Sign in to follow this  
Jacpher

Nuruddin Farah on PBS

Jacpher   

Nuruddin Farah speaks with Jeffrey Brown about Somalia and the rise of Islam. I think Odaga chose his words carefully when he said we did not have, in our tradition there was no veil. "No veil until the 1980s." Is he right? When did Niqaab come to Somalia?

Jeffrey says Somalia in its historical days were the center for learning and culture especially Muqdisho for the horn of Africa. Odayga is trying to keep and preserve Somalia’s culture and tradition by writing about it in foreign language, perhaps for foreign audience.

Video Clip

Taliban   

Originally posted by Jimcaale:

"No veil until the 1980s." Is he right? When did Niqaab come to Somalia?

The veil wasn't uncommon among some coastal Somalis. If we are talking about widespread veil adoption, Nuruddin's assertion is applicable to the period from the colonial times until the 1980s, or the secular era. We have to bear in mind, coastal cities and towns along the Indian ocean and Red Sea were strong Islamic centers few to several centuries ago. During that time, Somalia was part of the Islamic caliphate.

^ that is true.

Before colonial times somalis lead the way with modesty.

In fact to insure their modesty was protected from the eyes of the geel-gire, naagaha somaalida godh bay qodan jireen, kamana soo bixi jirin!

Pujah   

Originally posted by Caano Geel:

^ that is true.

Before colonial times somalis lead the way with modesty.

In fact to insure their modesty was protected from the eyes of the geel-gire,
naagaha somaalida godh bay qodan jireen, kamana soo bixi jirin!

What do you mean by ‘god bay qodan jireen kamana soo bixi jirin’ are you saying Somalis used to practice jaahiliya culture where women were buried alive? :confused:

you dont even know about it!!!!

its sort of like the underground, but being somali it's just a little hole in the ground and generally located at the back of the hut.. Think of it as the ultimate insurance scheme for your modesty abaayo.

Pujah   

^So you’re saying women folk sort of hid there while the men do what exactly ? and yeah I have never heard such claims.

:D:D @caano geel!

Camel boy, boqor, dhacle, iyo sadex-qayd was the standard dress for Somali womenfolk when the likes of Nuradin were growing up! In fact, it was the dictates of the nomadic tradition then to have young and unmarried girls sport with their uncovered hair!

Nuradin is not far from the truth when he asserts the veil and the other strict Islamic dress codes are quite new to Somalis in general. Where he perhaps went wrong is his implicit contention about the origins of the hijaab or the veil for that matter. Hijab is not an Arab culture per se and neither is the veil. The fact that Somalis wear veil does indicate that they have favored alien culture over theirs. If any thing it indicates that Islamic knowledge has been distributed more widely than it ever has been, and Muslims make informed choices today then before.

His is an acceptable ignorance I say! All the old man needs is an adequate Islamic education. I have seen many honest people like him who put a fierce defense for the old Somali ways of dressing but when exposed to the intricacies of Islamic fiqh and its legal ramifications become a decidedly sworn hijab supporter.

Jacpher   

Che, that thread is dead. I started this page hoping we discuss ideas and the claims this man is making instead of calling names, insults and doubting his deen.

Talib, Niqaab was widely adopted right after the fall of Barre regime but does that mean it has not been practiced in some areas of the country. I don't have the history background so where are the SOL historians.

puuja,

hade its a conspiracy by the secularist to keep you from knowing your history.

talib,

wallaal, it was way before your time

xiin,

stop confusing people with these unknown intricacies. As a somali man, you should be giving one very simple instruction, 'go back to your roots and start digging'

jimcalee,

clearly your just not appreciating the delicate intricacies and ramifications of the discussion

Taliban   

Originally posted by Jimcaale:

Niqaab was widely adopted right after the fall of Barre regime but does that mean it has not been practiced in some areas of the country. I don't have the history background so where are the SOL historians.

Well, I can only state my observations; there was a form of Niqaab, in black color, wore by some coastal women (Xamar, Marka, Baraawe, Kismaayo, iwm). Some of those women used to cover their faces, many didn't. This is to say the practice wasn't common, something you would notice in most places, but it was practiced by some women in some places.

The other thing, most Somali conservative sisters do not cover their faces a la Niqaab, but dress like these sisters:

12255.jpg

Taliban, that practice was not common!

Caano, the reason Islamic dachaw produced wonders during eighties and nineties, and its magic continues as we speak, is precisely because people were exposed to those unknown intricacies and were able to understand and appreciate what few men of religion could in Nuradin’s prime days.

Those brothers in SA could easily relieve Nuradin’s sentiment if they school him about this Islamic stuff, which he seems to be confused about. That will definitely prevent him from swimming in ironies as he is doing no, unknowingly :D of course!

Fabregas   

"The rise of Islam started when Somalis became jobless afte Siad Bare......."

These words can easily be twisted by his enemies, although i understand what he means........