Sign in to follow this  
Castro

UK Social Trends

Castro   

Births out of wedlock 'pass 40%'

The proportion of children born outside marriage in the UK has leaped from 12% in 1980 to 42% in 2004, according to the Office for National Statistics.

In contrast, 15 other EU countries had an estimated average of 33%, the annual ONS' Social Trends report said.

The average UK household size fell from 2.9 to 2.4 people from 1971 to 2005.

This was due to more single-parent families, smaller families and an increase in households of just one person, the ONS said.

ONS editor Hayley Butcher said: "Although most children are born to married couples, this substantial rise in births outside marriage is a reflection of the rising trend in cohabiting parents."

From 1986 to 2004, the percentage of non-married people under 60 who co-habited rose from 11% to 24% among men, and from 13% to 25% for women.

Living alone

The number of households in the UK increased by 30% - from 18.6 to 24.2 million - between 1971 and 2005.

The average household size fell from 2.9 to 2.4 people over the same period.

Some seven million people lived alone in 2005 - representing 29% of all households, up from 18% in 1971 - the ONS said.

The ONS said that in the 1980s and 1990s one-person households mainly comprised older women, who tended to live longer than men.

But recent years had seen an increasing tendency for people to live alone at younger ages.

The largest increases in the last 20 years had been among people aged 25 to 44, and men from 45 to 64.

The ONS' Social Trends study also reported that young men were more likely to live with their parents than young women. Some 57% of men aged 20 to 24 lived with their parents in 2005 - up from 50% in 1991 - compared with just 38% of women - up from 32%. [ :eek: ]

"Some young people may remain at home while in education or because of economic necessity, such as difficulties entering the housing market," the report said.

The Social Trends study's other findings included:

* In spring 2005, one in five full-time employees reported usually working more than 48 hours a week.

* Passengers travelling to or from overseas countries through UK airports (excluding transit passengers) almost quadrupled between 1980 and 2004, from 43 to 167 million.

* More than one billion journeys were made on the national rail network each year in 2003-4 and 2004-5 - the highest level since 1961.

* Transactions using debit cards increased ten-fold from 1991 to 2004, while credit card transactions trebled.

* The number of UK households that owned second homes abroad rose 45%, to almost 257,000, from 1999-2000 to 2003-4.

Source

-Lily-   

Don't be so shocked, women are just as go-getters as men. I think what's ineteresting is that so many people live alone. There was a programme a while back on lonely Britian. The first thing people do after uni and job is get their own place. Having said that I don't know how long it's going to last. Housing is just ridiculesly expensive, in the London area at least.

Castro   

This spells disaster in the long term for the UK socially. I'm sure the rates are no better elsewhere in western nations but these numbers on children born out of wedlock are staggering. Many of those living single will end up alone all their lives and these outrageously expensive areas are really squeezing young people out of having a decent life. They're forced to either delay leaving home (if at all) or live in sub-standard housing. I suppose its time to migrate to greener pasture. Though a perfect land does not exist, there are still many countries and cities that suffer not from many of the ills mentioned by the study. I'm glad I'm neither single nor twenty something. It was a bloody weird time of my life.

STOIC   

I guess no one wants to slap the groom on the shoulder, throw some rice in the air and kiss the bride if you can download kids without strings attached.In view of what the report states, I think the "know it all" generation needs a reawakening alarm right from the cradle of infant.This is a time when the most timid of a girl/boy is transformed into furious audacity all in the name of "experience".

Zafir   

The North American theory of men being afraid of long term commitment (but look forward to short term ones “intimacyâ€) has somehow made its permanent mark our equals. :D Hey, I am liberated.

Blessed   

The UK has the highest teenage pregnancy and abortion rate in Western Europe. Somalis teens are also increasing becoming more promiscuous. :(

Apart from good Education, Britain doesn't have much else to offer.

Maybe it has alot to do with the western culture and media propagatin "Imagine YOU" and "Perfect for you", personal space and Individualism. Maybe the stats show everyone wants to live the dream alone' and cant stand the fact to share the sweet pie. Maybe that's why these people are so afraid to commit, and the though of being responsible of kids kills the whole "YOU" image. Maybe what i am saying makes sense, Maybe you would like to avoid that fact and come with an opposing view, maybe you will and maybe i will hear it. :D

Blessed   

I meant that Britain has some very good and accessible universities but not much else to offer us as a (poor) community. Waa sababteynu meesha ugu wada jabney :D I should know, I’ve been there and bought the t-shirt before packing my bags.

As for the article, I agree that some Somalis pupils (particularly boys) are underachieving but the issue is a little exaggerated in the piece. Just ask the UK nomads.

Secondly, many Boroughs in London have addressed the problems highlighted by this writer and his recommendations have been put to practice but despite all these efforts those who can’t be bothered, fail.

I myself have worked as a community Liaison Officer (Education) for two different Boroughs. In my experience, I found that Somali (parents) demand a lot but don’t like to put much effort in educating their children or themselves. Only sensible children and those with devoted parents succeed, but isn’t that a universal phenomenon?

Blessed   

^I don't know adeer. I don't see any improvment in the motherland, so I guess, we'll just have to keep moving on like nomads....

Castro   

I just hug my kids a little tighter every day. It seems they're growing up into a world they know not what misery it holds. I weep for them and all the innocent ones yet to be born and those who are already suffering here. :(

-Lily-   

40% of children in the UK are privately educated. This means that the rest either make it to selective grammer schools or have to suffer through the state system. Unfortunately bad housing usually comes hand in hand with bad schooling. Schools that do well are those that do not have rowdy pupils, who have standards and whose pupils return to clean & 2 parented homes at the end of the day. Its a simple formular.

It's a pity Somali children are falling through the cracks. It's such a messy situation. Very sad indeed.

Cara.   

I suggest Somali parents in Britain spend less time fiddling with buugta cayrta and more time overseeing buugta carruurtooda. I have never seen a less ambitious community of Somalis. Unless things have changed in the last couple of years, Maryooley in the UK don't work, don't own businesses, and don't make any effort to improve their children's access to education and resources. Even in my own family, the ones who live in Europe--and particularly Britain--are underachievers on an epic scale.