Sign in to follow this  
NGONGE

Is Somali a rich language?

NGONGE   

I’m told that Somali is a rich language that can proudly rival any of the main languages of the world. Now I’m not the best speaker of Somali and cannot confirm nor deny this contention. I would therefore like the experts on here to help me out by providing me with words and their synonyms.

I’ll start from the bottom. Lets talk about toilets and the call of nature. What other words could I use to describe the act of defecation or urination in Somali?

I realise that my example might sound slightly distasteful but it’s something that’s been bugging me for the past 24 hours. I would like to be able to say something other than “ waan si kaa.........†when talking about going to the toilet. Some people will ask, “ Why don’t you just say I’m going to the toilet?†I suppose I could but that will deprive me from knowing how rich the Somali language is.

PS

Don’t restrict yourselves to the toilet example only. If possible, give as many synonyms to as many words as you can.

Let the mental diarrhoea commence :D

Salaan...

I have had always thought about the greetings in Soomaali, with its myriad variations.

• Iska waran
  • See Tahay
  • Soo lama fiicno {ma fiicnidoo}
  • Ii waran
  • Maxaa heysaa
  • Maxaa cusub
  • Warka isii
  • Warka cadey
  • Maxaa isku dhacaayo
  • Waranba
  • Soo nabad ma'aha {nabad ma tihidoo}
  • Xaaladda ka waran
  • Maxaa soo siyaaday
  • Maxaa kala wadaa
And this only applies for individually, so if it is widened generally, for example "reeraha see yihiin," it would be innumerable.

No wonder saying "hi" takes a couple minutes in Soomaali gatherings.

The only equivalent English terms would be the limited "how are you" and "how are you doing." If we try to translate the other words to roughly what's up, it wouldn't do justice to that original translated phrase, which might be maxaa isku dhacaayo. Both might have been taken as a slang, however the latter is generally accepted in mainstream Soomaali society while the former isn't in English.

Baashi   

Suuliga/Musqusha/Xamaamka yaan u baah nahay.

Xamaamka/Musqusha/Suuliga yaan doonayaa inaan isticmaalo.

I think (this my opinion) that Somali language is very rich but it lacks and even getting behind as time progresses in many fields, be it in the technology, journalism, etc. or in the field of Science in general.

I got one question and I'm posing the question in order to illustrate the deficiencies of Somali as a modern language.

How do u say blue in Somali? The sky is a blue so is our flag...I mean this is natural color and to think we don’t have a word for it is weird.

Qac Qaac   

couple of exampls

39 we say it 2 ways, one is sodon iyo sagaal, the other is sagaal iyo sodon.

xamaamka=misqusha=suuliga=kaniifka.

***** =dabaal=baac=dulli=

qurun=qurmuun=ur

Baashi   

Originally posted by Waryaa Dude:

WARYAA!!!!

Waan soo xaaji-guutanayaa.

Xaaji Guuto means taking a shit na'm sayin.

We have no word for brown but our skincolor is brown, what a crazy people!

Xaaji Guuto? :confused: or u meant to say xaajo gudasho...i get it.

How do u say brown in Somali? That's good question...anyone.

7 of 9

Blue = ciraawi (improvised word)

NGONGE   

I find that most words are done by descriptions. So, brown will probably be something as crazy as horood calushu taagan or casaan madowbaadi :rolleyes:

Sincere   

I think (this my opinion) that Somali language is very rich but it lacks and even getting behind as time progresses in many fields, be it in the technology, journalism, etc. or in the field of Science in general.

I think the above statement hit the nail on the head. The creation and addition of new words or phrases in the Somali language is non existent. English evolves daily and plagiarizes words and phrases from greek and latin languages.

Right off the bat i can think of 5 tech related english grammer that we dont have.

Hard drive, processor, dvd, ram ..etc

Somali language is stagnant

P.s here's my question are other languages evolving or are they stagnant like ours. Do italians,germans,french etc have their original terms for the above gadgets ?

NGONGE   

Discreet,

There is no such thing as an “original†term for new words. Like you said, language evolves and new words are added everyday. Words such as FATWA, Madrasa and Intifada are Arabic words that can be found in the Oxford English dictionary. They’re English words now. Words such Kursi (chair), Qalin (Pen) and TV are widely used in the Somali language and not thought of as being foreign (even though they’re Arabic words). They’re new words that don’t have an equivalent in the language and therefore they’re used as part of the language (with slight adjustments here and there – Think Xawayan as opposed to the Arabic Xayawan).

The Somali language is only stagnant and not evolving because it’s not much of a written language. The poets recite their poems but there has been no great effort to compile them into great volumes. The journalists write their articles but there is no huge archive to keep them all and fiction is in very short supply.

