Sign in to follow this  
Pacifist

HOTEL RWANDA (A MUST SEE FOR ALL)

Pacifist   

One of the most powerful movies.

Ten years ago, some of the worst atrocities in the history of mankind took place in the country of Rwanda; and in an era of high-speed communication and round-the-clock news, the events went almost unnoticed by the rest of the world. In only three months, almost 1 million people were brutally murdered. In the face of these unspeakable actions, inspired by his love for his family, an ordinary man summons extraordinary courage to save the lives of over a thousand helpless refugees by granting them shelter in the hotel he manages. Paul Rusesabagina (Don Cheadle), the Hutu house manager of a four-star hotel who took in 1,628 Tutsi refugees at great personal risk.

In 1994, while the U.S. news media obsessed over the O.J. Simpson murder trial, the Hutu army in Rwanda was busy committing genocide against one million of its fellow citizens, the Tutsis.

What, exactly, is the difference between Hutus and Tutsis? Seems the Hutus have the darker skin and wider noses, while the Tutsis have the lighter skin and narrower noses. You can thank the Belgians for that artificial distinction, which led directly to the 1994 Tutsi genocide.

--------------------------------------------------

of my Co workers at a public forum

We swoon at 170,000 people killed by a Tsunami, where's our support for a movie where 1,000,000 people died not by uncontrolable natural disaster but by avoidable genocide? This movie should be playing in every theater in the country. People don't want to watch what hurts their conscience. It has major stars like Nick Nolte, Don Cheatle, and Joaquin Phoenix, so no one can claim it's got a weak cast. It touches the sensitive subject Europeans (and white America) interfering where they do not belong, and segregating people based upon physical features and political views. Then abandoning these cultures to heal the animosity and breach alone. It happened in 1994 and it will happen again, and again.

-------------------------------------------------

The sad thing is yet again Hollywood biased. This movie is not showing nationwide.

There's no way film can convey the complete awfulness of genocide, of hundreds of thousands of bodies dead or maimed, of senseless horror and human hatred and essential madness. It's a subject too dreadful for art, too given to sentiment and disbelief, too hard to watch while too important to ignore.

Early in ''Hotel Rwanda,'' a cynical television journalist (Joaquin Phoenix), who has just videotaped a massacre a few blocks from his hotel, shows the damning video to the hotel's worried manager, Paul Rusesabagina (Don Cheadle). Paul becomes elated. He is certain that these images, when televised abroad, will force the West to intervene in the ethnic strife consuming his country.

But the reporter knows better. ''If people see this footage,'' he growls, ''they'll say, 'Oh my God, that's terrible,' and they'll go on eating their dinners.'' Ten years after the fact, those remarks come as a stinging slap in the face, for he was right. Source NYTIMEs

Yet again it happens in Darfur and yet again We will go on eating our dinners.

I couldn't stop crying the whole time I was watching the movie. My dream was to work inshallah for the UN but I know realize the my voice will not make difference to such matters, but to create inshallah some day my very own human rights organization. We live every day life while others die in the hands of their very own people. Our very own Somalia, Bosnia, Kosovo, Rwanda, and now Darfur and many more. When will we stop killing each other for cause so unworthy?

What will it take the world to help or intervene in this genecide. Another million dead or what?

Pay special attention to the scene that the Nick Nolte is talking to Paul about the UN peacekeepers living and he say the your not even a Ni&**# but your African.

Watch the movie and please share your views.

Mwili mwani Hasna

Excellent movie

When the movie started I heard Umqombothi By Yvonne Chaka Chaka.

Remember the days in Soweto by the salaula Mayo :D

I stood up in the theater when i heard African Freedom. All I was missing was the Chinde Kwana. :D

The movie was very disturbing. But I agree with you its a must see.

Go to run be later to write my comments

I remember the Tutsi or the Watusi as they call themselves back in the late eighties when i visited Rwanda.They are a noble people who's hsop[itality is unmatched.I was stuck in one of their villages near the Marama Hills National park and they welcomed me saying that i was one of the forefathers as a somali and as always i was impressed with their greetings "Muraaho" they are a beautiful race

raula   

Originally posted by GuinaVere:

...When the movie started I heard Umqombothi By Yvonne Chaka Chaka.

Remember the days in Soweto by the salaula Mayo
:D

I stood up in the theater when i heard African Freedom. All I was missing was the Chinde Kwana.

....umenikumbusha home kabisa na nyimbo hizo. Thx.

Orgilaqe-duuq iyo nus baad tahay icon_razz.gif

Iffah   

Hasna

I agree, that was a very powerful and moving film. I don't think I've ever cried at a movie, but I couldn't hold back the tears while watching this particular film. I guess because it has opened old wounds, knowing that our people have faced a similar circumstance.. :(

One question still rings in my mind and that is, how can people be so cruel? The same question asked once by Paul's friend.

Pay special attention to the scene that the Nick Nolte is talking to Paul

"We (the west) think you're dirt, less than dirt, you're worthless. You're not even a nigger — you're an African."

Sadly, that is the answer as to why the world turned a blind eye to this massacre.

Pacifist   

Originally posted by raula:

quote:Originally posted by GuinaVere:

...When the movie started I heard Umqombothi By Yvonne Chaka Chaka.

Remember the days in Soweto by the salaula Mayo

I stood up in the theater when i heard African Freedom. All I was missing was the Chinde Kwana.

....umenikumbusha home kabisa na nyimbo hizo. Thx.

Orgilaqe-duuq iyo nus baad tahay
icon_razz.gif
Raula And Guina I understood what u mean.

Guina I was dancing to Yvonne too walahi I remember the days in Soweto too. The little Hoodlums we chased away.

Ilham quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pay special attention to the scene that the Nick Nolte is talking to Paul

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"We (the west) think you're dirt, less than dirt, you're worthless. You're not even a nigger — you're an African."

Sadly, that is the answer as to why the world turned a blind eye to this massacre.

My blood boiled we i heard that. I tried to walk away from the movie but i just couldn't. Thanks sis

Hasna,

Maa dadka beenta ka deysid, waan is ognahay aniga iyo adiga labadeenaba mid Shaleemo aado ma jiree. Waxaad filmka oo dhan ka aqrisay Newspaper Critics. Markaas baad iska dhigeysaa qof film-ka soo fiirsaday. Horta aad fiirsatid ma xumee hooyaad makaa yeelee Shaleemo ayaan aadayaa?

Point # 2, Yaa ku raacaayo hee, waa ogtahay shaleemo bilaa wehel gabdhaheena ma aadaane.

Point # 3, Film-maanta Hindiga ayaa lagu yaqaanay gabdhaha iney fiirsadaan si ey caaqasha ku jira qalbigooda u luxluxaan, oo ilmo iyo murugo la wadaagaan atariishada waliba markii lagu daadiyo.

Point # 4, Naga daa hade, film-maanta ma fiicnee!

I thought the movie was the best i have seen in ages.

If it doesnt win and oscar, am gonna decline the invitation they sent me.

one thing tho, how come it didnt adress the RPF's counter murdering?

STOIC   

Great movie that turns the emotional button!unless you are nitwit you will not take holliwood movies as a fact based.Two thumbs up for Don Cheadle!