Sign in to follow this  
Thinkerman

The Beauty of a Camel

UAE stages first camel beauty contest

Camels enjoy love and respect in the UAE

_1809599_camel_ap_300.jpg

Camels enjoy love and respect in the UAE

The United Arab Emirates has held its first national beauty contest for camels with a prize fond of about $27,000 and various trophies for winners.

"The aim is to mark the respect and love the UAE have for the camel," member of the UAE's National Federal Council Faraj bin Hamouda told the Khaleej Times newspaper.

In a special statement, Mr bin Hamouda stressed that the camel was the best companion of his countrymen during the pre-oil era, and the competition in Abu Dhabi would help to pass that feeling of respect to the younger generation.

The aim is to mark the respect and love the UAE have for the camel

Faraj bin Hamouda

The contest was held in four categories - adults, individuals, under 2 years and the camel studs, with two winners each pocketing top prize of almost $2,000.

Camel is a favourite animal in the countries of the Gulf region, where camel racing is a national sport with huge bets often placed during tournaments.

In 1995 a camel was sold in the UAE for $500,00, and only last month a local man bought a camel who won a big international race for $156,000.

Source:BBC

Friday, 8 February, 2002, 15:38 GMT

N.O.R.F   

The day of the 'benz' and the 'bimma' its a welcome change for arabs to recognise the important part Camels played in previous generations. I may enter the competition with my Camel back home :D

Og-Girl KSA Won with that Blick Camel :eek: :eek: , i feel that fowl play has occured in this year's competition :D .

I think its an interesting way to try to preserve Tradition and recognise the importance played by past main-stay's now considered outdated and obseclete.

Perhaps somali's can do something similar, and in the spirit of the current Climate why not Ruwayid Star 2004/2005 a race to find the nxt 30-40 yr old singing sensation :D

Funny though :D:D:D Camel Beauty contest, i wonder what next.

Hey Afro-Bruv with

In 1995 a camel was sold in the UAE for $500,00, and only last month a local man bought a camel who won a big international race for $156,000.

Dont you think i havent sent my whole heard there already for next years competition :D

Paragon   

Blimey, those camels surely do look 'chic'. How come our 'geel-jire' club hasn't heard of this competition?

Xaraggo iga dheh!

OG_Girl   

LOL@Black camel.Can you believe I did not pay attention before..lool.. I will try to tease them about that :D

Salam

N.O.R.F   

lol, whats the silver deco on the camel, looks like the new space age 'camel Gti', export anything across the desert within a day, just like DHL :D

Paragon   

^^^ I am curious. Horta, when were you crowned? And I wonder what your crown looks like ... lol .. am looking at the above camel's crown for clues .. ;)

N.O.R.F   

lol^^^

I crowned myself after an SOL political coup, hence my dictatorship take over, watch your spot mate, i'm after your job, if u object i have my bokorad with me ;)

Paragon   

I crowned myself after an SOL political coup..

Lol that explains it. No wonder SOL was down for so long. And I wasn't aware of it back-online till one of your close-associate's (sujui) told me of 'googling' to access SOL..

I hope it was an ..Af-gambi uusan dhiig ku daadan.

Curly   

lol!

Just when you thought you've seen it all, they go and do something like this!!!

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

God, has the world finally gone MAD!

Oh and north why Stepney?!! Hardly something to brag about!

Oh and pop in if you're nearby,lol!

N.O.R.F   

Oh and pop in if you're nearby,lol

as soon i come out the mosque i do a runner, too much sheko iyo xan round that place for me to stay too long. Plus i dont wanna get you the sack anyway! :D

The aim is to mark the respect and love the UAE have for the camel.

God Almighty. Where is the respect and love for the young boys that are abducted from the sub-continent to race these creatures?? Boys as young as two are bought or kidnapped from their homelands, forced to go hungry(to keep their weight down), are given no education or decent care and risk injury and death.

When they've outgrown their use, they're either given some work(if they're lucky)but always face the risk of being imprisoned for being an illegal immigrant or are dumped in some random country nearby.

More money than sense. Shame. Shame. Shame.

http://www.camelraces.com/

http://www.uaeprison.com/camelkids.htm