however for the record i do not call the boy fat boyb in real life.

He happens to be one of my favourite students and yes the students do go on about his weight, but if he thinks there is any malice in to why they saying it - he sits on them untill they cry.

as for what i think of his plan - well it is a plan and it is better than having no plan or worse plan. i was more amazed by the specific location in somalia that he wanted to open - maybe it is a family plan.

Norf1 - have you heard about a thing called a "myth of return" where by people even built houses back in their country but they are still empty fifty years later?

Malika   

^Ya all thinking small..

Norf,

Wanting to initiate positive links with country of origin shouldn’t be a hindrance to holding prominent positions in the host country, I believe it should be encourage rather then discouraged.

We [somalis] might not be Indians or Chinese but by heck we can learn from them how they have successfully been able to contribute greatly to their countries of origin and yet being at the top of the charts in their host countries.

Look at the Indian Diasporas nurturing links with India through culture and business which has made them a force to be reckon with worldwide in all sort of fields. The Chinese experience of building business networks and connections amongst the overseas Chinese has helped build huge business all over the world, even so their government set up special economic zones and gave preferential treatment for overseas Chinese to invest in their homeland which by the end of 2001,overseas Chinese invested nearly $300 billion in China.

This young boy’s dream of opening a fish & chip shop should be encourage, his dream will generate income for the fisher man, the farmer, the local merchant etc etc..

In the 70's there was a great movement by the Educated and business orientated Somalis from East Africa going back to the mother land to either work or start business. I know a gentleman that own pleanty of real estate in East Africa he had a whole street buildt in Somalia..Marka this boy is absolute on the mark,shame the grown men dont think like him..

icon_razz.gif

Malika   

^I know he doesnt mean harm,but too bad he had to go there.

Sayid, you started a topic which has generate a discussion then you go and get petty.. :mad:

Malika - thank you - you are proper muslim.

A&T - don't you know it is xaram to make people go against each other.

ha nagu saqajaamin ninyahow!!

Edit: have i upset Malika?, my sincere apologies Walaal, it was mere banther.