Sign in to follow this  
Jabhad

I never expected this to happen in an Islamic country: Raped Somali woman says.

Jabhad   

SANA’A, Feb. 8 — Following their Feb. 4 release, several Somali refugees complained of horrific treatment they experienced in Yemeni prisons.

Refugees spoke of rapes that occurred to some married women by security forces. They described those committing the rapes and their leaders who instigated them as brutal and awful, lacking Islamic morals.

At HOOD offices, a woman who was raped painfully described the cruel treatment of many Somali men and women: “On the night of Saturday, Dec. 17, 2005, Central Security soldiers stormed the gathering of about 2,000 refuges in front of the UNHCR office in Sana’a.

“I saw many men, women and children dragged and beaten. The soldiers kicked and trod on pregnant women, children and old men who could not move. They also put women and their babies before water hoses and poured cold water on them. They hit them with clubs and gun butts on all body parts without distinction. One man died and they broke the hands, legs and heads of many other men and women,†she recounted.

The woman continued: “I fell down and the soldiers dragged me to a nearby building under construction. Several of them began raping me brutally. Some tread on my hands with their heavy leather boots, another pulled my hair, while others raped me. The same thing happened to other Somali women. I never expected this to happen in an Islamic country,†she concluded.

Another refugee described his misfortune and that of other refuges with the UNHCR, which was supposed to protect and look after them, but turned out to be a foe instead. The man demanded UNHCR office managers and the protection office manager be interrogated for their roles in encouraging conflicts between the refugees. He also demanded refugees’ voices be heard by UNHCR in Geneva to send a committee to solve their problems. They also demand education, residence, health and legal rights, as well as protection from inhumane prison treatment and appointment of a lawyer to stand with them against what they term Yemeni security harassment.

In a related issue, HOOD sent a report to the attorney informing him of the Somali women’s rape cases by Central Security soldiers. It also reported refugee complaints against UNHCR and some police stations.

The Yemen Times will publish more details in its next issue about a meeting with Mohamed Naji Alaw, General Secretary and head of HOOD.

HOODOrganization for Defending Rights and Freedoms Executive Director Lawyer Khalid Al-Anesi said to the Yemen Times:“The organization will demand international investigation on activities of the General Commissioner for Refugees’ Affairs working in Yemen and detect its role causing quarrels between Somalis and Yemeni security apparatuses during last year’s sit-in in protest of the commissioner’s behavior toward refugees that claimed lives of several.â€

He added:“The request raised by the commissioner to police to disperse protesters was illegal and unconstitutional. The commissioner must be held to account for the sufferings of refugees in the Yemeni territory.â€

Source: Yemen Times, Feb. 08, 2006

Castro   

So if they don't drown on the way to Yemen, this is what awaits them? Ya Allah. There's only so much a human can take.

Zafir   

Yaa Allah, I am extremely sensitive to this type of news (concerning Somali women and children in unjust) walaahi my state of mind reverses at these times, Oh my poor Somali people. How much can these poor innocent folks endure (seeing so much hardship they seek refuge and this is what they get).

I let it rest in hands of Allah (sw), Ilaahayoo uga aar aduun iyo aakhiro ba.

"Qawm (dad) Allah ma duleeyo illaa ay iyagu is duleeyaan" - Quran.

"Lax walbaa meeshay is dhagtaa lagu qalaa" - Odhaah soomaaliyed.

Unukaa meesha is dhignay. But it is damn sad!

Zafir   

^^Am really tired of Adnagaa meesha is dhicay crap, How do you figure geel-jire? These poor people that got beaten and raped (for no apparent reason) didn’t destroy Somalia, one can only assume they fled to Yemen for the same reason you (geel-jire) fled to wherever you are, betterment of life. How is that their fault saxxib? How? If anyone is to blame is those makhnuud carabs. Period

Foxy   

^^^Sadly, many of us love to do nothing but blame others.(makhnuud carabs, why do you insult a whole race??) So in somalia rapes dont happen because its there where the Glorified Noble humans live!

cheers

Zafir   

Foxy, anger might have had the better of me. Unjust on innocent people anywhere isn’t acceptable in my view. What hurts me even more is the fact we can’t do anything for them. Allah be with them

Salaam,

Somali men is responsible of all this because of Un-necessary wars, Clan wars, tribal wars and unfinishing wars which destroyed their men who used to take care of them, destroyed their little houses and destroyed their livelihood,Ok I agree rape was there in Somalia long before wars but not in this scale they found to be raped in every content and the four corners of the world.

