Sign in to follow this  
Paragon

Queen Mary Somali Society: The Occupation of Somalia II (London)

Paragon   

3007692251_4c6400e8f1_o.jpg

Dear Friends,

Queen Mary Somali Society is proud to announce that it is hosting 'The Occupation of Somalia II. This is a follow on from last year’s event and seeks to analyse the current situation in Somalia and its impact on the region, with contributions from academic experts, political activists and Somalis in the Diaspora.

The Ethiopian incursion of Somalia brought a lot of strain to the strategic fabric of the Horn of Africa. What was expected to bring about hope and stability further aggravated the already existing divisions and pushed the country towards deeper economic and humanitarian crises. The event will attempt to take a reflective view on the worsened political, economic and social conditions that have taken place since the Ethiopian attack. 'The Occupation of Somalia II' seeks to inform and remind people of the current situation in Somalia.

Additionally it is intended to assess the current power vacuum in Somalia and to ask what young Somalis in the Diaspora can do to find solutions to the lack of political leadership as well as to challenge the tribal disunity that is damaging the Somali social and political structures.

***This is an independent, non-partisan event; instead it’s committed to the free exchange of ideas, freedom of expression and the unrestricted pursuit of unity and solidity among Somali people, with particular emphasis on what the Somali people can do collectively to restore peace and stability to Somalia and to bring an end to the current occupation of Somalia.

Kindest Regards

Awale Elmi

QMSS

Was not that smart brother one of the interviewees speaking at the BBC after UN envoy Ould Abdallah came at the end of June to SOAS, University of London?

Alhamdulillah, at least the youth is busier with more uniting themes than these anachronistic and short-sighted sub-clanic "shir beeleed".

Just like much sacrifices were consented for Djibouti's or Somali Galbeed's Liberation from the other side of the "frontier", likewise, many from Woqooyi Galbeed or Bari continue to shed their blood, whether it be those from the diaspora or the locals...

This is the confirmed list for this event. Inshallah I'm sure it'll be very beneficial and worthwhile.

So for those who can attend...please do. :D

Speakers Confirmed:

Mohamed Mohamud - Experienced Politician and Human Rights Activists - Human Rights in East Africa.

Omar Abasheikh – Barrister, London – The legal perspectives of the occupation.

Nordin Jahar - President of London South Bank University Students Union

Hozifa Taifoor – Expert on East Africa politics and strategy – Strategic consequence of the occupation.

Osman Abubaker - Chairman of the Somali National Party (Hanoolaato) - The Political Consequences of the Occupation.

Hiiraad - Somali Youth League - Unity and the role of young people in the development of Somalia

Ali Hassan - Former Somali Ambassador to the UK – Historical analysis of Somali- Ethiopian Relations

Raza Nadim – Spokesman, Muslim Publics Affairs Committee - A Political Lobby Group – Political Participation in the UK.

Zakariye Mohamed –Student of Psychology and Global Politics, Activist and Young Somali Leader

Samira Hassan – Poet – Performance of various poems about Somalia

African Development Trust - Somali Charity organisation - Charity Presentation for those affected by the situation in Somalia.

Ibtisam   

That is lots of guest for 2hrs, what do they each get 10mins to speak at 100miles per/hr or something. :confused:

P.s. I say only 2hrs, because although 6-9, it bet it won't start till 7.30pm.

Ngonge it is down the road from you, you lazy so and so, you could make friends with the SOL boys icon_razz.gif

NGONGE   

To do what, Norf? Listen to a bunch of people talk about the same issue again and again? I do that here already, saaxib. :D

Plus they've got someone from MPAC there. If I go I am sure to throttle him.

I wouldn't mind meeting Marcus though.

Ibtisam   

^^Why so?? If nothing else, they could learn about political participation in the UK and how they could make life a little more comfortable for themselves here in the UK. I do agree that it is a waste of time on the Somalia front. It is pointless debates- all meetings, and does nothing for Somalia. It just makes people feel better after they shouted a few times and blamed someone.

Ngonge:

Raze from MPAC is a nice little boy (20yrs old), A shike too, so don't worry about that :D