Sign in to follow this  
Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar

About your Soomaali

Puuja, Reer Koonfurta saan ayee u kala isticmaalaan:

Qareer = bitter, sour. Those are the literal meaning. It can also implied in the sense of being in the state of resentment, begrudging and envious about others.

Qaraar = go'aan. Resolution. Mostly used in the context of the statements from governmental and nongovernmental organizations, such as Gollaha Ammaanka [security Council]. "Gollaha Ammaanka ayaa maanta qaraar 1456 kasoo saaray ..." It is a borrowed Carabi word, that is why I the only closest word I could find being to go'aan, the closest Soomaali equivalent.

-------------

Xaliimo, it is awlaad, not 'awaad.' But I've realized it is Carabi as I suspected, so that leaves us only word known being ilmo. Ilmo is fine.

-------------

...for example. if its from the word "abaaso" for a snake (or adder - i don't know if we differentiate between them) - it could literally mean "snakes children"

and the 'oow' ending like Ciyaaloow can be used in many terms for example 'Ciyaalkeygoow' to mean o' my children .. but then you could also say "Cilyaalkiisoow" to mean o' his children, however it sounds wrong.

Does anyone have an idea on the restrictions on the 'oow' ending?

Baas and abeeso waa kala duwanyihiin, duqa. It is abeeso, not abaaso. Baas, on the other hand, has the connotation and on the sense of being one cursed, one who seems to always have some bad, evil spell happening to him or her. Unwanten or miser news, as "wax baas" or "war baas."

About oow. Oow laba ayuu u kala baxaa: a prefix and suffix. When it is a prefix, it is spelled aw [i.e., Awkuuku, Awkoombe, awoowe being examples] and oow as a suffix, dhibloow, gaaboow, etc.

Aw/oow are gender specific. Solely used to a male gender.

Ay/eey [same as ay being a prefix and eey being a suffix] is for female gender and follow the same lexical laws. Ayeeyo, Aymaayo, Ayfaay, etc. Caddeey, macaaneey being the other examples.

Aw is used in the context, mostly, when it accompanied by real names or well-known nicks attributed to persons, some real, such as Awfaarax, and others being nicks, such as Awmaar, [Raage Awmaare's surname, though he spells 'Oomaar' where most wrongly assume a corrupted name of Cumar.] Aw means, literal or not, "the father of ..."

So when we hear the names or nicks like Awkoombe, it literaly means 'the father of koombe' [koombe which means qasac = can] since he is short. However, it is not strictly literal since he is not exactly the father of can. Or one can also say 'koomboow,' but it has a more aura in the aw context. Oow, though having the same base meaning -- i.e., "the father of ..." -- and unlike the aw, has the unfortunate of having a less connotation, less aura surrounding the it, thus we have yariisoow, kuusoow [awkoombe and kuusoow having the same meaning, but you can see it feels different], etc.

It is same explanation and natural language as above with ay/eey. Ay follows the same context and way as aw, and eey [yariiseey, kuuseey] as oow.

This is even extended to 'aboow' and abaay' words, which interestingly has the same root word of ab, only oow/eey (aay) being different, following the grammatical rule.

What is more interesting, though, is that 'ab' is believed by some where Soomaalida kasoo faractameen as an ethnicity, that is why you heard that well-used phrase of "ab iyo isir uma lihin," meaning it is and was not the dhaqan of our forefathers. Ab also has the base root of 'abti' and 'abtirsi,' which the latter is obvious, meaning 'counting the forefathers.'

------------

Saldhig Carabi ma'aha, taas anaa kuu haayo. Laba erey 'sal' iyo 'dhig' ayuu ka koobanyahay. 'Xoolana' goormee noqotay Afcarabi?

Xoole dhowr micno [Carabi kale] ayuu yeelan karaa, oo laga wado xoolaha, laakiin aniga kan maalka ayaa keenay ama wealth. In Soomaali context, it is used xoole as a wealth.

Fadhi kursi waala dhihi karaa, oo fadhi kaliya ma laga wado living room. About waxgarad being macalin, that is the closest meaning we have in Soomaali. Macalin kama wadin the sense Soomaalida use as a dugsi macalin, but qof waxbartay in a sense of 'mutacalin.'

About qani, it is an old Cushitic word. Perhaps it is them, the Carabs who borrowed, not vice versa.

Xaq = daw ama gar

Kursi = Fadhi gambadh/gambar/wambar I am not sure abt this.

Macalin = Ba-re

Xabsi = saldhig? not sure abt this

Qayaano = dhagar

Taajir = maal-qabeen, badar-kunoole

Qani waa carabi rasmi ah waayo there is this aayah where Allah CW says: Walaahul Qaniyu Wa antumul Fuqaraa a" so waa carabi saxiix ah

Maal = Hanti

Qadarin = tix-galin

Kobtaas kasii wad MMA-ow barida soomaaligga adeer

Cara.   

Originally posted by hodman:

quote:Originally posted by Xalimopatra:

MMA-Awaad?Never heard of it...Hooyo speaks af Carabi so I will ask her if it is.Sounds Soomaali-ish tho.

So you notice too how many af Carabi words we use too?Lol

^^ Xalimo I think the one word ur looking for that means children is "waraso" ever heard of it?
I've been trying to remember that word for two days!

Originally posted by Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar:

About
oow
Oow
laba ayuu u kala baxaa: a prefix and suffix. When it is a prefix, it is spelled
aw
[i.e.,
Aw
kuuku,
Aw
koombe,
aw
oowe being examples] and
oow
as a suffix, dhibl
oow
, gaa
boow
, etc.

Aw/oow are gender specific. Solely used to a male gender.