A sisterly advice to a Somali woman.(By Safi Abdi)

Save your tears, dear

Worlds a place of fear

You were not born in heaven

Travel back in time, regain your sight

Its crucial that you keep sanity intact.

Lament not your case, or mine

Lest the ignorant we cheer

In this parched land of ours

You're a lone breeze my dear

What rain-drop, in her right mind,

Would mingle with a roaring ocean?

Save your tears, dear

In these dark days of ours

Keep your lids arid, waterless

like the cliffs of this house divided.

But then there is a weapon in Patience

Never has Hope ever lost a soul

And none has monopoly over Air.

Copyright ©2005, Safi Abdi, All Rights Reserved.

Janna   

Sharmarkee

The Yemeni government do not have the right to treat people in such a manner. Just because Somalia will never form a proper government doesn't mean Yemeni's should abuse those vulnerable individuals. Somali men or the Somalian government cannot be held responsible for the actions of a Islamic country.

Originally posted by GEEL-JIRE:

"Qawm (dad) Allah ma duleeyo illaa ay iyagu is duleeyaan" - Quran.

"Lax walbaa meeshay is dhagtaa lagu qalaa" - Odhaah soomaaliyed.

Unukaa meesha is dhignay. But it is damn sad!

^^^Sadly, many of us love to do nothing but blame others.(makhnuud carabs, why do you insult a whole race??) So in somalia rapes dont happen because its there where the Glorified Noble humans live!

cheers

Why should you mention a muslim country...It happens everywhere and it is sad.. smile.gif

Khayr   

If all that is posted about Muslims and Muslim nations is UGLINESS, day after day, month after month, year after year....then how in the world

can you FIND BEAUTY in ISLAM? :confused:

Mumia, what was the purpose of you posting this on the General forum, then the next day you posted it in POLITICS.

Janna   

Brother Khayr,

We cannot ignore these acts of brutality also unislamic. The person who posted this topic surly did it with pure intentions showing us all what Yemen is doing to people. The ugliness of some Islamic countries must be showed and not kept hidden. If kept hidden such a country like Yemen would continue. Islam is a clean religion which tells people to live in a acceptable manner, Yemen and other Islamic countries should not be taking advantage of the purity of Islam.

Stop the corrupters and let us all hear/see the truth.

Goodness :D:D Khayr..If UGLINESS is written for islam day in day out..Still The person who started the thread should have labelled the thread this way..

"Raped Somali woman say?" Better off.someone would have read it happened in Yemen which happens to be have a sizeable muslim populations.There are some few christians though.

But writing ...."like "Raped under ISLAM..." Why didn't you also write like

"Raped in Yemen"(Instead of mentioning ISLAM)..

I think it is a high time we go back to the basics of ISLAM.It doesn't condone Rape and has high moral respect for women among it's ideals.

and Alexus Knows the truth always.. :D:D:D

Castro   

Originally posted by Khayr:

If all that is posted about Muslims and Muslim nations is UGLINESS, day after day, month after month, year after year....then how in the world can you FIND BEAUTY in ISLAM? :confused:

Check this ugliness out, right out of this article:

The soldiers kicked and trod on pregnant women, children and old men who could not move. They also put women and their babies before water hoses and poured cold water on them.

And this:

The woman continued: “I fell down and the soldiers dragged me to a nearby building under construction. Several of them began raping me brutally. Some tread on my hands with their heavy leather boots, another pulled my hair, while others raped me.

Aan u ceeb-qarino our fellow Muslim Yemeni soldiers. Is that it Khayr? We can protest the bloody Danes but we should cover for these brutal b@stards. Of course, they're our brothers in Islam. Their ugliness should not be reported as it might take away from the beauty of Islam. You're a millimeter away from sounding as asinine as Yonis Qutb.