Sincere   

There is no such thing as an “original†term for new words.

It should have read translations...and indeed those words are also in the online webster dictionary....

Tuujiye   

Yaakaleeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

bal aan ku hadlo xoogaa afsomali ah. Ama aan idinku darsado xoogaa murti ah. Ngonge hadaad rabtid Murti iyo afkeena qiimahiisa in aad ogaatid waxee aheed in aad tagtid meesheydii aan furay oo aan ugu tala galay dadka ku hadla luqada runta ah. waana tan sida aan ku bilaway.

MURTI

(Saddexley)

Murti marka la leeyahay waxaa loo jedaaquluud duluc iyo ujeeddo leh iyo dhadhanka, macnaha, dhugta, iyo xigmada ay weero, tudco ama hadal leeyahay oo ka qaab iyo dhisme duwan afka iswareysiga, hasaawaha aan sugaanta la lahayn, iyo iska sheekeysiga caadiga ah; waana kasmo aqoon shishe ku dhisan, oo mid fac weyn iyo mid cusub labadaba leh.

Saddexley

1. Sadex baa waxey tiri:

“Marag illaahay waxaan ka nahay inaan macaannahayâ€.

2. Sadex baa ka daba tiri:

“Marag Illaahay waxaan ka nahay in aad macaan tihiinâ€.

3. Sadex kalaa ka daba tiri:

“Marag Illaahay waxaan ka nahay macaan iyo kharaar waxaad tihiin midna inaanan aqoonâ€

1a. Malab baa wuxuu yiri:

“Marag illaahay waxaan ka ahay in aan macaanahayâ€

1e. Carab baa ugu maekhaati furay oo yiri:

“Marqaati illaahay waxaan ka ahay malaboow in aad macaan tahayâ€

1i. Far baa waxey tiri:

“Marag ilaahey waxaan ka ahay malaboow macaan iyo kharaar waxaad tahay midna inaanan aqoon, carabkana anigaa kaaga hor maraâ€

2a. Qur’aan (diinta) baa wuxuu yiri:

“ Marag Illaahay waxaan ka ahay in aan macanahayâ€

2e. Caalim (shiikh) bartay baa ugu markhaati furay, ooye:

“Marag Illaahay waxaan ka ahay Qur’aanow in aad macaan tahayâ€.

2i. Jaahil (xaga diinta) aan wiligii fooda dhigin waxna ka aqoon baa yiri:

“Marag Illaahay waxaan ka ahay Qur’aanow macaan iyo kharaar waxaad tahay midna inaanan aqoon.

3a. Gabar baa waxay tiri:

“ Marag Illaahay waxaan ka ahay inaan macaanahayâ€.

3e. Nin geya oo geda-yaqaan oo ragannimadiisu dhan tahay baa yiri:

“Marag Illaahay waxaan ka ahay gabareey inaad macaan tahayâ€.

3i. Khaniis baa wuxuu kadaba yiri:

“Marag Illaahay waxaan ka ahay gabareey macaan iyo kharaar waxaad tahay midna in aan aqoonâ€.

PS. DA luqadada baro ee nac nacda jooji. Marka aad af somali qortid su'aal dadka weydii. Adoo aan afsomali qori karin ama aanba istic maalin baa wax ka sheegeysaa luqada :mad: .

wareer badanaa!!!

AYOUB   

Originally posted by Discreet1:

Right off the bat i can think of 5 tech related english grammer that we dont have.

Hard drive, processor, dvd, ram ..etc

Somali language is stagnant

P.s here's my question are other languages evolving or are they stagnant like ours. Do italians,germans,french etc have their original terms for the above gadgets ?

I don't think they have original terms but (unlike Somali) I think their alphabets include letters P, V and Z that makes it easier to 'copy' from english and each other.

Maybe we should start with up-dating the Somali alphabet and include the letters P, V and Z after all there are several countries that start with one of those letters. How can you copy DVD when the alphabet does not include V? I think i've heard a Somali word for TV but I don't know anyone who uses it apart from a maqaaxi quiz. :D How weird is it to have a Somali 'region' called Puntland when the alphabet does not include P?

Another thing, is it me or are some words not served best by the Somali alphabet as it is. This might not be easy but try to follow the examples below:

dadal (effort)

didey didiin (refuse/refusal)

I've seen some people pronounce dadal as it is (or maybe because of way its) written. Is it me or should the second da in dadal and the dii in didiin be written differently to indicate the 'proper' pronunciation.

I hope that made sense, if not don't worry about it :D