Sign in to follow this  
Jabhad

Somali girl wins Koran recitation

Jabhad   

girl has won a Koran recitation award in Somalia for the first time. _40980690_amina203.jpg

Amina Abdul-Majid, who is 16 years old and blind, was one of 60 children who took part in the competition in the capital, Mogadishu, and won $500.

Religion Minister Omar Mohammed said she had broken the mould by winning an award which had been exclusive to boys for decades.

Amina lost her sight when she was hit by a bullet in factional fighting during Somalia's 14-year civil war.

A transitional parliament and government, sworn in last year, has failed to end the anarchy.

The competition takes place across the country during Ramadan and children have to know the entire Muslim holy book by heart as they are asked to recite different passages on demand.

Religious scholars judge the style, intonation, accuracy and grammar of the recitations.

The winner is announced on the last day of Ramadan, before the festivities of Eid al-Fitr, and is feted as a celebrity in Somali society.

Amina says she will continue her education as she would like to become a prominent Islamic scholar.

Jabhad   

yes it is fantastic, though i wonder what a "Religion Minister" does?

Caano geel the minister of religion is responsible for promoting Islamic way of life in the country and confronting un Islamic activities.

Originally posted by haruun:

Caano geel the minister of religion is responsible for promoting Islamic way of life in the country and confronting un Islamic activities.

Promotion of Virtue and Prevention of Vice?

uchi   

Great news, i wonder what she will do with the $500.

For a minute there, with this heat, i thought, I was reading 'Somali girl wins Korean recitation'.

OLOL   

Maashallah!! This is really great and I am crying with joy! I was so blessed in Ramadan to pray the Taraaweeh led by young boy 17 years old just fresh newcomer from Mogadishu with beautiful Tajweed and voice. It brings tears to my eyes when I hear a Somali with such magnificent recitation - ala -Sheikh Abdul-basit Abdu-Samed...

Congrats to Amina!!! I guess every one should pay tribute to her and at least post a pic of her...so she will always remain imprinted in our psyche

----------

Somali girl wins Koran recitation

_40980690_amina203.jpg

Amina lost her sight in factional fighting in the capital

A girl has won a Koran recitation award in Somalia for the first time.

Amina Abdul-Majid, who is 16 years old and blind, was one of 60 children who took part in the competition in the capital, Mogadishu, and won $500.

Religion Minister Omar Mohammed said she had broken the mould by winning an award which had been exclusive to boys for decades.

Amina lost her sight when she was hit by a bullet in factional fighting during Somalia's 14-year civil war.

A transitional parliament and government, sworn in last year, has failed to end the anarchy.

The competition takes place across the country during Ramadan and children have to know the entire Muslim holy book by heart as they are asked to recite different passages on demand.

Religious scholars judge the style, intonation, accuracy and grammar of the recitations.

The winner is announced on the last day of Ramadan, before the festivities of Eid al-Fitr, and is feted as a celebrity in Somali society.

Amina says she will continue her education as she would like to become a prominent Islamic scholar.

whats with the glases? is she blinde??

She is in the public limelight, she has to protect her eyes from all those camera flashing. All jokes a side, I m inspired, I should have continued to memorize the Koran.

Originally posted by tHe oNe aNd OnLy:

whats with the glases? is she blinde??

If I was the moderator or owner of the site, I would evict this unprincipled nomad who is mockingly remarking on the glasses of Gabadha Indhaha la'. Such people make you sick, walaahi! Fiiri wuxuu ku hadlay hada, computer-ka ma uga soo dhex baxdaa aa i qabato! :mad:

FatB   

^^^^wooow someone got out of bed on the rong side this morning. :eek: chill dood, there was no offence ment. :cool: it was a simple just question