Ay/eey [same as
ay
being a prefix and
eey
being a suffix] is for female gender and follow the same lexical laws.
Ay
eeyo,
Ay
maayo,
Ay
faay, etc. Cadd
eey
, macaan
eey
being the other examples.

Aw
is used in the context, mostly, when it accompanied by real names or well-known nicks attributed to persons, some real, such as Awfaarax, and others being nicks, such as Awmaar, [Raage Awmaare's surname, though he spells 'Oomaar' where most wrongly assume a corrupted name of Cumar.]
Aw
means, literal or not, "the father of ..."

So when we hear the names or nicks like Awkoombe, it literaly means 'the father of koombe' [koombe which means qasac = can] since he is short. However, it is not strictly literal since he is not exactly the father of can. Or one can also say 'koomboow,' but it has a more aura in the
aw
context.
Oow
, though having the same base meaning -- i.e., "the father of ..." -- and unlike the
aw
, has the unfortunate of having a less connotation, less aura surrounding the it, thus we have yariisoow, kuusoow [awkoombe and kuusoow having the same meaning, but you can see it feels different], etc.

It is same explanation and natural language as above with
ay/eey
Ay
follows the same context and way as
aw
, and
eey
[yariiseey, kuuseey] as
oow

This is even extended to 'ab
oow
' and ab
aay
' words, which interestingly has the same root word of
ab
, only oow/eey (aay) being different, following the grammatical rule.

What is more interesting, though, is that 'ab' is believed by some where Soomaalida kasoo faractameen as an ethnicity, that is why you heard that well-used phrase of "
ab iyo isir uma lihin
," meaning it is and was not the dhaqan of our forefathers.
Ab
also has the base root of '
ab
ti' and '
ab
tirsi,' which the latter is obvious, meaning 'counting the forefathers.'

------------

Saldhig Carabi ma'aha, taas anaa kuu haayo. Laba erey 'sal' iyo 'dhig' ayuu ka koobanyahay. 'Xoolana' goormee noqotay Afcarabi?

Xoole dhowr micno [Carabi kale] ayuu yeelan karaa, oo laga wado xoolaha, laakiin aniga kan maalka ayaa keenay ama wealth. In Soomaali context, it is used xoole as a wealth.

Fadhi kursi waala dhihi karaa, oo fadhi kaliya ma laga wado living room. About waxgarad being macalin, that is the closest meaning we have in Soomaali. Macalin kama wadin the sense Soomaalida use as a dugsi macalin, but qof waxbartay in a sense of 'mutacalin.'

About qani, it is an old Cushitic word. Perhaps it is them, the Carabs who borrowed, not vice versa.

The Master has once again spoken. Thanks much saaxiib. War hoy inta MMA noolyahay wax kala hara. Allow ma taliyey :D !

Jacpher   

Miis is Arabic? Miis as Miisaan/Miqyaas? Miisaanka dhameystir. Or miis as table/desk?

Maal = hanti or xoolo.

hodman   

Originally posted by Cara:

quote:Originally posted by hodman:

quote:

Originally posted by Xalimopatra:

^^ Xalimo I think the one word ur looking for that means children is "waraso" ever heard of it?
I've been trying to remember that word for two days! [/QB]
:D It's not a word that pops up in normal everyday conversation that's for sure :D It used to crack me up when someone uses it for some reason

MMA Typo walaal,please excuse it.I asked hooyo also and she verified to me that it is indeed af carabi.

Thanks for all the help walaal.

Originally posted by Ladif:

Xaq = daw ama gar

Kursi = Fadhi gambadh/gambar/wambar I am not sure abt this.

Macalin = Ba-re

Xabsi = saldhig? not sure abt this

Qayaano = dhagar

Taajir = maal-qabeen, badar-kunoole

Qani waa carabi rasmi ah waayo there is this aayah where Allah CW says: Walaahul Qaniyu Wa antumul Fuqaraa a" so waa carabi saxiix ah

Maal = Hanti

Qadarin = tix-galin

Taajir maalqabeen ma dhihi kartid maadaama 'maal' oo Carabi ah ku jiro meesha. Kursi fadhi waa noqon karaa ama gambar, inkastoo aan inaa u micneeyo rabay ka dhaafay marka damba maxaa yeelay gambar hadda micno gooni ayuu yeeshay.

Xabsi waa saldhig anaa taas kuu haayo. About macalin, waa isla garan weynay aan u maleynaa.

Mutacalin ayaan ula jeeday, oo waxgarad aan aan u sharxay. Xaq gar ma noqon karto. Xaw waa 'truth,' garna truth ma laga wado. The closest meaning in English to gar is 'reason.' And I don't think xaq and reason have the same meaning. So, I still stand with my old definition oo ahayd dhab ama run.

Maalna xoole ama hanti waa noqon karaan, ee adigaa diidanayd xoola in loo fasiro.

Ereyaddaan soo socda kuwa u dhigmo Afsoomaaliga waaku yaryihiin ama qaarkoodba waa siibteen marhore: Fasir, micneyn, laakiin, fahan [inkastoo 'laakiin' badanaa loo micneeyo sidaa daraadeed and fahan as garasho]. Kuwa kale ayaa jiro aan hadda xasuusan.

Xiinfaniin, waa iswada barnaa afkeena, duqa, oo in la wada bartana anagee noo wada fiicantahay. Adigaba yaa kugu gaaro xataa horta.

Jimcaale, Carabigeey eber waaye oo shaki aa iiga jiray in uu miis ahaa erey Carabi. Shakigeey inaa iska raacaa ii dhaantay. Ereyga kale shakiga iiga jiro waa sariirta aan u maleeyo Carabi yahay.

Xaliimo, hokey.