Sign in to follow this  
Zafir

What’s more offensive?

Castro   

Originally posted by Kooleey:

^I know what the M refers to but what does f.a.q.a.s.h mean? I've come across it a couple of times.

Whatever it is, it's horrible sounding and couldn't possibly be a term of endearment. Someone would lose teeth if they call me that. :D

Sayyid   

What are you implying Zafir, I am "fair" coloured 'waan midab furanahay oo waxaan ahay nin cas'. I don't care if it owned by someone else because that's the best description I can think off.

I've got relatives who are 'yellow', so because it's owned by 'chinese' my relative can't be yellow you're saying.

It's like saying 'yeah, my niece is nine years of age and 'your cousing can't be nine years of age' because 'the age of nine' is already reserved for my niece.

Maybe the people you descriped should apply for a 'patency' to the label 'brown'.

I am brown and no one can deny it to me, unlike some close relative of mine who is really black.

Somalis got different skin colours like this guy below:

419ciyaaryahan%20west.jpg

Comapared to this one, what colour would you call this one:

4623944UgoaAufKyF_ph.jpg

Zafir   

Sayyid, saxiib you can look brown but you fall under the category of black. That’s all am saying, didn't mean to imply anything else.

What's being discussed here is the label the word “black" carries.

Lo0oL @ Sayyid.

My 4-year-old cousin insists he is 'caramel'-coloured and not black at all. He doesn't like the 'brownies' or 'chocolates' in his play-group, but he loves the blonde girls.

All kids go through that phase apparently, but I guess it sticks with some. *Looks at Sayyid* :D

Cara.   

Hello Kooleey,

Originally posted by Kooleey:

Calypso;

Really, really believe it? Or are you saying this because your already black, have no choice in the matter, and its much better to accept than wish for something you will never get?

No, I really really believe it. I can't explain how dismayed I am that you offer the other possibility. Are you suggesting that, given the choice, you'd rather be White? And that this is the norm for the Blacks you know? Which Black people do you associate with?

I'm asking because when people tell me these lines of 'black is beautiful' and 'the blacker the berry, the sweeter the juice' I keep asking them questions till they admit that they'd rather be any other colour than black. I'd ask if you could be any race which one would you be, they'd say somali. Don't you wonder why no one says 'I'd love to be sudanese, or west african'. Trust me, deep down inside people are terrified of being pitch black with kinky hair. The true black look.

Okay, there are a couple of issues here. One, if you ask a Black person reared in White racist America, which devalues Blacks insidiously in every possible way, whether they'd rather be Black or White, don't be surprised if they are a little confused on the subject. If I grew up in this kind of environment I would be ambivalent about my race too, especially if I did not have intelligent mentors that let me see through to what's important. But their confusion has no bearing on what I believe, which is that black is indeed beautiful. Sometimes to distraction...

Another issue you've raised is the question of the "true black look". Who told you that having pitch-black skin and kinky hair is true blackness, and anything different is somehow not the genuine article? There are more variations of appearance in Africa than in any other continent, and the Somali/Ethiopean look is as authentically Black as the Sudanese/West African look. Somali isn't a race, it's a nationality, and Somalis are Black. If they weren't, they wouldn't be trying to look white by lightening their skin with hydroquinone and treating their hair with lye. As for which look one prefers, humans have a deep-seated attraction to the "mulatto" look and always pick a person of mixed racial features as being the most attractive. Few want to be at the extremes when it comes to physical appearance. That your acquaintances would rather have the Somali look is a reflection of this desire to exhibit hybrid vigor, but no doubt it's combined with an inferiority complex few are wise enough to overcome.

Rahima   

^ :D

Talk about self-hating ay!

I remeber i once told my best friends young cousin (she was about four then) that she was black. Oh my God, what ensued made me wish i never spoke :D .

I don't find black offensive, just like calling a caucasian individual white is not offensive. Technically we are not black, but then again caucasians are not technically white. Coloured however is offensive, it carries with it the stigma of slavery.

Castro   

Originally posted by Callypso:

Somali isn't a race, it's a nationality, and Somalis are Black. If they weren't, they wouldn't be trying to look white by lightening their skin with hydroquinone and treating their hair with lye.

This is as scientific as it gets, good Callypso. And I wondered all these years how I'd go about proving Somalis were black. :D

Faheema.   

LoL Ahura….

I remember hearing this Joke few years back.

A woman and her grandson were on a plane…the plane started to liic liic (there was turbulence) the captain decided that some of the people had to jump out of the plane or it would crash…. so He said to be fair…we would do it in alphabetical order….and so he went…

Captain: Could ALL the African American please leave the plane.

Grandson: Grandma...that’s us….lets go

Grandma: Son….sit tight…let me handle this

Captain: Could ALL the Black people leave the plane please

Grandson: Grandma, that’s us we must leave the plane

Grandma: Son, I will deal with this…you just sit and wait

Captain: Could ALL the Coloured people leave the plane please

Grandson: Grandma, what are you waiting for, people are stirring at us

Grandma: Listen to me Son…Today we are Ni99ers

:D:D

Cara.   

LOL@Fay, hopefully the pilot will say Caucasian instead of White...

Castro, just raid their bathroom medicine cabinets, you're bound to find jars of "Diana" or hair relaxer of choice. Brandish it. If they haven't called the cops, you may have made your point. 'Course they'll never invite you to their homes again...

Callypso, what I described is the true undiluted african look. The rest had ancestors who played hanky panky with god knows what!

Like I said before, your definition of black is beautiful is probably those mixed people. Besides most people always claim that their race/nationality is beautiful. Biased. ;)

No, I really really believe it. I can't explain how dismayed I am that you offer the other possibility. Are you suggesting that, given the choice, you'd rather be White? And that this is the norm for the Blacks you know? Which Black people do you associate with?

Cally dear, not at all. I'm just saying, by stroke of fate, if you were born Chinese or Idian or White, you'd feel the same way as you do now. You'd think that your particular ethicnity is beautiful/superior whatever. Ma fahante? And the black people I associate with and I've asked those questions are Somalis believe it or not.

Beauty is relative anyway.

Castro   

^ The hanky panky is a sign of good (mixed) genes. We intrinsically like it as humans because it shows us (from evolution) that it is less likely to be prone to disease and other hereditary issues. Mixing is good. I'm retracting my earlier "keep the gene pool pure" statement. :(