XARUNTA DUKAMEYSIGA PUNTLAND

ken%206.jpg

ken%204.jpg

Features :

252 SHOPS

5 RESTAURANT

AMPLE PARKING UP TO 150 CARS

TELEPHONE CABLING

FULLY GUARDED AND COMPLETE CAMERA SURVEILLANCE (CCTV)

BOUNDARY WALL WITH ELECTRIC FENCE

GOOD LOCATION LESS THAN HALF KILOMETER FROM CITY CENTRE

100 METERS FROM MAIN ROAD AND BEFORE TAAR HOTEL

LOCATION GALKAYO

Source either Hiiraan.com

or http://www.puntlandshoppingcomplex.com/

RedSea   

ASSALAMU CALAYKUM,

If they build it just exactly as they designed it, it would be very nice fecility to shop . I won't be critical but is there any doubt that the end of the world is near? because from Hargeysa to Galkacayo people are building shopping centers, hotels, villas etc. while many people can't find drop of water to drink for the sake of their lives. May Allah save us.

Assalamu Calaykum.

Castro   

Originally posted by Red Sea Casse:

I won't be critical but is there any doubt that the end of the world is near?
because from Hargeysa to Galkacayo people are building shopping centers, hotels, villas etc. while many people can't find drop of water to drink
for the sake of their lives.

Not to mention universities that rank 39th in Africa. :rolleyes:

Blessed   

The building of these supermarkets / malls is the most senseless, selfish act by capitalist Expiat Somalis.

Hotels have their uses, villas house otherwise homeless relatives. But, I can’t for the life of me find a single justification for these malls. Expect maybe to provide an escape zone for those spoilt qurbaawi dhaqan celis kids or maybe to attract tourists but trust me, they will not interested in sub-standard shopping malls.

So that leaves the locals.

What on earth does the average Somali need these malls for? Can they afford to spend away their $100 a month allowance? What about the impact this will have on local markets that are the main source of income for many locals?

I understand that there is a great need for development, but the government should stop this callous capitalist venture before gets out of hand.

^^

I agree with all 3 of y'all walahi! My mother always used to say: "Soomaalidu intaysan guri dhisan bay telefishan gataan". Prime example right here. People starving, others building malls. Then we wonder why our Motherland is so screwed up.

Maf Kees   

I agree with you, I don't see the logic either. But come on and let's wear the happy glasses. At least they're investing in their country. If they would build a shopping complex in the US, they would be praised. Let that marinade......

Castro   

^ Invest? Come on Danyer, atheer you possess more sense than that. Exactly who will be pulling up into the 150-car parking lot? Technicals? What about the CCTV? Is that for shoplifters? Who's gonna eat in the food court? The starving and thirsty masses?

Let's get real. This is capitalism learnt in America that's gone bad.

I personally know someone (a doctor) who opened a medical clinic back home. They charge a fair and accessible price to make a living but more importantly, they provide an invaluable service for all those who are sick. That's a brilliant business opportunity if one has the bloody money to build a bloody "shopping" fcukin center.

Another good idea is to build private schools since no public education exists. With it they can make a decent living off of it and provide another invaluable service to many.

These clinics and schools would really be no profit as they would barely cover their expenses and hence would need the help of angel investeors and donors. Ask me to donate to a bloody mall that sells things no one needs or can afford and I say: "Gimme a ooucc".

^ Double Ouuc.

I saw the pic and thought 'Galkacyo, here I come!' :D

Whats wrong with Capitalism? Whats wrong with making money? Lets get real ppl..

No incentive = No investment.

Altruism is good, but cannot be the only driver.

Naden   

Originally posted by Castro:

^ Invest? Come on Danyer, atheer you possess more sense than that. Exactly who will be pulling up into the 150-car parking lot? Technicals? What about the CCTV? Is that for shoplifters? Who's gonna eat in the food court? The starving and thirsty masses?

LOL :D .

Reminds me of a special on TV about mega mall in Phillipines. People use the air-conditioned space to cool down and spend their days and the administration spends a small fortune in private security to prevent theft. With the country boiling socially, I eagerily await the fate of these malls.

Maf Kees   

Castro.

I agree with you that one slightly lacks morale when you open up a shopping complex in a country where famine reigns supreme. I am with you on that atheer.

With that said though. Your argumentation is a little bit sloppy and I think that you know that very well atheer. For instance: you assume that there is zero demand for this shopping mall in Somalia. Why would any sane Somali invest in something that doesn't stand a chance? Clearly (I hope for them otherwise) that there are people that would utilise the services provided by this shopping mall. If they make healthy profits, who are we to fingerpoint at these investors?

Secondly, another geffe you're making is equating this shopping mall with opening private clinics and schools. As far as I know donating and investing don't have the same meaning. I sense a classic communist style of intimidating from you atheer. You sound as if you had killed the Romanovs with your bare hands. :D There are successful shopping malls in Mogadishu and Hargeisa. The success of these shopping malls prove that they are filling up a vacuüm, but at the same time provide employment - wether it be direct employment, the suppliers, construction workers and sofort. Not to mention that they attract wealthy Somalis in the diaspora to return home and in turn their sheer presence is a boost for the local economy.

Finding this morally objectionale or even disgusting depends on the way you look at it and the hidden factors you take into consideration. Why condemn them if this is after all their private money? Some let it sit in the bank, others invest in stocks and others build a friggin shopping mall in Nairobi. Why the disdain for this investment solely on the fact that it shares location with the very same poor people (11 million in total now) that are suffering from starvation? Is that fair? Surely atheer you know where I'm coming from.

Castro   

^ That's the Danyer I've come to know and like. :D

The value of such a business opportunity is there. How it compares to other endeavours is open to debate. I agree. Your argument is pretty good and I'd just say that they way the advert for the mall was laid out made me think of the greed that's involved. Capitalism is based on greed and it doesn't quite work well for everyone. Definitely not in a place like Somalia. To each his own I suppose.

Blessed   

Originally posted by Danyer:

At least they're investing in their country. If they would build a shopping complex in the US, they would be praised. Let that marinade......

I'd praise them!

My only objection is the potential impact these ventures have on the local market. I'm sure the locals weren't consulted so it’s very worrisome.

I don’t have a problem with small-scale retail outlets that sell things Somalis would travel to Dubai for (dirac store) but when someone builds a complex as huge as this, they’re only setting out to monopolize the consumer market. That is wrong in the Somali context.

Those markets as tacky as they are (to our taste) have been the backbone for Somali economy since time immemorial and a source of income for many families.

Gabbal   

^Has someone studied Economy? What you are trying to explain is clear to any and all who choose to look at the complete picture, but as Somalis, the underlying thing is not economically sound initiatives as opposed to what makes us look good. It is what we do best!

Castro   

Blessed, this is supposedly a mall and not a Walmart type gig so it'll have individually owned stores. Of course, those outside the mall will have to compete with the ones inside the CCTV, air-conditioned mall. ;)