Sign in to follow this  
Cowke

Weris Diriye Film Coming Soon. (Trailer)

NGONGE   

Originally posted by chocolate & honey:

Seeker ,

It is no HER dirty laundary but rather that of a sick society and it needs to be exposed. She is NOT alianating anyone worth attracting. If the mere fact of her occupation has people running for the hills, then those arent the type to take on this kind of struggle to begin with.

Is FGM related to being a model now? You don't half talk nonsense sometimes. :D

Kool_Kat   

She didnt exaggerate. She is on point. *
Warning: Graphic
The cutting of the inner she is talking about is the *thing* they cut off first, then they scrape it clean(or attempt because there is muscle under the fat?), then they tighten the opening even more, then trim the labia :eek: What people dont understand is, this is a MAJOR surgery thats being performed by people with no medical training.

The way I understood was the inner/outter she was referring to were minora and majora! :eek: Cuz the way she shows it in the movie is as though the scaring could be seen if she just lifts her undergarment...Which could be miss leading...Anigii baaba shaki igalay!!!

C&H

You said,

Separate the issues You and I agree that FGC should be banned. You and I agree that there has to be some awareness of the issue. What I am trying to convey here is the fact that before the Western society came galloping on its white horse with their anti FGM slogans, these societies were working on eliminating the practice. The educated, literate part of the society had medicalized the procedure. It was a step in the right direction that got derailed by the war.

My response,

First of all, I never thought you were for FGM. Second, there is nothing to seperate in my mind.
Yes some community members have been working on eradicating this practice. More awereness and funding wont take away from that now will it? Say, some Norweigan woman finds out that such practice existed. Say, she gets outraged on behalf of the victims and decides to raise funds. Where will that money end up? Do you think she'll fly solo and knock on doors? No, she'll get in touch with people who are already doing ground work. So I dont see how more publicity takes away from those people.
Mideeda kale, Medicalizing FGM might've decreased infections and mortality rate but it is certainly not the right way to go. We don't need to DO it safely and we need to be done away with this shit.

Change is not instantaneous and won't occur from an outside source. True and everlasting change is going to have to come from within the society and implemented by the society. The new generation (the ones in the West) are not going to practice FGC. So who is practicing it? The ones who are illiterate and uneducated and live in a closed community.

Yes again, We NEED funding and awereness. You can hand out brochores full of horrible images all day long in the rural areas but if you DONT have grants and manpower, you have nothing at the end of the day.

Do you really think if you want these women to change their ways ostracizing them is the way to go about it? Dee, if all you want is people to read your book due to the shock factor, follow the storyline that most FGC stories follow, I got mutilated, I got forced into marriage, I ran away, I came to the West and I got saved!

No one is ostracizing them. In fact, they are the true victims. And I dont understand about "The Shock Factor" you're alluding to. If those things happened to Warris, why can't she talk about it?? And why can't she disclose that she isnt the ONLY victim of such circumstances.

But if you want to stop this practice there are ways to go about it that will actually eliminate the practice. It has been done by many societies including the Bedouin society in Isreal.Educate the people, create a health dissemination system, debunk the myth of religiosity, get the men to pledge they don't need infibulation to prove virginity, provide a different source of income for the traditional women who perform the surgery, provide a lesser alternative like nicking (yes I said this for really even a cigarette smoker needs nicotine in another form when quiting), research the traditional values of the procedure and find ways to override these societal values. BUT I repeat that the women who live in the boonies mentally or physically are not going to change their ways just because an outsider, informed by Weris narrative, comes and tells them to.

All the steps you've listed are good. And why are you so sure that someone who lives in Somalia will not understand the evils of this practice?

I am not against her talking about it nor do I care what her occupation is. She should absolutely be free to talk and I am free to point out the sensationalism of the tale and the ripple effect it has on the very people who deal with it on a daily basis. There are many narratives of FGC and each one is different. What her tale does is give a single brush stroke to an entire mural and she should frame it thusly

The whole "sensationalism" comments baffles me because I fail to see how relating to what happened to you is sensationalizing. Say, I left my office today and got into my car and as I was putting the key in, some drunk person smashed into my car rendering me unconcious. Say I woke up and related the event of that day and how drunk driving is bad and that it kills more people every day. Can I be accused of "sensationalism"? NO! So why is it when Somali women open their mouth about REAL life experiences, they're media whores? It is not as IF she made the whole thing up.
:confused:

Here is a statistic for you, only 15% of all FGC are infibulation or fircoon. You know what the media portrays.........? Every black, muslim woman from Africa is infibulated. And who do you think stokes those fires?

15% might be the estimate of all that practice FGC or FGM but in our case and in Ethiopa's, Egypt and even Iraq it is waaaaaaaaaay over 15%. Also, anything other pricking as found in the Sunnah is playing with fire wether it is type I or II.

Finally C&H, talking specifically about the state you and I both reside in. Some women, of a certain age set,skip out on yearly visits to the docs because of the whole FGC issue and recently have taken to applying a certain gel from some Middle Eastern country that re-suture their openings after birth. Are you really going to stand there and tell me that Weris' book or movie is actually going to make a difference for them? That they will be able to talk to their doctors openly and honestly? Or worse find compassion from doctor's informed by rhetoric that terms them as barbaric?

I didnt get this last part at all. Are they not seeing their doctors because of the FGM or because they want to be born-again-virgins ?? I'm more concerned with children being forced to go under this procedure. If grown women want to open and shut genitals for whatever reason it is up to them.

The way I understood was the inner/outter she was referring to were minora and majora! Cuz the way she shows it in the movie is as though the scaring could be seen if she just lifts her undergarment...Which could be miss leading...Anigii baaba shaki igalay!!!

KK, this is that kind of Fircooni she is talking about. There are pictures if you want to google :

excision of part or all of the external genitalia and stitching/narrowing of the vaginal opening.Extensive tissue removal of the external genitalia, including all of the labia minora and the inside of the labia majora. The labia majora are then held together using thorns or stitching.

Nothing remains but the walls of flesh from the pubis down to the anus, with the exception of an opening at the inferior portion of the vulva to allow urine and Menstruation|menstrual blood to pass through,

NG, you're confused. LET IT GO! Seeker wasnt talking about her profession.

SeeKer   

^C&H, my bad hon. With all due respect, If what I replied to you still makes you nitpick through the argument like you are walking a landmine, there isn't much sense in engaging in this discussion smile.gif

Ps:- I didn't refer to Weris as a media whore lol. She is doing what she believes is right and I believe if her goal is eradication she is going about it in a manner that will have minimal impact . I will end with this, those committed to eradication of FGC will do well to frame their response as a socially contextualized, culturally informed, sophisticated alternative that maximizes respect, appropriateness and effectiveness.

quote:Ani koley hadey is qaawiso iyo hadey James Bond movie ka qeyb qaadato wax igama galin, ilaa iyo hada waxaan dhaafi la'ahay the way ee gudniinka usheegtay in the movie...The whole cutting 'inner' and 'outter' then sewing whatever that's left together baa iga dhaadhici la'...If that's the case, what's there left to sew baan fahmin?

She didnt exaggerate. She is on point. *
Warning: Graphic The cutting of the inner she is talking about is the *thing* they cut off first, then they scrape it clean(or attempt because there is muscle under the fat?), then they tighten the opening even more, then trim the labia :eek: What people dont understand is, this is a MAJOR surgery thats being performed by people with no medical training.

Seeker

It is no HER dirty laundary but rather that of a sick society and it needs to be exposed. She is NOT alianating anyone worth attracting. If the mere fact of her occupation has people running for the hills, then those arent the type to take on this kind of struggle to begin with.
In other words, she's had her clitoris removed?

That's pretty cruel and sick, as far as I'm concerned.

^C&H, my bad hon. With all due respect, If what I replied to you still makes you nitpick through the argument like you are walking a landmine, there isn't much sense in engaging in this discussion

:cool:

Shabeel ,

Yes and that isnt the only damage.

Somali Maxamed.. Sensationalist -yaal iga dheh. Waxaad ayada ku eedaynaysaan baad idinku samaynaysaan

Dudes & Dudettes, don't read too much to the whole "she is this, she is that, modelling is horing blah blah blah" huu haa and more blah blah

Let me simplify it. She is an uneducated (reer miyi girl) who became a model by chance and she wanted to use her 15 minute of fame to get world attention to her pain. She did it the only way she could or knew. CRY about it, sensationalise it and make the media cry with her. Simple!

She is not intellectual, nor a leader. She has no Islamic education what so ever nor is she a social scientist/commentator. She didn’t pretend to be something else or claimed to be any thing other than reer miyi girl turned model.

In what way are you expecting her to talk about something she felt is the most painful experience she have gone thru? Certainly if she downplays her pain, no one will buy the book or will bother to listen. The book and her cries were towards the west not reer miyi girls or Somali girls. Her assertion is if I get enough international attention towards the FMG, I have done my share, I feel I have contributed to the cause against FMG.

So Somali Maxamed, if you want to do something about FMG Do it your own way! Don’t waste time and intellect on criticising others. When do we ever learn?

Cheers

Maaddeey   

Gudniinku sow dhaqankeenna maaha!, timaha tidcan & guntiinada waa OK kanse Maya?, ama ha la wada qaato ama ha laga wada tago! ;)

Tuujiye   

lool@ Maadeey... adiga nimanka lagudaayo maa ka hadloosaa mise gabdhaha? guntiino iyo sakiin hadaa isa soo ag dhigtay, nin naxaayo ma tihid...aniga iyo MMA aa naga daran tahay calaashaan dhaqan jeceel...

NNC, 12 page aa gaarsiisay fiiri meeshaan!! ma neeftuureysid?

Wareer Badanaa!!!