Sign in to follow this  
N.O.R.F

Somali Jokes iyo Maah Maah Thread

Jacpher   

^Pu, that's not clear enough for the average Joe. You gotta put it in layman's lang.

Allamagan, I got a good one for you I can't afford kal iyo kab.

Jacpher   

^Zuhayla. I think this threat is about maahmaahyo.

Allamagan,

You put me on the spot, now you gotta put in Inglish. Guurso l** *********.

^ Forget about that, I need your help here. Click here scroll all the way down and explain to me what are these last 5 entries at the bottom mean? are these true somali proverb or what? Jimcaale you go first! smile.gif

Jacpher   

^

323. Pass.

324. Marriage keeps you skinny at first, then big belly comes out later.

325. Married girl must have a known house.

There you go.

Faheema.   

Originally posted by Jimcaale:

^Zuhayla. I think this threat is about maahmaahyo.

Jim, I am aware that this thread is about maahmaahyo, and so is what I wrote smile.gif

As for translating. Hadal 'ax' ma odhan = If words could feel pain.

Dadka hadalka ilahy ku manaystan baa loogu maah maahaa ;)

Originally posted by Jimcaale:

Married girl must have a known house.

Lord have mercy on us! waxa ba'ay kuwii aad interpreter u noqotid sxb!

Khalaf   

Originally posted by Jacaylbaro:

In general it means if the man can't do those three things he can't manage himself ... i mean he is weak. That is if he can't sew his clother when needed, he can't take decisions and can't make money by saving it he is weak.

You are right sxb about this one, but i thought it was about tasho (like decision making, advice..but ur rite). And max laga yiri dumarka mahmah.

Buuxo, before today I always thought Far kaliya fool ma dhaqdo, meant dishes not face, I heard that mahmah when i was in Junior High, we were talking about somthing, my moms said that mahmah and i said what?, to explain it to me since she was washing the dishes, she said can one finger wash these dishes marka i said no...since then i thought that was the literal translation, tho i understood the meaning of the message. I learned somthing. smile.gif

Allamagan saved that page, but don't understand not even one.

Translate: Rag waa raggii hore hadalna waa intuu yidhi

Originally posted by buuxo:

Ok what on earth does this mean??/

Gabadh nin dhali karaa dhiqi kara

This is what aabiyaasheen isku sheegi jireen in the old days to marry an innocent, unsuspecting, maiden new wife, saying aloud to reerkeeda, "War gabar nin dhali karaa dhaqi karee ina siiya inanta." :D

Well, in a way, it means only 'a mature man can take care his girl [lady].' Not an inexperienced boy-man. That is the reference with being 'old enough to be her father.'

NB - I think you got the confusion and misunderstanding from the misspelling of dhaqi to 'dhiqi.' Dhiqi sounds like a complete new word.

Buuxo   

Lol i was worried in what dhiqi could mean. lol those odayaals never run out of any reasoning to marry young girls. Thanks for the heads up, if i hear that being said in my presence , cagaha baan wax kadaya :D