Sign in to follow this  
Sister1000

Describe somali culture

Aaliyyah   

Goodir even if he's the typical husband Amina makes a wonderful typical somali wife, come on if u have doubts see her wesbite icon_razz.gif

Amina no sis, I dnt have fb...

Originally posted by Goodir:

^Amina since you are married to one, you tell us of the typical Somali husband.

Well I remember when we first got married I used to do all the cleaning and cooking until I went to college. I made a deal with him that if he wanted me to go to school, he would have to help me out around the house.

^That's not fair Cara...I wanted you to go to school, in fact I dragged (the dragging part is typical I admit but nonetheless)you...No go and fetch me shaax icon_razz.gif

Kool_Kat   

Originally posted by Sister1000:

I know the answer is very broad. But if you had to describe somali culture, what would you say. Im not somali but Im just curious about what somali culture is like. So if you had to describe somali culture, what would your reply be?

Why are you interested, if you don't mind me asking?

We are very polite, addressing one another as nothing other than 'brother' and 'sister'; very respectful of our elders, calling them 'aunt' (Eedo or habaryar), uncle (adeer or abti), grandma (ayeeyo), grandpa (aweewe) - they don't have to be related to earn the title...We eat with our hands, and eat banana with almost every main course of all of our meals...Haduu ilaah kuu roonyahay, we are loud...Very loud...Alow yaadan beerka udhiman, we are all cousins if we are from the qabiil (tribe)...Maxaa kale, oh yea, tribalism has ruined our country...

We eat Camel meat and milk, that's way we are all such geniuses... :D

Men wear macawis (like a kilt, but longer and wider/bigger)...Noth ing sexy about the damn thing, that's just me...Women wear dirac (a long, very see-through material, worn like a dress) and under it they wear goorgarad and rajabeeto...lol There is also guntiino for the women (fabric/material tight around the shoulder and wrapped around the waist)...

Ee bas hee intaan kabadan!

What attracted me first was how hospitable and kind they were.

Amina/Tammy, was it the people that attracted you first, or just one person in particular and then grew from there? :D BTW, I am still very impressed with your cooking (Somali dishes)...Do you speak Somali?

Ciao :cool:

EDIT:

To the poster, you might find this topic helpful...

IBTISAM

Opposites in your culture? That's a bit STRANGE

Yes it would be very interesting if you could tell me about the typical wife!

KOOL-KAT

Before, the age of 16, I had never ever seen a somali before. Im about 17 now and I've seen so many somalis since I've moved to london. And I dont really know anything about somalis culture. Im just curious about the culture of somalis. It seems interesting!

Sister

so you're a foreigner of some sort I take it?

There is really no such thing as somali culture, we have a mixture of others people's cultures, somali's in a way are dark arabs, they are people who are clan oriented, very conservative in their interpretation of islam, although their behavior would suggest otherwise.

They are people who are petty, they enjoy seeing each other fail, and are generally power hungary to detriment of their own. They are very competitive against each other as well, if you see one somali open a store, thousands will open a store beside him just to compete with him.

For a somali, their number one competitor is themselves, they judge each other based on what other somali's do. They are not individually minded people, meet one somali and you've met them all. They are a bunch khat chewing warring wildebeest who have destroyed their country.

The men are busy chewing khat and talking politics and the women all seem to baloon after giving birth to one child and gossip and attend weddings.

That's somali's in a nutshell. icon_razz.gif

Aaliyyah   

sister your only 17 and you'r thinking abt marriage? theres nothing wrong with it, but I would say you are in a stage where you should be focusing on your education and letting yourself grow and learn more about life in general.

just my advice..you'r too young to be thinking about settling.

salaam