Sign in to follow this  
Ibtisam

Confusion and turmoil

Ibtisam   

Hello guys.

There are times in life that you really really want to do something (in this case bag packing by my self). But I know that I should not from a Islamic perspective, safety etc…

How do you decide which road to take.

1)Don’t go :(

2)GO: I’ll ask for forgiveness when I come back: which is not valid because I’m choosing to do a wrong, what if I die? :confused:

3)Go with my friend<< which is worse from an Islamic point of view because they are male! But at least I would be safe!

4)Just GO. I’m thinking too much. :confused:

p.s. i have already booked my ticket :(

You don't want to hear what I think...but you will anyway!

Backpacking by yourself will get you killed. Have you not been reading the newspapers? Do you know how many backpackers have been raped and murdered in South East Asia and Australia in the last 2 years? And most were travelling with their friends and in grps!

Latin America is just as bad and I can only imagine what might happen to you in North Africa.

What's wrong with a resort holiday? City breaks? Why must you rough it? Why?

Grrr...If you were my sister, I would beat you up and then lock you up.

Ok ok, maybe I wouldn't... :mad:

See, I told you you wouldn't like what I had to say.

Adventures are good and travelling will broaden your horizons and give you some great experiences, but...u need to keep your safety in mind.

Btw...am very jealous. ;)

PS: If you already booked the ticket, what's the point of asking for advice? You just want to give ppl a hard time, eh? Cruel girl.

PPS: Majority of travellers not only make it back, but they find it an extraordinarily valuable experience. And lots of fun of course.

Ibtisam   

:( yes but there are also many people who travel and come back well and alive!! You did not tell me anything new, my friends have been screaming the same things in my ear since I told them.

EDIT: No I’m thinking of cancelling. i booked it on the spare of the moment thing. Only thought about after

^ Well yeah, I suppose most ppl would have the same reaction. LoL.

How thought-out is this trip? Do you have the money already or do you plan to work as you travel? How long do you expect it to last and what, exactly, will your route be? About the ticket, are you likely to get your money back if u cancel?

Details, woman. Details!

-Lily-   

Ibtisam, if your parents are fine with it, GO.

Why dont you go with girls? I plan to go with my sister insha allah & maybe my friend as well. I was hoping to do this when I finished uni but decided against it for same reasons as you did. Now I wish I had gone though.

Why does backpacking have to be dangerous, dirty tents and in groups? You can have a very decent adventure without all the hype.And why not visit big cities and stay in well known areas?

Safety is paramount, as you have figued it out. Unofrtunately I must agree with Ahura, too many dead ppl as a result of carelessness. analyze the situation and stay objective, neither go with irrational fear or over confidence.

Don't give up so soon!

Ibtisam   

From London to France, To Spain across to Morocco, to Algeria to Tunisia, across to Italy, back to France and London. It should be quiet cheap and if need be i could always work while travelling. Have bit saved up! lool. I would be gone for 3months.

water:

hhhm yeah i'll look into it and get back to you. And my girl friends have controlling parents. they are not allowed to come!! :(

-Lily-   

Sounds like an organised trip. However, have you thought through exactly how you will get from your intial destination, from A-B, on to D-E? People tend to compromise their later trips.

It might be safer for example, to head directly to N Afica, travel safely, therefore going to less places but do it in style. France, Spain and Italy can be visited cheaply all year around. Just an idea.

Ibtisam   

yeah i know how i will get from A-B etc

the thing is, next year, i have to go back to depressing studying. planning to do my masters. This summer is the only time i will get the chance to do what ever the hell i want :(

i have friends all over these places as well which i can call on if things go a bit wrong, so i guess thats one good thing.

^ Ditto.

Ib: Insha'Allah Kheyr. Go and enjoy it all.

Keep a journal and take loads of pictures. You can turn it into a book for your kids later.

Oh and set up a blog as well. :D

nafta   

Ibti, looks like you're more confused now than you were before!

Back packing is an adventure and with adventure comes exitement as well as danger. If you have really thought this out and planned your trip well, then there should be no worries. Im assuming you're going somewhere around June so that should give you more time to figure out what you're going to do, etc etc.

If it were up to me I'd just go, it's a once-in-a-lifetime experience and rather sooner than later (who knows when you'll get an opportunity like this again?).

Just plan well and carefully, have plenty of cash on you as a job overseas is not always guaranteed.

G'luck! ;)

Arawella   

Ibt

Maybe I am a pru but I'll advise you to take travel insurance, First aid kit and all the right jabs.

This is a great opp to cherish and definitely not be cancelled. So go for it!

Espero que tenga gran tiempo! ;)

Khayr   

Salams,

Have you thought about going for Ummrah instead?

Alhamdulillah, it is a sign of Iman that your desires conflict with your deen and that you are AWARE of this. Meaning that you have a conscious that speaks LOUD to you at night when you are in bed alone or praying to Allah etc.

The better road is often the less travelled one and the more difficult one to take.

Inshallah, make your Istikhara salat and ask yourselve what your Intention is for going on this trip.

Money comes and goes, so don't mourn too much if you lose out financially (easier said, then done). Think of the finiancial loss as giving Allah a 'Goodly loan' (Who is he that will lend to Allah a goodly loan, then (Allah) will increase it manifold to his credit (in repaying), and he will have (besides) a good reward (i.e. Paradise). Sura Al Hadid

There is a dua that I say when I'm confused about a route to take in life, a decision I have to make etc...

'Allahuma aarinaa Al-haqq haqqan waa arzuquna ittibacaxu waa aarinaa al-battila battilan waa arzuquna ijtinaabaxu'

'Oh Allah show us the right way as the right way and let us follow it and show us the wrong way as the wrong way and let us reject it'

Fi Amanillah

-Lily-   

That's a good idea Khayr, but going umra without a guy isnt easy, unless you have one at your disposal. :D

Ibtisam   

Luna and laVie: thanks; lool at life insurance :D

Khayr.

i would love to go Ummrah, but i have no maxrum, so i can't. i'll have to wait for my 8yr old brother to get a bit older and magical appear in London :( thanks for the duca's smile.gif

water; lol