Sign in to follow this  
Professor.

Is it dangerous to use capitalist rules in your personal relationships?

I think its dangerous to use capitalist rules in your personal relationships. We're given messages from birth telling us we are our possessions, and people with better cars, better houses, higher-paying jobs, etc., are better people.

This is why I hate terms like "the marriage market" and "exchange theory" in relationships; economics has colonized the language of love like it has everything else. Yes, often we treat our potential partners as just another asset or demonstration of worth, like a car or the latest fashion. And this creates a nasty "trade in, trade up" mentality in relationships.

There is a book I saw somewhere but haven't read - "Consuming the Romantic Utopia" that I want to get my hands on, as it supposedly talks about some of these concepts.

Modesty   

The way I see it, you don't have to live a capitalist life. Of course, economics has to be taken into account in a partnership, but doesn't have to be the only determining factor.

Ibtisam   

^^^ it also makes people committee suicide, rape, rob and murder people, i guess that’s part of making the world going round. :rolleyes:

^ Whats sad and miserable about having lots of money? icon_razz.gif

In the words of Kanye West, 'I aint no gold digger, but I aint messing with no broke niggers :D '

In any case, love doesn’t buy a house or put food on the table or even keep you warm in the dead of the night (well, maybe a little… but you still need a cozy blanket).

So I stand by my statement...

Money only = Good

Money and Love = Better

Love only = :rolleyes:

Castro   

^ Mashallah atheer, I'm so proud of you. Don't let no broke Faarax trick you into a broke relationship and a broke marriage that leads to a broke life. If the nigga can't bring home the dough, he can stay single and love his broke self. :D

Love kulaha. Money talks and boolshidh waa inuu ka caraabiyaa meesha. :rolleyes: