Sign in to follow this  
LuCkY

CaFFeine 101

LuCkY   

What is Caffeine?

Caffeine is a stimuLant found in many foods and beverages. It is aLso found in prescription and over the counter medications. Caffeine is a naturaLLy occurring substance found in the leaves, seeds, and fruits of more than 60 pLants.

How much Caffeine is in common foods and drinks?

A few exampLes of caffeinated items incLude: 8oz. cup of coffee(65-120mg of caffeine), brewed tea (20-90mg0, 12oz.Coke(45mg), 1 cup of Haagen-Dazs coffee ice cream (58mg, Hershey chocoLate bar (10mg), 8oz. hot chocoLate (5mg), and 2 tabLets of Excedrin (130mg). Some herbaLs such as guarana aLso contains caffeine.

What exactLy does Caffeine do to my body?

Caffeine's main effect is increased aLertness. Within one hour of coffee consumption, caffeine usuaLLy reaches its peak LeveL in the bLoodstream and remains there for four to six hours. Caffeine aLso stimuLates secretion of acid in the stomach, sometimes resuLting in an upset stomach. Caffeine is aLso a diuretic, which means it heLps eLiminate fLuids from the body and can resuLt in water and caLcium Loss.

If i beome pregnant, is it safe for me to continue drinking coffee and soda?

Most experts agree that moderation and common sense are the keys to consuming caffeinated items during pregnancy. "Moderate" caffeine consumption is approximateLy 300mg/day, which is simiLar to 3 cups of coffee.

Researchers have had difficuLty determining whether there is a reLationship between caffeine and miscarriage since miscarriage is very common. Recent reports suggest that Low to moderate consumption of caffeine does not increase the risk for miscarriage.

A few studies have shown that there may be an increased risk for miscarriages with high caffeine consumption(>300mg/day), particuLarLy in combination with smoking or aLcohoL, or with very high LeveLs of caffeine consumption(>800mg/day).

It is aLso important for a woman to drink sufficient quantities of water, miLk and juice if she becomes pregnant. These fLuids shouLd not be repLaced with caffeinated beverages.

OG Moti   

Lucky i like ur posts but please dont discourage people not to use caffeeine i love that $hit i cant operate without them... please say something positive about it...u know for friendship sake.. peace

LuCkY   

OG_Moti i didnt mean to sound so negative, I was just giving you guys the 101 on caffeine. I actuaLLy enjoy my kick of caffeine sometimes. And sometimes its aLL i resort to when im stressed out.

Lefty   

Thanks for the information!

I consider half of my daily diet full of Coffeiene and I have no problem of consuming more and more cause I don't feel like quiting very soon.. however the biggest Somalis have is Sugar. The way they consume daily is out of normality and they should worry about it more.

Ladiif   

Luck and lefty, I agree with both of you . Somalis need some major help on these things. Few months ago i saw an article issued by Mayo Hospital on these issues among the somalis. I will see if I can find Insha Allah.

Btw, there is a somali doctor at this Hospital(Mayo, MN, U.S). I heard the guy so good that they went all the way to hargeisa where he was living and asked him to joined their hospital. He must be good, am just proud of him but I wish we could keep him there so he can give back to our ppl back at home.

*SNIFF* Give up caffeine? Never! You can't stop me! It's all mines!

Seriously though...I couldn't agree with ya'll. Sugar is a huge problem with us. That's why most our relatives/family/friends have Diabete's. Hopefully if we spread the word, our fellow Somali's would listen and slow down on sugar.

.:peace n luv:.

raula   

couuldn't agree more..with the above posters..I think the somalis have the worst nutritional guidelines/pyramid that any other africans. They majorly over-consume carbs and less of the Vegetable group. Nevertheless, instead of using sparingly on oils, they ofcourse use oil predominately in all meal cookings. Mind you, sad to say that most of the oils are of Trans-fatty acid and saturated origins that majorly contributes to athelosclerosis and heart disease.

Point of clarification: Diabetes is not caused by uptake of sugar but is due to complications with you insulin level in one's body. Type 1 ( can be fatal, is genetic): due to lack of insulin hormones in the body-therefore have to be constistent with insulin shots

Type2: Body resistant to insulin or low insulin levels that will not be able to correspond to body's flacuating glucose level. Type 2 can be overcome by exercise, and low glycemix index foods.

apologies for the long post..but just little insight. Personally, I drink herbal tea or Chai. Some teas have antioxidants and flavanoids that can help with preventing oxidation of cholesterol(HDL-good-cholesterol) by higher homocysteine levels in the body . This is not to say that iam caffeine free but atleast Iam in moderation. :D;)

Haneefah   

I just bought a large double double from Tim's...talk about being healthy eh :rolleyes: Oh well...I have a biotech exam tomorrow, and what is an allnighter without some caffeine anyways.

LuCkY   

THANK YOU ALL FOR POSTING!

Nafisa taLk about doubLe doubLe at Tim's...I was drinking a Large carameL frappucino.Thats what i sometimes do but its not good for you because it onLy Lasts for a coupLe of hours.

RauLa i agree with you. Yes but at Least if we encouraged dieting-meaning Low consumption of certain foods and excerising reguLarLy-than the heaLth probLems we see wouLd decrease.Youre correct about the diabets some of us-aLot of peopLe i have seen(somaLi)think that it is caused by Large intakes of sugar, when in fact it is due to the insuLin LeveLs *type 1 & 2*. I remember the HDL Lectures in 10th bio.

well i see some caffeine addicts here...me over here, i cant stay a day witout caffeiene..and when am having a really bad day..i do those starbucks dobbio espresso shots, then that makes ma day....but i dont do the suger thing..i have noticed that somalis tend to add a lot of suger in their coffee...its like saying "would u like coffe with ur sugar" instead of "would like sugar wid ya coffee" na'mean.

OG Moti   

Waaaw all of u are adict and yet asking to re educate our somalis.. smile.gif anyway guys come on suger is not a problem in somali communities, that is the only food they eat regularly, and now u want them to stop? what are u doing ? u want to kill them? beside Diabetes hit those who eat good food plus suger, somalis have a dry bodies, and suger is what is keeping them alive, leave them enjoy it, dont lead to the Evaporation of somalis.. cause seriously without suger they will evaporate ... peace

P.S coffee is the gift of God to this world, oh boy dont i love that thing.....

LuCkY   

ORIGINALLY POSTED BY OG_MOTI:

somalis have a dry bodies, and suger is what is keeping them alive, leave them enjoy it, dont lead to the Evaporation of somalis.. cause seriously without suger they will evaporate ... peace

Dry bodies...what are you taLking about? I thought everyones bodies consisted of 75% water.Evaporation of somaLis...now thats some funny stuff you got there.Sugar doesnt do wonders for a dry body-at Least i hope not.

*Im not addicted to caffeinated beverages*

Xafsa   

Give up caffeine?....those words aint even in my vocab!! Its in my families best interest for me to get my daily dose of caffeine.

But I do agree with you that it is a big health factor. Somalis do have a very unhealthy diet....as raula said it consists mostly of carbs, sugar and protein. They did a research study here in MNPLS on somalis...they said somalis gain an average of 7lb every year because of all the carbs and fat they consume.

LuCkY   

FLying-stiLL how about we open up an excerising pLace-just somaLi peopLe?

We can jump start the day with caffeine and work off those carbs so that on average we onLy gain 1-3Lbs or none each year?