Sign in to follow this  
-Serenity-

A Somali Proverb

Hello Somali Experts!!

I need you to help me understand a Somali proverb - 'Isqor bilaa liis'

I was under the impression, it means qof isku qora liis (i.e. list - after all, alot of northerm Somali words have their origin in english) oo loogu tala galin.

Laakin a couple of people were trying to tell me about it referring to milking cows/sheep and the various nomadic statuses in nomadic society.

Cara.   

If "liis" is English, "isqor" is Somali, and "bilaa" is Arabic, that would make this the most concisely multilingual proverb ever :cool:

nuune   

Maahmaah ma ahan waxaas yaa Serenity,

Maahmaahda qaab bey leedahay iyo tusmo

is qor bilaa liis is more like expression, and it simply means qof meel kasta madaxa la galo, ama waxaan loo dirsanin sameeyo, qofkaasi waa is qor bilaa liis.

^my question isnt answered, so taadu ha noo dambeyso.

Anyways, i was asking about the ORIGIN of the idiom/saying...

Any ideas people?

^ It's Ciyaal Xaafad/Bayzaani lingo, maybe reer Waaberi whom rest of Xamer didn't understand, or either Boondheeri or Xamarjadiid.

Cara...I thought Liis would be Talyaani.

Cara.   

Che, I haven't the faintest to be honest.

The candidates for liis:

Italian (what does it mean then?)

Somali (verb, to milk)

English (list)

I hope it's either English or Italian to fit my fancy :D

Faheema.   
Serenity Bari hor hore hore, 19 kala yaacii ayaa rag baa maqaaxi fadhiyey, sheeko cajiib ah ayay wadeen, ninkaloo dhinaa kale fadhiya ayaa shaw sheekadooda la socda, markaas buu isagoon is ogawn ku idhii ragii waar yaadaheen, sidaa idinkulama taliyeen, waxaaan idin odhan lahaa sidan iyo sidaa sameeya ninkii xagaas buu sheekadii kala bilaabay ragii. Ka bacdi, markii meesha laga kala dhaqaaqay buu idhi nimankii mid kamidihi, waar Isqor bilaa liiskan xaguu nagala qaaday, and that is how it was originated :D

^Sheekada sounds too proper. Me thinks more of teenage thing.

Cara-It couldn't be a Somali simply cuz number of vowels. To milk be Lis not liis. This expression is concoction of Soomaali, Taalyaani, iyo Carabik coined by Ciyaal Xaafad.

Originally posted by Che -Guevara:

LooooooL@Nazi

Speaking of etymology,does anyone know where the name Maana Boolyo (xaafad in Xamer) originated from. Cara take a shot.

I think it did originate from the Talyaani word, monopolio. Of course, Ingiriiska as well borrowed it, via Latin, calling it monopoly. Why was it named or how it originated? I don't know, koley in uu suuq ahaan jiray u maleynaa, later expanding to xaafad.

A lot of Talyaani terms loogu wici jiray xaafadaha, iskoolada, kuliyadaha Xamar ku yaalay. Kuwii iskoolada were wiped out by the Kacaanka, a few good things it did, hence we are glad we call them Xaawo Taako, Cismaan Geedi Raage, Baarbe, Yaasiin Cismaan. Many of them used to have Talyaani names. Some stuck to this day, though: Martiini, Kaasabalbalaare, Fiya'eejito, Fila Soomaaliya, Ansalooti, Aargada...

-----------

Isqor bilaa liis is an oraah [a saying], not maahmaah. It is also important to note it is isqor bilaa liis, not lis, where the milking confusion part arises from. It is shaqaldheer, liis, not lis.

It means qof meel iska sharaxay without being invited and who has the least concern of it. It also laga wadaa qof u hadlo qof kale isla qofkaas laga hadlaayo joogo meesha, and without specifically being addressed or requested to talk on the behalf of that person.

And yes, the word 'liis' Ingiriis kasoo jeedaa, list. I think the phrase explains itself. One who invites him/herself where his/her name is not on the list, yacni asagaaba qofka isqoraayo.

Go to and see your typical Soomaali aroos xafladiisa and you will see plenty of uninvited isqorayaal guests at there, and criticizing shamelessly arooska iyo aroosada for no reason at all -- bariis qalalan ayee meesha keeneen; ma aragtay see isku soo caddeysay; muxuu ku arkay taasna qaabka daran ninkaas; see ugu dheertahay ma aragtay; yaa yiri isla ciyaara wax ciyaar yaqaano ma'ahee... Maba isoga no body invited them to be there in the first place.

Castro   

Originally posted by -Serenity-:

Hello Somali Expert[...]

Hello.

I need you to help me understand a Somali proverb - 'Isqor bilaa liis'

He (or she) who is uninvited yet sticks their nose into others' business/conversation/gathering, etc..

I was under the impression, it means qof isku qora liis (i.e. list - after all, alot of northerm Somali words have their origin in english) oo loogu tala galin.

Close but not quite. Bilaa liis means "without a list" so there's no list to write on. Literally. This person is signing up when there's no sign up sheet. ;)

Laakin a couple of people were trying to tell me about it referring to milking cows/sheep and the various nomadic statuses in nomadic society.

Stop hanging out with perverts.

Originally posted by -Serenity-:

That gave me a good chuckle.

Tuujiye   

^^^ what the F!!!!!!!!!!!!! waraa cadaan iska doon doonkaa la iska dhigaayo maxaa waaye (That gave me a good chuckle. ) Aqas!!! Valenteenah war bajaq yahee sida isku dhaan yaa rabi!! (chuckle) man!!! aloo yaa ogaado wili sharci ma qabtid!

Wareer Badanaa!!!