Sign in to follow this  
N.O.R.F

East Africa travellers

Paragon   

QL, alxamdulillaah. I have my feet grounded in Nairobi now and boy am I glad to be out of London. Wax kale iskadaaye, waxaan ku quraacdaa beer geel :D . Talking of geel, sxb hurry up before I go for my geel-jire boot camp in Isiolo soon to slurp some fresh caano geel oo xurbinaya smile.gif . But before that I have to make sure you guys are in NBI.

PS: QL, I couldnt stop taking pictures sxb. I simply cant. I love the wilderness and the skies and every second I spot a beauty that I must capture. So, I cant be blamed if I forget about humans smile.gif .

Rahima, Mombasa is a good place to live. I loved it really. And Malindi (dominated by Italians I was told) is another good spot to visit. All I can tell you is that the Down Under has nothing on Kenya :D . You should come to Kenya, Rahima. As I am aware now, many (some from SOL) are heading towards Kenya to enjoy the African sun. This country is a beaut (as the Aussies say) smile.gif .

As for not being able to visit Somalia, I know it is painful but simply visiting Mombasa beach would make one feel better. Surprisingly, most of the kids (and men) playing football on the sands of the beach are Somali. Didn't know Mombasa had such a large Somali population but it has and it is reassuring. Moreover, Mombasa is a city of Mosques, beautifully built mosques. The buildings and the culture resembles Arabic architecture and culture. Afterall, the inhabitants of Mombasa have their origins in Arab traders mixing with the locals. And they are a peaceful people.

North, lol. Yup! Sun, Sea, Mangos and coconuts. That is Mombasa for you. Maasha-Allah it is blessed with good food and (especially) fruits. If you get the opportunity by all means visit Kenya. Lol, I sound like I am an employee of Kenya's tourism ministry but hey, Kenya's beauty speaks for itself smile.gif .

GM   

Pragon, now you make me want to come to mombasa. Any more pics you can share?

Be carefull of munguki sxb, i hear they murder people indiscrimanetely.

N.O.R.F   

Originally posted by NGONGE:

^^ Who else is going?

Waxa tagaaya 'isku xidniinka'e' :D adigu iskeenuun and don’t give me the usual 'I’m afraid of snakes' story

Cool place to visit [meel raaxo iga dheh]. I may go there september, dunno yet! anyway, enjoy yourself sxb and keep sending in the pics.

Ms DD   

Paragon

Thank you so much for this trip down the memory lane. After Kismayo, The tiny doon dropped us in the middle of ocean..well actually we could see Malindi. The Italians swam to help us, and we were fed and clothed by the authority. I have never seen anywhere more beautiful than Malindi. Then we were tranfered to Showground and from there to Utange. I saw bits of Mombasa and its amazing food. I missed Mombasa and now I am thinking of changing my holiday destination to Mombasa since you have done so well in selling to us smile.gif

Where is the best place to stay?

Paragon   

^^Lol MsD&D. Oh yeah, my salesmanship has been praised before :D . To be honest though, meesha waa laysku sheegey and if you come, you may simply realise how many Somalis from dibbada are in the city purchasing land or starting new ventures- that is not to mention families coming to the city to holiday. It is a family friendly place unlike chaotic Nairobi. Malindi should even be better for you since you've had glimpses of it. Some say its heaven on earth. In all the coastal province, the environment is quite good (not to mention Mombasa is a clean city helped by its sandy soil compared to dirty Nairobi). Come to Mombasa, MsD&D :D .

PS: Where to stay? Hmmm. I haven't tried looking since I have family here already but there an old family friend who has an exclusive hotel and lodging. Be warned though, it might coast you quite some dollars to stay there. Around 30 dollars a night. The locals complain about it but I believe it is worth it. Alternatively, you can veer off Somalis and stay in tourist resort- comfort guaranteed. That is if you are willing to cough up some of those pounds starshed away :D .

Valenteenah, thanks sister. One cant help but enjoy him or herself smile.gif .

GM, lol. The Mungiki are rife in Nairobi. There are shootings everywhere. Although I come to NBI to visit family in Eastleigh, I plan to run away to Mombasa as soon as I am excused.

Allamagan, sxb you should come by all means. Meesha Kismaayona wey u dhowdahay nooh :D . Hal dooni ayunbaa kaa xigta smile.gif .

Gabbal   

Paragon-

Insecurity will always be risk factor in Somalia for some time to come, but you cannot come here and tell us visiting your birthplace and the source of your longing is not worth the risk? Certainly insecurity should not prevent any Somali from his country especially you. Imagine if we had all let the jitters ( icon_razz.gif ) from that overtake our nerves, who would have invested and kept the country alive in the last decade? smile.gif

Emperor   

Mombasa is a beautiful city to live in, though not a top holliday destination... Malindi or Arusha would make your holliday a delightful extravaganza...

The whole of Kenya is beautiful and I believe deserves much attention from the Somali diaspora, its booming econonmically, socially and settlement wise, the opportunity is there for the up coming entrapenours to make big profits, and the best of all is next to home, you can live like a proper Somali and get everything from fresh Camel milk, kackac to Bunka iyo Saloolka and act a bit wild jumping up and down the proper Old Sufi style - I witnessed this, it used to happened at my local a while back, Nairobi....

Enjoy your trip Paragon

Malika   

Waar Emperor, dee Arusha kenya kumaa taloo,its a TZ city.

Paragon,.., Mombasa sounds like my old city Dar es salaam!, I sure do miss the mishaki,mihogo ya kuchoma and madafu juice....those long evenings strolling around the city...

Enjoy your trip!!

Emperor   

^Yes I know my dear, Arusha is TZ but then again could be a share between the two countries, it is not from Nairobi, only few hours away driving and while there was no strict border line crossing to the other side, Of course Im talking about the old good days and I don't know now how things have changed...

I hear you say My old city Dar, ever lived there? I have lived for sometime there too, so Xaafadee, for me most of the time I stayed in Ilala...