Sign in to follow this  
Baluug

Think it's Cold Where You Are?

Baluug   

With winter coming, I know a lot of people are complaining about how cold it is(myself included :D ) I thought I should share with you some info I found on Wikipedia about the coldest temperatures ever recorded in places around the world. So if you think it's cold now, always remember it could be worse.

Here's a list that goes by the coldest temperature in that area, then the actual temperature, and where it was:

On earth −89.2 °C (−128.6 °F) Vostok Station, Antarctica

Asia −68 °C (−90 °F) Verkhoyansk and

Oymyakon, both Russia

North America −66 °C (−87 °F) Northice, Greenland

Canada −63 °C (−81 °F) Snag, Yukon Territory, Canada

United States −62 °C (−80 °F) Prospect Creek, Alaska

Contiguous United States −56.5 °C (−70 °F) Rogers Pass, Montana

Europe −58.1°C (−72.6°F) Ust 'Shchugor, Russia

For Nuune: Ireland −19.1 °C (−2.4 °F) Markree Castle, County Sligo

For the UKers:United Kingdom −27.2 °C (−17.0 °F) Braemar, Grampian

Altnaharra

For JB :DAfrica −24 °C (−11 °F) Ifrane, Morocco

Check out the rest here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_weather_recor ds

Ibtisam   

About -10, I think it was 1991, I remember I was freezing and the water on the roads turned to rock hard ice. I was slipping all over the place.

The coldest weather ?? ,,, -5 it was. Yes, in France last year.

Here, i don't even bother to measure the climate. I just know it is cold and it is hot.

Baluug   

What surprises me is the fact that so many Somalis have gone to these freezing cold places like Norway, Sweden, Canada, Minnesota etc. But I guess they don't have much of a choice originally, still amuses me though, it reminds me of the scene in the movie Flight 13 where the new qaxooti is being chased through the snow by a dog :D

-40? Urm, just how many layers and thermals does one need to wear to stop from turning into a block of ice in that sort of temperature?

I'm always cold me, anything below 21°C has me reaching for double layers and a hot water bottle.

underdog   

My first winter in Canada, I'm watching the weather forecast and they say

"We're expecting a high of -12C with a windchill of -20C"

So I sitting there wondering is it -12 or -20? Then I'm told "its -12 or -20 depending on where you're standing".

wtf?

If you're in the wind its 8 degrees colder.

Miriam1   

LOOOL Underdog...never never pay attention to those false claims of "A high of -12" its all baout the windchill

Last winter was just brutal..every saturday and sunday morning involved one hour of shovelling that white stuff.

Baluug   

^Looks like we're the ones who are in for a brutal winter this year, it's -30 degrees today and I have to say I'm impressed, it usually doesn't get this cold until early February in Calgary, and it's gonna stay cold all week according to the weather channel.

Kool_Kat   

I think the coldest I've expereinced was -30...I remember though, back in Jan. of 1999, it snowed so much in Toronto that city officials asked the military for assistance in clearing the roads...