Suldaanka

We created Jubaland to secure Kenya’s borders, DPP nominee tells MPs

Kenya’s plan to carve out a semi-autonomous region called Jubaland in Somalia had already been finalised as early as 2010.

The final process, which placed Kenya at loggerheads with the Somali government in Mogadishu, took place in January 2013 in Kismayu.

At least 522 delegates were brought in to rubberstamp decisions and formally install the President — former militia leader Sheikh Ahmed Madobe. This process is the highlight of the 19-year career of President Uhuru Kenyatta’s DPP nominee.

20183276365771452175232381730333_0.jpg

Noordin Haji, currently a deputy director of the National Intelligence Service, is the son of Garissa Senator Yusuf Haji, who was Kenya’s Defence minister until April 2013. From 2010 to 2013, Noordin co-chaired the Igad joint committee on stabilisation of Somalia — the Kenya-led process that created Jubaland. Noordin lists his major achievement on his CV as having “successfully established the Jubaland Federal State of Somalia”.

Read: Leaders praise Uhuru for naming Noordin as DPP

[Statement] Why Noordin Haji wants to be Kenya's DPP

He says this “ensured Kenya’s interest in securing its borders through the creation of buffer zones” across the neighbouring country.

Jubaland stretches along the entire Kenyan border, effectively creating a buffer zone with the rest of Somalia.

But the jury is still out whether this has prevented terrorists from crossing over into Kenya. In September 2013, Kenyans indirectly interacted with Noordin when his brother, Abdul Haji, rescued him and other hostages from terrorists at the Westgate Mall.

Abdul was the man famously photographed rescuing a little white girl in the deserted mall. 

Noordin was born on July 3, 1973, in Malindi, Kilifi county. His mother was a high school teacher and his father a powerful provincial commissioner from 1970 to 1997.

“Having been civil servants, my family constantly moved across the country. I began my formative years in school at DEB Nyahururu Primary School, subsequently moving from Standard One to Eight in different schools across the country, Nakuru, Mombasa, Nyeri, Eldoret and Garissa, to name but a few,” Noordin told MPs yesterday during his vetting.

“This exposed me to the rich diversity of our Kenyan cultures, allowing me to appreciate, at an early age, our interdependence as a society.”

He was admitted to Moi High School, Kabarak, and left in 1989. He proceeded to the Greensteads High School in Nakuru for his O-level education. He did his A-level studies at the Bronte College of Canada, and then acquired bachelor’s and master’s law degrees from the University of Wales, UK. He proceeded for a diploma at the Kenya School of Law in 1998. He briefly taught at Moi University. 

It is an unfortunate reality that has befallen on a country that is in the midst of never ending war. A combination of bad leadership and demoralized public have led us to where we are today. Apart from certain beneficiaries including unscrupulous politicians, I see no other Somali that is accepting of this. The fairer question is what are Somalis going to do about it.

galbeedi   

Some of us knew that Jubbaland was a Kenyan project.  They can claim as federal region as much as they want, but we knew it is not a Somali project. 

When the Kenyans leave, so does the warlord they installed as leader and his militia. He was a warlord, he was Al-shabaab, he was an Ethiopian spy and more, yet the tribal chuvanists of the "D" block accepted him and elerated him as a legitimate leader.

I do not care which tribe you are but the Ahmed Madoobe community should never be allowed to lead a fifth column of Kenyan government backed by their cousins in Kenya. A real Somali with any knowledge of the geopolitics of the region knows that the natural group who are patriots and could defend the interest of the nation against the Kenyans  should be the Gedo community. A leader from Gedo region should  be the leader of Jubbaland or we might lose the most fertile and rich countryside of Somalia.

Considering the Mare-xaan and  to lesser extent, the Juba Harti were never on board with this project, I don't see how entire groups can be blamed. But the issue of Somalis siding with foreigners to secure their interests and foreigner powers exploiting this division is not new. It existed during the time of Sayidka. SNM and SSDF launched their campaigns in Ethiopia.

The most devastating and insurmountable problem in Somalia is the intense competition and winner takes-all mentality between D-block and H-block. This will always undermine Somali sovereignty Of course, that's not an excuse for inaction.  The feeling of the Somali public is better reflected by the people of Beled Xaawo.

Dabrow   

Im Dblock and I resisted the creation of this state from the very start and I have made threads here about it aswell. Madoobe presence in the region stands on KDF tanks and nothing more. 

Dabrow   
43 minutes ago, Oodweyne said:

That is a news to me, actually. Care to show one or two posts? And in particularly in regards your "allegation" of you "vehemently opposing" the creation of this Kenyan's fiefdom inside Somalia.

And specifically, from 2010 till 2013, which was the period between the time in which the creation of Jubbaland was first thought about it by Kenyan's Somali stooges in Nairobi, and by the time it was "consummated", as a "concrete reality" in the ground in Kismayo. See if you can do that, mate.   

This was posted on May 19 2013...and you can see my responses in that thread.

