Sign in to follow this  
xiinfaniin

Weekly Standard:the vehicle that made Iraq war possible

Story of the rise of neoconservative media.

----------------------------------------------

One day a novel must be written that conveys the sense of purpose and energy that surged through the Standard’s offices—and that of the whole Washington neoconservative network—in the days after September 11, 2001. No more esoteric musings about Gilligan and the Skipper. The Project for a New American Century—a Bill Kristol-founded pressure group that specialized in gathering the signatures of the obscure and moderately famous in support of a more militarized foreign policy—would be ignored no longer. At long last, there would be an audience.. Read how these guys did it?

SeeKer   

Great read. Murdoch media empire is not done with America yet. I doubt this will be the end of it.

I am not known to take flights of fancy with conspiracy issues but I always knew at the helm of America was the "chosen few". What I didn't know was the number. I think Friedman should have mentioned them :D

Nevertheless we are stuck in this war and frankly I have no delusions that whoever is found guilty of instigating it will be prosecuted.

Muhammad   

^ the interesting part of the whole story is it was done according to the norms of modern politics(advertisement), not as a conspiracy. just don't expect them to air something like philip morris's tv commercials.

thanks for the link xiinfiniin.

Baashi   

This is a good one Xiin.

This does not surprise me a bit. It's how democracy works. Neocons are within their rights to advocate for their values and believes. Blame it on voter ignorance and the rise and power of interest groups.

J.Lee   

Capitalism at work?

Norman Podhoretz argued that neoconservatism had effectively put itself out of business by winning on its two major battle fronts: over communism and the residue of the 1960s counterculture

Damn Hippies!

Anybody who reads a newspaper now and then knows that Murdoch is one of the most powerful and influential men in America. After all, it was his news network which first announced that Bush won in the First Election before even the Florida ballots were "counted."

Some people have even gone far as to say the reason Bush won was because this man.

If you read many of the alternative news sources, such as LaRouche's P.A.C (who has before the Katrina fiasco predicted that the Bush Adminstration would be heading for a "new watergate") this isn'really that surprising or shocking .

Castro   

^ Indeed.

Atheer Baashi, you hit the nail on the head. Though the conservative movement is past the special interest status and is well into the mainstream, it did begin as such. The genius of this neocon movement, however, lies in its use of the media to perpetuate existing prejudices, volatile religious mantra and patriotism in order to achieve unparalleled heights. Fortunately, its core is rotten and based on greed, deception and a sense of superiority that lacks any ground. As we will see in the coming years, those who didn't know already, will find out just how virulent a movement it is. I can't wait for the ending of this story.

Tahliil   

Don't forget that misguided little female, wicked witch, with her preposterous claims and erroneous facts, with her hoarse, irritating, annoying voice…that vulgar, loud, the loudest mouthpiece, the most childish-like mouthpiece in the field, serving for the Cronies on her four, the she-donkey they rode all the way to Iraq, the noisy, the loud and loudest of all those who were beating the drums for war and doom, that female, what’s her freaking name, that loud-mouthed fe-male, on every screen and station, banging and hammering and concealing and fabricating and stretching the truth and reality for her masters: the only individual, that so-called journalist who single handedly tortured integrity and honest in journalism slowly, painfully to death in her trashy pile of lies...yeah, JUDI MILLER of NY TIMES…how I wished she remained in there locked forever, for good…

Castro   

^ I thought you were talking about Condi Rice for a moment there. What really amazes me is how such a movement like the neocon movement could successfully recruit the likes of Collin Powell and Condi Rice. It really must be their (neocon's) crowning achievement. To have someone who, presumably, grew up black in the south during segregation and the civil rights movement not only convinced of such nonsense but actively promoting it is beyond me walaahi. It's one thing to delude Joe Sixpack in Kansas that Iraq attacked the twin towers and, therefore, should be bombed into smitherenes but Collin Powel? Condi Rice? Walee some people may have all the achievements and accomplishments in the world but they lack the two things that matter most, integrity and compassion.

Dave Chappelle said it best when, during the race draft, he demanded white people draft Condi Rice if they wanted to get Powell. As far as blacks, and all decent humans, are concerned, they can both burn in hell along with dubya, Rove, Rumsfeld, Wolfowitch and the rest of them cronies. Amiin.

Muhammad   

^ Amiin 2 that!

Tahliil, don't you think she reaped what she sow? I couldn't help but enjoy her catfight with the times on a hot cup of Shaah. that was far more humilating than if she had stayed in jail 'as a martyr of journalism'. how things change so quickly!

I'm waiting for Friedman's turn! Insha'Allah! :D

Castro   

^ Muhammad, all things considered, Friedman is the lesser of many evils. Though he is conservative and was for the invasion of Iraq, I think he is still better than the likes of William Safire. The latter is a genius of words and a snake of ideas. I sent him enough venomous emails these past 3 years to make me feel good. I don't even read the NY Times anymore. What rubbish!

I am not a fan for conspiracy theories. This article does not theorize about hidden conspiracy at all. It narrates a success story of a few committed men who put their money where their mouth was/is. Though one could disagree the extent of their influence and whose ears they got, their penetration and the vigor of their sway is not point of moot.

'Neoconservatives and their blueprint for US power’ has been fascinating story for me. How these Jewish intellectuals understood and used the venues of American power is quite intriguing, to say the least. Learn who they are and What they aim

These guys know what they doing, don’t ye think?

SeeKer   

In their view, the world can only achieve peace through strong US leadership backed with credible force, not weak treaties to be disrespected by tyrants. :D

The pyramid of power with US at the apex!Walee you can fool all the people some of the time but you can't fool all the people most of the time.All superpowers have their spot in the limelight but at the end they get sent into the abyss they belong, lets just hope for us who live here that we won't have to wait much longer. :(

Muhammad   

Xiin, why isn't murdoch in the list? :D

Originally posted by Castro:

^ Muhammad, all things considered, Friedman is the lesser of many evils. Though he is conservative and was for the invasion of Iraq, I think he is still better than the likes of William Safire. The latter is a genius of words and a snake of ideas. I sent him enough venomous emails these past 3 years to make me feel good. I don't even read the NY Times anymore. What rubbish!

isn't that 'snake' retired? yet?

true, i hate to admit, but Friedman is somewhat 'likeable'

Castro   

^ He may be. I haven't read the Times since Nov. 4, 2004. Yep. The day Bush won re-election. And I don't plan to read it again. Specially now when the op-ed section is pay per view.

P.S. Though I've been reading Common Dreams for a while now, it and Democracy Now (sometimes the english Al Jazeera) have become my hang out area.