Sign in to follow this  
LANDER

244 pilgrims killed during Hajj

LANDER   

Rather sad, the Saudis have known for years now that the Hajj is often overcrowded and leads to these deadly stampedes. Yet the best answer they usually give is "it's God's will" which is a half truth in the sense that God pre-ordaines every event but it doesn't mean the accident was unavoidable in the practical sense. They have ample money and they should have renovated or better organized the pilgramage long ago. Now they claim the renovations will take 20 yrs!! bunch of incapable bedouins. May Allah have mercy on the souls of the dead pilgrims

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/3450333.stm

Saudis review Hajj danger points

There was a panic after some people collapsed near the stoning area

Saudi Arabia is setting up a high-level group to redevelop Islam's holiest sites following a stampede that killed 244 people, according to reports.

Disaster struck at the ritual "stoning of Satan" at Jamarat Bridge in Mina, near Mecca - site of similar incidents.

Some two million Muslims took part in this year's Hajj rituals, which reached their climax on Saturday.

Fifty-four Indonesians, 36 Pakistanis and 13 Egyptians were among those who died, according to an official list.

HAVE YOUR SAY

My mom, brother, and brother-in-law are performing Hajj this year. I am extremely worried

Arif Chowdhury, College Station, Texas, USA

Send us your comments

Fifty three were of unknown nationality; 11 were from India; 11 from Turkey; and 10 from Bangladesh.

Another 10 came from African countries.

The Hajj - a key obligation for Muslim faithful - was continuing on Monday as pilgrims left the plane of Mina, site of the Jamarat columns, and headed for Mecca.

There they will perform a final circumambulation of the Kaaba, the black cubic structure in the centre of Mecca's Grand Mosque.

Preventive measures

There were more reports of jostling at the sites on Monday, with police giving warnings by megaphone and ambulances seen among the crowds.

But there have been no reports of further deaths or major incidents.

HAJJ DISASTERS

1997: Fire kills 343 pilgrims and injures 1,500 at camp in Mina

1994: Stampede near Jamarat bridge kills at least 270 pilgrims

1990: Stampede in crowded tunnel leading to holy sites kills 1,426 pilgrims

1987: About 400 killed - mainly Iranian Shia pilgrims - in clashes with Saudi forces

Click here to see where the stampede took place

The ritual at Jamarat Bridge - in which stones are hurled at pillars representing the devil - is usually the most dangerous part of the Hajj.

Physically exhausted after three days of rites, thousands of pilgrims converge around the pillars to cast their stones before beginning the religious feast of Eid al-Adha, when animals are sacrificed.

Last year 14 pilgrims were crushed to death during it, and 35 died in a 2001 stampede.

The Saudi authorities said they had tried to avoid stampedes this year by urging people to perform the ritual at different times.

They also tried to control numbers by setting quotas for pilgrims from each country and requiring their citizens to register.

But this year some pilgrims were "not organised" and their personal belongings caused obstructions, said Hajj Minister Iyad Madani.

"There was more than 400 metres of people pushing in the same direction (which) resulted in the collapse of those next to the stoning area... and those behind. That led to panic," he added.

Reuters news agency quoted SPA as saying King Fahd ordered the formation of the Committee for the Development of Mecca and Medina following the latest disaster.

The committee - which will have its own budget and be funded and supported by all the kingdom's ministries - will draft a new layout for Mina and other holy sites.

The Saudi Press Agency said the re-development project at Mecca and Medina would take 20 years.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

J.Lee   

I was shocked when I heard it on the news and couldn't believe it that it happened as I watched it. May they rest in peace and be rewarded with paradise

Now they claim the renovations will take 20 yrs!! bunch of incapable bedouins

Brother pick you critisims carefully, that those who died's time had come was something the saudi authorites or the best authoritries couldnt and cant prepare or mitigate against.

May allah forgive their sins ameen, mashallah they died in the best way, treading the path towards allah.

Raxmah   

May allah bless them with janatul fardus.

Their time was then - and no plan would have made any difference.

May allah take our last breath in good action. Ameen

Warmoog   

I don't really view the incident as a 'disaster' or 'tragedy' because Hajj is the best place to die. Nonetheless, it's kinda sad and I hope they all rest in peace. The Saudi government should learn a lesson from this and make a few improvements. Example: they could instruct the pilgrims in various languages... not just Arabic. Considering pilgrims come from all over the world and don't always speak Arabic, it seems like the logical thing to do.

Salaama.

normally when I hear some1 has died I get shocked & sad but today it's diffrent. no sadness b'coz they died during HAJJ maasha-allah, but nevertheless ilaah ha u naxariisto and may Allah grand them jannatul fardows.

Rahima   

normally when I hear some1 has died I get shocked & sad but today it's diffrent. no sadness b'coz they died during HAJJ maasha-allah, but nevertheless ilaah ha u naxariisto and may Allah grand them jannatul fardows.

So true walaahi.

May Allah accept their Xajj, forgive them of their sins and grant them the best of final dwellings, Jannatul Firdows.

LANDER   

I understand it was their time to dye and nobody can refut that fact, and you can even say there is no better of dying then while performing the holy pilgrimage. But it is irritating when people say "their was nothing we could do about it". That is the type of mentality the muslim uumah has come to accept, and it is our greatest flaw. This isn't the first time this happened, nor will it be the last time it will happen if something is not done quickly.

here is a short chronology that can be found on the original article. The problem is, this type of incident happens too often!

1997: Fire kills 343 pilgrims and injures 1,500 at camp in Mina

1994: Stampede near Jamarat bridge kills at least 270 pilgrims

1990: Stampede in crowded tunnel leading to holy sites kills 1,426 pilgrims

1987: About 400 killed - mainly Iranian Shia pilgrims - in clashes with Saudi forces

Buubto   

Inaa lilaahi wa inaa ileyhi rajicuun

Lander

No doubt it is tragedy but what u need to understand is, a human being can’t prevent any thing without the will of Allah. Their time was up though is sad but they couldn’t have died better place then performing hajj. Is impossible to control millions of people. Plz bro don’t sound like the west who have no faith (iman) whatsoever and blaming the accident on the saudi’s, is their way (west media) of sending wrong image of islam world. Stop critising Saudi government, they deserve respect and appreciation, they do their ultimate best to look after pilgrims & the two masjids. If you ever been their u would have known the great job they have done in the past and still doing.