Sign in to follow this  
wacdaraha_aduunka

PUNTLAND SHOPPING COMPLEX

Naden   

I wonder how a mall that has 252 shops can survive in a region where most at or below subsistance level :confused: . It just seems this classic capitalist venture requires some movement of capital from consumer to vendor to government and so on. In the least, there would be many stores selling the same merchandise that would appeal to different tastes. That would presume purchasing power in the consumer. Maybe the stores are smaller than usual establishment, even smaller than the typical convenience type store where a little of everything is available.

Maf Kees   

Blessed and Kashanre. I sure hope you two didn't study Economy with all due respect.

I'll explain why. Look here, economic growth is fueled by investment. So if a shopping mall comes and penetrates into a market dominated by cardboard dukaamo, than that is actually good. It changes the economy for the better, think about professional service for instance and other new conveniences. So what relevance does these dukaamo's historical role have? Who cares about those tacky cardboard dukaamo?

Those Somali traders need this development to wake up and step up their game or find another job. Their only competition are poor streetkids selling the same products for a fraction of their price and these kids are broke as the joke. So no threat there. Somalia's micro-economy needs to leap forward not inch forward and definitely not sit on its phat phuto.

Castro.

I must admit, the more I think about this project, the more ridiculous it sounds. CCTV, 252 meherado, 5 makhaayado, parking space for up to 150 fatuurado? Is Galkayo a friggin undiscovered metropolis or something. My goodness!

Castro   

^ That's exactly right. No one here knows what Galkacayo is like. May be that's where Modesty is. :D

Maybe this is the first mall of its kind that has 252 stores each representing one clan or subclan in Somalia. This way, the existing enmity and animosity between Somalis can be capitalized on and people would buy not because they need or can afford things but to outdo clan X or Y. Now that's a business plan right there. I could just see the ads for these stores in my head.

CHE   

You gather 252 businesses and organize them into a cluster-of-stores(mall) that can be better secured and managed.Then you hire a security,janitor,attendant out of the populace of the water-have-nots with the hope that you may provide few change for them to cover the water charges.

Lack of H2O has more to do with the land we dwell on than how some dude from the west spends his dough.

Baashi   

Envy them :D

Hats off to the investors who put their hard earned assets in good use. No one wants to waste their money. These folks have done a feasibility study (one hopes) on this project and concluded that there is a buck to make in the shopping sector. Nothing wrong with that. If they are wrong in their assessment market forces will take care of that.

Now realistically speaking they are more likely to do well in this biz for it is a unique market niche that they ahve tapped into. Folks in that neck of the wood do spend money on basic necessities as well as other stuff ranging from makeup, clothes, to computer hardware and jewelery...the whole gammut. As of now they take their green to the market centers and come back with itching eyes full of dust. They will be better served with this shopping center around the corner. Why not have better, bigger, cleaner, prettier, and classy mall for the shoppers?

The decent services they will provide to the locals and the poineering biz style they are bringing to the area is a progress in my book. Not to mention the employment opportunities they will create.

Looking good...that's the spirit of entreprenuership. Two faryareeys up.

Blessed   

Castro,

Of course, those outside the mall will have to compete with the ones inside the CCTV, air-conditioned mall

That’s my point. I wonder why they don’t set up in London or Dubai where there is a need. Somalia doesn't need a retail out-let, we need to start producing more and exporting more.

Thanks for the compliment Kashanre, but the Monkey is right. I don’t know much about economics but that doesn't blind me to the concept of fair trade.

Who cares about those tacky cardboard dukaamo?

The poor old ladies (and their 5 kids) that run them.

Those Somali traders need this development to wake up and step up their game or find another job.

LOL! Do you honestly think that they have the capacity or the money to compete with rich trader?

I don't know, maybe the nomad above me is right, maybe I'm blinded by envy. :rolleyes:

Laakin, if I had the choice of shopping in an air-conditioned rich Farax owned complex or giving my shillings to a poor Islaan that needs it, I'd go for the later.

Baashi   

I don't know, maybe the nomad above me is right, maybe I'm blinded by envy.

It is ok Blessed you can call me by my first name :D And no don't take it personal.

On a serious note abaayo there is nothing wrong with doing business in a decent and cleaner way and thinking big. That's the only way we can raise the bar in the biz sector. At the end of the day customers will be the judge and the jury. If they are not satisfied or for that matter the price is not realistic then this endeavor will fail and hopefully there will be lessons learned experience.

I don't see the merits of criticizing a perfect legitimate and halal biz enterprise on grounds of being clean, efficient, expensive, bigger scale with nice amenities and what have you. I really didn't see that coming.

As to helping Islaamo aka warato by becoming a customer not cuz the value of what they are selling but out of compassion well that's very nice and thoughtful of you, really. I will call that kinda gesture sadaqo. In biz however it's about fair trade where one expects quality product for his hard earned money. If islaamo have quality product then by all means customers will go there for shopping.

This is a progress.

Blessed   

^ :D

I wasn't avoiding naming you, just forgot who the nomad above me was. But, hey I didn't think good Baashi can be so insensitive. *pokes Baashi in the eye*

:D

Anyway, I think I've already (over) stated my take on the matter. If you really want to know where I'm coming from, I trust the following link might interest you.

How to Capitalize on Entrepreneurship in Failed States?

P.S

I didn't call it illegal or haraam.

Salaams

Castro   

^ What you're unaware of, good Blessed, is that old man Baashi hails from suburban Galkacayo and if this semi, if not entirely, ludicrous business endeavour were contemplated for, say, Las Caanood, Baydhaba or even Burco, he'd be singing the tune of that article you linked. :D

Baashi   

^Or I could be one of those investors for all ya know :D

Outch! :D Ahem! ya know u hurt me there Blessed :D

10 points.

Castro   

^ So I guessed your GPS coordinates right? Or are you responding to Blessed. Either way, I'm the man. :D

Castro   

^ Ok. I get one more guess. Narrow it down for me, east, north, west or south of Galkacayo? I've a suspicion it's not south and it's not west or east. That only leaves north of Galkacayo. I need to look in the map again. brb. :D

Baashi   

U are something buddy. How the hell did u figure it all out. No wonder they call u da man in SOL crib.

Now are u ready. Aight it is somewhere between Gabileey and Boorame. I completely forget about the name of the tuulo and my old man is not around to help me rediscover my roots but I'm pretty sure it is somewhere there.

There u have it buddy :D

Castro   

Originally posted by Baashi:

Aight it is somewhere between Gabileey and Boorame.

:D:D

I got some bad news for you atheer. There's absolutely nothing between Gabiley and Boorama. Nada. Zip. May be that's where we need to build that mall. It would be one of those off the freeway, name brand strip malls where you can get all your Tommy Hilfiger gear. ;)

I've no idea where you're form good Baashi and in the great scheme of things, it's entirely irrelevant.