Sign in to follow this  
Nephissa

What Would Somalia be like..

Nephissa   

I got to thinking what Somalia would be like if we were a nation of one tribe. What would your vision of it be compared to today's Somalia? more peaceful? less hatred? more prosperity?

Nephissa   

Johnny Boy,

tribe:

n. social group comprising people united by a common denominator (usually ancestry, tradition, leadership, etc.), clan, people; group.

If only tribe X or Y or B had existed from the beginning of a Somali's life on earth, would that give us one less thing to fight about?

Jamster   

We are already one tribe! but we have different clans!.

But if we take your definition; then we would have the same sh8* we have as such clan will have sub clans and families vying for whatever there is.

Pujah   

I think it matters little whether we were one tribe or 4.5, we would still have had the same savages struggling over power and resources.

Kool_Kat   

Wouldn't the 'one' tribe have clans? Wouldn't the clans have sub clans? Wouldn't the sub clans have sub sub clans? Well you can see where I am going with this...So to answer your question, Somalia would've been the same!!!

Chimera   

Japan has 200 clans but there traditional lands are all in their borders, Somalia had states like the Ajjuuraan Empire that spanned 1 million + sq km and had various clans and non Somali peoples in it's realm. Fact is during the scramble of Africa Somali traditional lands were ripped apart which is why several Somali administrations after independence focused on retreiving these territories. All of that manpower and rescources would have been spend on Education and the economy if those Brits hadn't illigally given our traditional lands to states that can't even feed the groups there allready oppressing

didn't have the same sickening animosity you see today just click on the video and you will see a lively city consisting of all kinds of clans from allover East Africa. The leaders used this system to manipulate our people and we are still suffering from it

Uplift people's standard of living, educate them to the point their view of the world and their surroundings is not as myopic as before and pray Allah swt grants us a leader who does not engage in clan politics then Somalia will prosper very easily cause we allready have business savvy entrepreneurs who have set up a trade network throughout Africa and the Middle east and the rest of Diaspora which we can use as transit points or potential markets

Fabregas   

Somali clans have existed for thousands of years and I doubt they were in this current state all those years. There isn't a great deal wrong with having clans, there just like extended families.

I was watching something on T.V about the crisis in Somalia and one of the aid reps was asked if there was a humanatarian disaster in Somalia and he responded " there isn't a large scale humanatarian disaster because clans are creating networks to feed people and bringing them in their homes". But the problem arises with weaker clans who don't have that support, arms and money. Somalis clanism can be used in a good way and possibly even make Somalis very powerful. See the relationship that Imam Ahmad Gurey had with the Somali clans? Even though he was an Islamic leader, different Somali clans would come to him and pledge allegiance to him. Other times he would liase and sought to discuss events with Somali Elders.During the time of the Prophet saw it was clan elders(in Arabia) who converted to Islam and thus sometimes making large groups of people accesible to the teachings of Islam. The Awz and Kharaj fought hard for the Islamic religion and in Northern Nigeria the Islamic revival and the establishment of the Khilafah in that particular region was established and fought for by the Fulani and Hausa clans. The Ottomans were a group of people from the Othman clan. Knowadays you have young Islamists who think they can bypass the clan system and create some utopian system whereby clans are not even mentioned or accounted for, of course they will probably fail.

The problem in Somalia today is clan representation, political role models and clan grievances based on previous massacres.

We bring the worst of the people to any political conference. A clan won't bring their Sheikh, Doctor or Lawyer to a political conference because he will seem weak compared to the other rival clan who brought along their old hawkish warlord. You see every family wants a nin xoogweyn to represent them.

Today what you have are two approaches: one tries to sweep clans under the rug and tries to portray some utopian culture whereby clanism can be erased, the other bases its lifesupport on tribalism and everything those persons love, hate, kill, destroy and cooperate with is defined by the persons clan. The former is unrealistic and the latter is suicidal. Any future government in Somalia be it Islamic,Secular-Liberal or tribal will have to work through the clan system and account for every clan. I have a dream that one day Somalia will become an Islamic nation of god fearing and brave Clans :D

Xidigo   

^

If we are all of that nice things you have mentioned above,

then why are we slaughtering each other like savages with out any mercy?

Fabregas   

quote:The problem in Somalia today is clan representation, political role models and clan grievances based on previous massacres.

We bring the worst of the people to any political conference. A clan won't bring their Sheikh, Doctor or Lawyer to a political conference because he will seem weak compared to the other rival clan who brought along their old hawkish warlord. You see every family wants a nin xoogweyn to represent them.

p.s majority of Somalis in Somalia aren't slaughtering each other without mercy.

Johnny B   

^And you're only correct to the " continous tense" in your statement ?!, an attempt to understand the gist in what Xidigo's statement conveyed woulden't be to ask for?!

Back to the topic:

What is the meaning of belonging to a one-tribe nation if distruction is acheiveable in the clan/sub clan level?.

I once ended up in a room on Paltalk, the room held the name of an " outcast " clan name, i was curious to exchange with someone from the so called "outcast clans" once in my life, ( given that no one on SOL belongs to an "outcast clan" ).

It all went wrong (in my view) since i coulden't help but put on the guilty Tuxedo and went with something like " you know i grew up in Sweden, i don't believe in lower or higher casts",.

All of a sudden i was making the liberal-mantra the native Swedes used to make in my childhood, ( du vet , jag har inget imot svarta, bla bla ).

Beeing a victim of the very imaginary superiority of my to-belong-to Clan, i lost the opportunity to chit-chat a fellow Somali person and online at that, just becouse of the name of that Room.

I think the tribal-mind-set is indirectly supported or encouraged by the Islamic history, a history Somalis are so in-love with.

Some Somali Clans/subclans are vowed at to act and keep imitating one of those Arab tribes in the Islamic history.

It seems that to belong to the prophet's(PBUH) tribe is the Somali clan fuel.

Somaliand is peaceful and has been for many years. We landers have never killed one another so please don't generalize.

Its best to specific when you make a comment like " slaughtering each other" .

Johnny B   

Originally posted by Promegranate:

We landers have never killed one another so please don't generalize.

Its best to specific when you make a comment like " slaughtering each other" .

please disprove the girl and while on it , support that claim of yours.

** leans back , reaching for his Coffe ! **