Sign in to follow this  
Khayr

Facebook + University Student Discussion Group = Cheating?

Khayr   

Ryerson student accused of cheating via Facebook group

UPDATED: 2008-03-06 10:45:27 MST

By THE CANADIAN PRESS

Email Print Write Size: A A A Share:

Facebook Digg Del.icio.us Google Stumble Upon Furl Newsvine Reddit Technorati Blinklist Feed Me Yahoo Socializer Ma.gnolia Raw Sugar Simpy Squidoo Spurl Blink Bits Rojo Blogmarks Shadows Netvouz Scuttle Co.mments Bloglines Tailrank Sitejot + Help

TORONTO — A first-year Ryerson University student is being accused of cheating after helping to run an online study group on Facebook.

Chris Avenir is accused of academic misconduct because of the site, where 146 classmates swapped tips on homework questions.

The 18-year-old computer engineering student faces an expulsion hearing Tuesday before the engineering faculty appeals committee.

Avenir, who is still attending classes at the Toronto school pending his hearing, can take his case to the university senate if he loses that appeal.

Kim Neale of the student union, who will represent Avenir at the hearing, says the incident has sent shock waves through student ranks.

Neale told the Toronto Star the Facebook site is no different than any study group working together on homework in a library. Ryerson officials have declined to comment while the case continues.

web page

Miriam1   

Ryerson is MAD if they are really going through this, what do they think students do with when stuck on assignments. His only mistake is making it public. With that same understanding they might as well ban student clubs that have past exams and assignments and TA's all together.

why would someone cheat.

my last exams was a week ago....... it was a take home exam they gave us a booklet and we had to answer the question and bring it in within a week.

80% of my exams are open book where you can even bring your own material ....... and for some I had my laptop with me with internet access .

how could you consider cheating then :D

Everyone cheats in Universities now days. You have waaay to many people that graduate with no real knowledge of their major.

Ibtisam   

Geel Jire :eek: What on earth?? Unless you are studying design, math or Art. You would have to crazy to even attempt to cheap at my uni, they even follow you to the toilet and stand outside your cubical door.

Som@li   

Back in Uni, I found open book exams, to be waste of time,how can one go thru the book, and finnish on time.

I remember once a professor in maths told students could take one A4 paper with furmalas during the exam.

On the day of the exam, I met this student who wrote with font size 5, and manage to write many pages of info into the paper. smile.gif

This is new to me as well.

during my undergrad years i have never had an open book exam but now most of the open book exams are math intensive courses where it would be impossible to memorize the equations or the steps involved.

Talking to someone else during the exam is the only thing that is now considered cheating....... what could someone else possibly tell me that i couldn't find in the textbook or reference book.

plagiarism is the thing to watch out for these days.... it is a good idea to an extent but some uni's take it to an extreme such as self-plagiarism :confused:

Pujah   

I was never fond of open book exams - it fools you into thinking you don't have to study for the exam when the reality is you must still study for it and only look up stuff once or twice to double check your work.

underdog   

Originally posted by Pucca:

cheating is needed sometimes...

:D Pucca, you're one of "those" huh?

I think the state of post secondary education in Toronto (maybe even Ontario) is in shambles. When you run the schools like a business with more emphasis on the bottom line and favourable stats, the only victims become the students. Over the years all these institutions have lowered their standards and made it easier for students to pass courses...regardless of what real knowledge is retained. As long as the institution/corporation posts the right kind of numbers to keep the board of directors happy and the books out of the red is perfectly acceptable.

Aaliyyah   

You should never cheat under any circumstance, and if you do well you should pay for the consequences and I can't say I sympathize such ppl.

Ibti, it depends what he is taking. I heard couple of advanced economic classes having an open book tests. But, then am assuming it is all about application and you have to analyze so the book alone open won't help you, all those equations are just a starting point, you need to have much deeper understanding of the material. But, you are right on a large scale university courses are not open book exams. But, it depends am assuming.

that is my 2 cent!!

you are right. if you do not understand the material the open book will waste your time.

Im doing an Ms in Electrical& Computer Eng ........ and the take home exam was a project management course with case studies that you have to solve..... so it doesn't make a big diff open/take home or not

I think the state of post secondary education in Toronto (maybe even Ontario) is in shambles.

How does someone who isn't a torontorian or from ontario or much less canadian have the right to make a statement towards our post secondary institutions?

Ryerson is a very respected univeristy, and I don't understand how you can just generalize the entire system in our province...

U doggy dog, please stick to prime time cable shows, and leave our uni's alone.

PS:Geel_jire, are you sure you are attending school for humans and not the school of geel knock. What type of institution allows that much open forum for you to log into your laptop or have that many open book exams? I would very much be interested to know how your university/college is rated in the country, please do share the info if you are comfortable with it.

My uni, they didn't allow any type of electronic device into exams, forget laptop, you couldn't even carry your cellphone into the class during exam time.(electronic dictionaries or translators for the asian community was a mabnuuc as well)

underdog   

Originally posted by LayZie G.:

How does someone who isn't a torontorian or from ontario or much less canadian have the right to make a statement towards our post secondary institutions?

Ryerson is a very respected univeristy, and I don't understand how you can just generalize the entire system in our province...

U doggy dog, please stick to prime time cable shows, and leave our uni's alone.

Ya need to check your sources, Layzie.... Where would you get the idea that I'm NOT from Toronto?

And quit trying to pick a fight.

My uni, they didn't allow any type of electronic device into exams, forget laptop, you couldn't even carry your cellphone into the class during exam time.(electronic dictionaries or translators for the asian community was a mabnuuc as well)

Laz, it depends the kind of exam u having; Open book exam which u can browse internet and do wat ever u think it helps; it is not an easy exam, it is quite complicated.

Take-home exam kan waa iska fahmi kartaa

And midka aad kor sheegtay, imtixaamadi hore, it seems malamahaan laga guurayo.....