Sign in to follow this  
grasshopper

I don't drive...and that's OK with me

I'm in my mid-twenties and I don't drive. people tell me I should be embarrassed to admit that. but i'm not =)

for some reason, I've never been compelled to get behind the wheel of a car and the only reason I got my driver's license was so that I can use it as photo-ID :D I'm not scared of driving, I'm not a tree hugger and my refusal to drive is not a manifestation of my inability to take control of my life!

I don't think I'm missing out on much. and besides it's so damn expensive. what with rising oil prices and the congested roads, I think I'm doing myself a favour. and until somebody reigns in these insurance companies, I'm not sure I can ever afford to drive.

Anyway, long story short: I don't drive, probably never will and I'm damn OK with that :D long live public transportation!

Are there other non-drivers out there?

Ibtisam   

I do not drive, because I do not feel the need right now. It easier to get around without a car. Although when it rains and in the winter... I sometimes think I should.

Drive if necessity dictates it, not just for the sake of driving. I think it is necessary for families, for young people who live and work in cities, it easier and less expensive to use public transport and there is certainly no ceeb in that.

Do not live your life to please others, fit in or for the sake of it. Do what you need to do or what is good for you. smile.gif

Ibtisam   

Neph: I'm glade your signature is back...but what happened to my true love, who's picture you use to host for this cause?? icon_razz.gif :cool:

Lool @ MS DD and Neph. Leave him alone. It will help him avoid the users and gold diggers. What does he want miid who wants him for his car anyway? I say it makes the filtering process easier.

I don't drive too.

Neither did my father back in Djibouti or other relatives here in Europe, albeit my mum did sometimes (just a bit more convenient for picnics, going to the beachs ect when offered a public car for instance).

Why create a need that doesn't exist for many people, especially when doctors are encouraging people to be more active (even urban planners are urged to "force" people to use their muscles)?

Nephissa   

Ibti and Ms DD: A friend brought to my attention that grasshopper is infact, a female :D .

Appologies to my sister. Let me retract my earlier comment, it's perfectly fine to be a female in any age without a car. What are men for anyway? To be our taxi-service, ofcourse. :D

ps. Ibty, the dude is my new found love. you can take my old one.. ;)

don't worry about it Nephthys =) it's weird but this isn't the first time it's happened to me lol!

anyway girls, your reactions were pretty funny when you all thought I was a he. are you saying you wouldn't give a guy a chance if he didn't drive or have a car? icon_razz.gif

grasshopper sister you dont need to drive if you dont have kids. Save your money but if you have kids than I think you do. As for me I cant live without my dodge carvan.

Originally posted by chubacka:

^ NO! wot has he been doing his whole life?! :mad:

looool! really? but what if he was a really nice guy who has his sh!t together?

ONE, you have the same car as my family =) yeah with kids I guess it's necessary, I rarely see entire families on the subway lol

winnie   

can't drive because i dont have time to learn... plus i think i would be a nervous driver which means i'd need more time than the average person. montreal is good for public transportation, but it sucks cause sometimes you wanna be able to do stuff for yr parents that require a car, and ya cant.