Sign in to follow this  
Cabdow

Walk for Somalia (Toronto)

Cabdow   

Walk for Somalia is a movement designed to raise awareness of the humanitarian crisis in Somalia in an attempt to mobilize international assistance to those who are suffering there. In addition, Walk for Somalia is aimed at raising immediate funds to help deliver some life-saving services and essentials to those displaced outside Mogadishu and surrounding areas!

- 3.2 million people in need of emergency aid

- 1.4 million internally displaced in Somalia

- Over 10,000 people killed in Mogadishu alone since 2007

- Around 200,000 people have become displaced in just the last two months

- Afgoye, 30 km from Mogadishu, is now home to over 600,000 refugees fleeing the violence –now known as the largest refugee camp in the world for internally displaced people

- 40% of population dependent on foreign aid for essential needs

- Over 70% of population are without access to safe drinking water

- Most people have no access to clean water , the water’s are severely contaminated and children are dying from severe malnutrition and severe diarrhoea

- There are fears of a massive Cholera outbreak

walk4somalia.jpg

Date: Saturday, October 10, 2009

Time: 1:00pm - 6:00pm

Location: Meeting Point: Yonge&Dundas - End Point: Queens Park

City/Town: Toronto, ON

Walk for Somalia.org

Kool_Kat   

One of its kind I've ever seen...Mansha'allah, ilaah success haka dhigo, and hope to see more events like this oo dhalinyarada Soomaalida wax garadka ah hogaaminaayaan, insha'allah.

BTW, are you one of the organizers? :D TVgaan uga jeeday dhalinyaro ka faalooneysa this event...

Rabi ha idmo, I will attend.

I have been hearing about this for quite sometime now. I even passed around that flyer around with those I know.

As always, gabdhaheena, our sisters in the West, isku xilqaamo inay u gargaaraan dadkeena rafaadsan. It is them who most u gargaaro walaalaheena ku rafaadsan dalkeena. Maalin walba wararka ka arkeysaa heblaayo iyo heblaayo joogaan magaaladaas oo iska soo qaaraamay u direen lacag dad rafaadsan. Hardly would one see 'hebel iyo hebel' lacag soo aruuriye u dirayna dadkeena. I guess 'hebel' only knows how to destroy, wax ee taraan aaba iska yar. Soomaali men failed miserably, and the country went down with their grand failure.

And no wonder and surprise that this event is organized by young sisters. They were on the front page of a local Soomaali newspaper on last month.

Cabdow   

Just spreading the word @ KK!

True that MMA, the sisters always come thro Masha'Allah.

LST as KK said, jeebka gacanta gali ninyow smile.gif

May it be success IA'

Kool_Kat   

Libaax iga raali ohoow hadaad jajabkaaga midigta mar hore kasoo tuurtay...

I was talking to my mom today about this and to my surprise she told me that she's taking part of the walk, haduu rabi idmo...Islaanta wili waa joobano, I guess... :D

Waaw. It was really, really great and wonderful to see all those brothers and sisters gathering at one place, united. I am really glad and proud to have been part of it.

I took my camera, but the darn thing after a few pictures qaaday -- its battery died. Ciil badanaa.

However, luckily, others were there and took tons of pictures, some already have posted some pictures online.

walk_fo_somalia%20049.jpg

This was taken at the start. The crowd grew heavily after.

walk_fo_somalia%20064.jpg

walk_fo_somalia%20011.jpg

walk_fo_somalia%20012.jpg

walk_fo_somalia%20129.jpg

walk_fo_somalia%20066.jpg

There I am with my koofiyad and proudly holding calankeena quruxda badan. :D

Kool_Kat   

Mansha'allah Soomaalida markaan aad bey udadaaleen, ilaahayna hanoo sii siyaadiyo...Great turnout indeed!

Seeing such an event, it gives one some hope for the future of Somalia! Specially knowing young minds are behind it all...Mansha'allah once again...

Lol. My whole family was there and I can see one of my siblings in the photo. Oh boy!!! I am still waiting for the youtube video I was promised. I heard from them that there was a great turn out, Alhamdullilah!!