Sign in to follow this  
Kool_Kat

C'mon!!!

Kool_Kat   

I didn't know what else to put as a tittle...

This topic is about those Somalis who've been in any Country for faaaaaaaar too long and can't speak the language...GOSH!!!

Ok let me be more specific, it really beats me how a young Somali person (in mid to late the 20s or early 30s), who has been in Canada for at least 10-15yrs, and still can't speak the language...And believe you me, I've seen faaaaar too many of them...GRRRRRRRRRRR...I am in no means making fun of them, it is just (hmmm what's the word I am looking for, hmmmm) UNBELIEVABLE!!! WAH...

Well there is this person I know, when in restaurants, she always orders SALMON...When the waiter comes, she'll be like 'yes i will have ee theeee saliman'...WHAT!!! And usually the waiter will be like, pardon...She'll then point to the menu and say 'yaa this one'...

Another example, this other person (a friend of a friend) would always say 'sidiin when' meaning 'since when'...

Another example, 'take a shower aan qaadanaa'...WHAT!!!

It is not just one word here or another there, you should see when they speak to qof ajnabi ah...Sida iney ka baqaayaan camal, iyagoo hoos fiirinaayo ee codkey hoos u dhigaayaan...The other day someone said to me 'Abaay soo bax nooh iraac (she was going to a government office), adaa af ingiriiska dadka ku gubi kare'...PUHLEASE...Anbo naftirkey labadaan ESL to ESL to ESL aan ka soo bartaa meelaha la gagabooyaayee, wah...

Walahi lakiin, it beats me how they be in Canada for soooooo long and not speak the language, at least the proper way... redface.gif :mad: redface.gif :mad:

KK, Ingiriiskaaga aaba kusoo koobmay

UNBELIEVABLE!!! WAH...

at the end of every sentence aad qorto, ee maxaa miskiiniinta oo ka hadleyso karabtaa???(how did the maahmaah go? "Daanyeer badadiisa mafiiriyo" :eek: :eek: :eek: )

Che, dalac bilaash aaba kusoo baxday lol@

waa adin yaabe

I think you meant to write, "waan idinka yaabe? " :mad: :mad: :mad:

Afkeena hooyo haku ciyaarin yaa che

N.O.R.F   

I think I could soon be one of them. My spoken word has suffered over the past couple of years working with people who speak differently (Indians/Arabs/Filipinos etc).

Zafir   

There are some who take someone to translate when shopping ,,,,,,,,, now what do u call that ?

^^Going shopping!

With friends like you KK...

That's because she cares, yaa hee.

KK, Purpose for menu, is to say 'yaa this one'.

ee nagaa daa af ingriiska aad nagu gubeysid. teeda kale, haduu af ingriis 'prober way" lee yahay Jamaicans baa ku hadli lahaa badhi hodhe.

Chimera   

My mother struggles with the English language but she speaks more languages than me, i read somewhere a story about a Linguist who spoke 77 languages and then proceeded to learn his 78th which resulted in the loss of the 77 other languages

I think some people have the ability to process and store more than others or maybe it's the environment cause my parents socialize with other Somali families more and less so with non Somali families( so Somali will always be the language used in discussions)

A Legend like Jackie Chan is still struggling with the english language after 20 years in Hollywood and he is multi-lingual

or maybe it is because Bruce Lee hit him too hard on the head

Jackie_Chan_Fist.JPGlolol

The Zack   

Experiment shows average time it takes an individual to speak a langauge fluently is 7 years of living in the country where that langauge is spoken But I think it takes less than that for an avarage somali to speak English fluently and therefore Somalians learn other langauges faster and better than most of other people.

Kool_Kat   

Hayeh malasoo wada kacay, ana hurdaanba isaga noqdee...lol

War heedhe haya, I am not saying they should speak fluent English, cuz god knows I am far from speaking fluent English...But at least, wax lalasoo shirtagi karo...After all, tobansano iyo ka badanaa wadanka la joogaayee, wah...

And NO I am not confusing a strong accent with the lack of English...No way, no how...IMAN has strong a$$ accent, I certainly don't think ineysan af Ingiriis aqoon...Wah...

I think I could soon be one of them. My spoken word has suffered over the past couple of years working with people who speak differently

Northerner, hadaba anay mardhow saas igu dhacoysaa...Saa schoolna ma'aado, shaqadii yareedo labada ingriis aan aqaanayna aan ku hadli jiray waan ka fariistee...

Some one who is saying 'FOODHAIR' meaning 'FOREHEAD'...C'mon now, after ten or so years in Canada, you'd at least have to know the difference, wah...

OK OK, what about when they say 'what you talking about it'...Intee 'IT' usocotaa...Hay...Or 'Pregni' meaning 'Pregnant'...Gosh, idhaafa yaaqoo ha i dambaajininee...

Kuwaas waxaaba ka siidaran, kuwa wadanka only 5 or 6yrs kaliya joogay oo iska dhigo iney af Somaliga iloobeen...Yaayah, ani mee sheekadaas ii keenaayaan...I HATE accentka ee isku yeelaan markey af Somali ku hadlaayaan...

LayZie, xaatiri? "Daanyeer badadiisa mafiiriyo" waah waah waxaasaa maah maah lagaa dhahaa...Labadaan bari intee ku dhuumatay, ani maah maahyadaan lagu soo baray intaa iga deysid...

Ismahaan   

Ladies and Gentlemen:

First of all I must say I feel that every one is entitled to their own point of view but I feel that forcing children to learn foreigner language is a total waste of time and effort. I feel that is extremely important for children to learn their own language first so in the future they can educate their own children and others in this world in the future. I am saying this because cultural identity has been described in sociology as being based on self-definition and giving a sense of belonging thus without your culture and language, to me you have no identity. I was studying foreigner languages since primary school still I can write and speak Somali allhamdulilah even though I don't get to use it much.

Also I do admire parents that encourage their children to interact in their native language. I am saying this because I saw so many Somali youth saying they can’t speak or write Somali shame shame . This is because some Somali parents refuse to teach their kids their own language, out of a desire to have the child integrate with other children :eek: . But then the kids may grow up feeling they have lost a part of their heritage, which s a pity and a waste, to me. I do agree however with some of your comments above, Somali people ma bartaan luqada wadanka aay joogaan intooda badan I don,t know the reason why laakiin waxaay ila tahay waa lazy nimo lols. The truth is, I think most people can pick up another language in a year. . However, I don't believe that there is any royal way of picking up foreign languages. It's an effort, an intentional and deliberate effort on the part of the learners, and motivation is most important of all ;)

Salaama Alaykum,

Well you do say that these people you've encountered are in their late 20s to early 30s right? And they've been in an English-speaking nation for around 10-15 years, correct? Well, if someone came from Somalia to Canada about 15 years ago, then that would make them 15 when they arrived (if they are currently 30). It's not so easy to adjust or learn a completely new language when they're already into their teens. Why do you have to make a thread making fun of them? Do you think that you're more ''Canadian'' than them because you can speak English fluently? I actually have a lot of respect for people who can speak their mother tongue fluently instead of some language that isn't their own. Stop being so condescending will you? At the end of the day, we're all from the some nation and no one's better than the other. If they ask you for help, do it.

Uf, this thread wreaks of self-righteousness. :rolleyes: