Sign in to follow this  
Umm al_khair

germans speaking somali

dawoco   

Abaayo dnt be surprised, some time ago i was at my sister's house when jahova's witnesses came 2 visit looking for my brother-inlaw. It was soo funny, he was jst walking down the stairs, literally turned around and went back up.

It was no problem for me of course, i really love having discussions with jahova's witnesses they r so surprised 2 have some1 actually willing to talk to them. It is so easy 2 disagree with them in a manner that isn't hostile, they get all confused, bless them. Laakin that's besides the point, let me get on topic.

The two ladies had come to visit b4 and wanted 2 learn the somali language some more because they could already say subax wanaagsan/galab wanaagsan, see la yahay. They wanted 2 get to the though bit so that they could have chats with somalis that mayb were isolated from the rest of society because of language bariere. They wanted not only to be sociable, but to spread the good word. I could just imagine an elderly somali cursing them down the street walle, sayin some jini taught them somali 2 corrupt muslimiinta.

They were nice, laakin their motive was highly dubious. And i cnt help but wonder how many other "linguist lovers" have some sort of twisted goal behind the learn somali motivation.

raula   

Ukhti Muslimah-George Kapchits(the Russian) is actually a professor of Somali in (if Iam not mistaken) Berlin University(or one of those prestigious Russian Universities). His history is kinda blur to me currently-but if Iam not wrong I think he said he used to work for RADIO MOSCOW(laanta afsomaliga in the beginnings)? and then he took it from there and became a full-blown professor in somali. He has written several books regarding somali and he is very much INGRAINED into our culture more than many of us or (in that matter) his own age.

I met him when he came to Minneapolis last summer and his historical abstracts were by far the most amazing things I have ever seen a naturalized somali utter(meaning his history accounts)to say the list. He has also an impressive [quite an extensive] collection of SOMALI MAHMAHYOOYINS(Proverbs) in his lifetime.

Dawaco-lol@about Jehova Witness

Weird I never seen a Jehova Witness speaking Somali before.

Russian who is a professor of Somali incredible

But you know the funny thing I always thought learning Somali was difficult and now I even see Asians with turbans (Sikhs) speaking in it.

nuune   

more about him,

In 1967 he graduated from the Institute of Asian and African Studies of Moscow State University. Qualified as a linguist in the field of Somali and Amharic studies.

From 1967 to 1994 worked as a broadcaster in the Somali Section of Radio Moscow's World Service.

Since 1994 has been working as a commentator at the Information Department of the State Radio Company "Voice of Russia".

Lectured on the Somali language at the Universities of Moscow and Berlin.

Twice visited Somalia: Mogadisho in 1989 and Hargeisa in 2001. Visited Jibouti in 2003.

In 2000 defended PhD thesis on the Somali syntax. Married, with two daughters.

Waa Xildhibaan Maskax Dhuuqe

Salma   

Yeah Raula,Dr.Georgi Kapchits has an interesting maahmaahooyin book called "Qaamuuska Maahmaahyada Soomaaliyeed" The Dictionary of Somali Proverbs. My father didnt believe me when I told him that the author is a Russian man.

raula   

^^^^True. (that was published in 1998)

His last book is also a collection of Somali Maahmaahayoyins published 2002 named: HUBSIIMO HAL BAA LA SIISTA-TO KNOW SOMETHING FOR SURE, ONE WOULD EVEN PART WITH A SHE-CAMEL: Somali Proverbs: A Study in Popularity-By G.L. Kapchits.

The interesting thing is that he dedicates the book : "To my teacher Alexander Zholkvosky, pioneer of Somali studies in Russia"-Amazing.

Sincere   

There numerous foreigners who have fallen in love with the somali languange; learnt it, and dissected/documented their findings. (I.M lewis, Andrejewsky etc) Some time back I had the priveledge of meeting a very impressive lady called Lidwien Kapteijns. Her knowledge and command of the somali language is impeccable. Her apprehension of Gabay's, baranbur,culture and litreture will put many a native nomad to shame (including me). Here's her Full Bio

Not only did she marry a nomad (by all accounts that ive heard) she also plays a major role in the boston somali community. Commendable.

Since 1994, she has been actively involved with the Somali community in Boston. She is co-editor of the new international journal in Somali Studies called Bildhaan and co-founder of the Boston-based non-profit organization called the Somali Institute for Research and Development (SIRAD)