Dabrow   
25 minutes ago, Oodweyne said:

Point well taken. And I retract my "disbelieve" of your assertion. It seems I have missed it, but you were one of the few folks around here in SOL (particularly from the D-Block's contingents) who were against this whole "Kenyan's political gig" call Jubbaland from the get go.

Hence, the reason that I have missed. Although I originally and actually counted on you to be from the "others" inhabitants folks of this region other than the "D-Block-folks", who were likely to "lose-out" from the political carve-out of the Jubbaland.

But, at any rate, your point of being against this whole thing from the get-go is valid and I concede that.

Most of them where very pro Madoobe and the creation of this buffer state so I dont really blame you on having that view.  

1 hour ago, Dabrow said:

Im Dblock and I resisted the creation of this state from the very start and I have made threads here about it aswell. Madoobe presence in the region stands on KDF tanks and nothing more. 

Oodweyne, Dabrow,

Why not look at the cold hard facts between Somalia and Kenya instead of looking at tribes, clans and residents or nationalists or in case of Oodweyne Ethnicist (caring about the Somali people dignity and success/failure regardless of country or region).

Somalia has a right and an interest extremely important especially at this time, to have peace with Kenya. Somalia has responsibility to contribute her share to the peace of Kenya.

The same goes for Kenya. Kenya has the right to peace with Somalia and has responsibility to contribute to the peace of Somalia.

If one side will not or cannot guarantee the agreed and common interest of peace for both, the other side will do it all by his own. That is what happened.

The Kenyans may have gone a bit too far the way they are trying to guarantee peace for their country, but on the other hand their right to have peace on the agreed border which was promised and agreed (late Barre).

The kenyans trying to guarantee their own peace in their country by having good relations with locals of the border area should not be taken as undermining Somalia. After all its the people on both sides of the border who have more interest in peace and also pay the highest price when there is conflict between Somalia and Kenya. Oodweyne can write, contribute some money and talk about Kenya to high heaven from the principle that the Somali should be respected, but the man in the area has immediate life and death closeness to it.

Unless Somalis start seeing issues from stand point of the interest of the Somalis directly affected by an issue first and then only seeing issues from the general Somli people interest, blaming Ghelleh for interfering in Mogadishu, blaming Xabeshi for everything under the sun, blaming Kenya for South and South  West, and then condemning every Somali that tries to do something peaceful for his home province is not going to get anywhere.

The accusations and blaming of the issue of who is close and at peace with Ethiopia is also same as this issue. Puntland, Bay and Bakool, Somaliland are seasonaly blamed for having peaceful working contacts with their immediate border from Ethiopia and Somalilands case with Federal Ethiopia, but nobody seems to care the fact that there is no option for Puntland or Bay other than peace and security with their neighbor the kilil, same goes for HiirShaballe and others. Its simple have good will to your neighbor and you will force your neighbor at least to be neutral if he is not having good will to you favourably. Wish and work for peace of your neighbor, your neighbor will do the same.

Holac   

What is the Somali government going to do about the new revelation on the heels of Kenya annexing more land? In normal country, the legitimacy of "Jubaland" through Somali government's official recognition as "dowlad goboleed" would be rescinded and Madoobe jailed for treason. But we all know that is never going to come, so we the people are stuck with the status quo until a better day arrives.

4 minutes ago, Holac said:

What is the Somali government going to do about the new revelation on the heels of Kenya annexing more land? In normal country, the legitimacy of "Jubaland" through Somali government's official recognition as "dowlad goboleed" would be rescinded and Madoobe jailed for treason. But we all know that is never going to come, so we the people are stuck with the status quo until a better day arrives.

Holac,

I would say that the border between Kenya and Somalia is well defined at this time. The late president Barre signed an agreement with Kenya in the heat of Ethiopian counter offensive, trying to neutralize Kenya and trying to assure them that Somalia will not claim and has rescended her wish of Bringing all Somalis under one country.

Current government of Somalia should not spend any energy on border issues now. If you do not consolidate the center you will be chaisn villages at the periphery till end of time.

President Farmaajo can have a talk with President of Kenya, a friendly talk and reminder for the record, but move on. Bringing a village from Kenya will not get the Somali people one solid state that can support all villages all around.

It might be simplistic, but that is how I see it.

galbeedi   
1 hour ago, Old_Observer said:

The kenyans trying to guarantee their own peace in their country by having good relations with locals of the border area should not be taken as undermining Somalia

Stop interpreting the national goals of our country. Kenya and Ethiopia  has no business to deal with the Somali locals whether they are GEdo, Puntland or  Hargeisa. THey never even tried to keep the border in the height of Al-shabaab in 2008-09. 

They have been given green light by other powers, but, I can assure the Kenyans will be expelled as soon as we put our house in order. Furthermore, we will take a book from your game and talk to the Sidamo people you are oppressing in the name of Southern communities, and other. We will have a say how the Gurage are threatened let alone Somalis.

Do not tell us Kenya is doing for us. 

We are coming so be worry my friend. 

galbeedi   

One small Somali brigade could chase the Kenyan to Mombasa. They used to throw their guns when they see a Somali soldier.

Ah, waakaa Gabre igu diganaya maanta.