Sign in to follow this  
Chimera

Your taste in books?

Ma ogeyn in aad carrabka la'dahay saaxib :D

balse waa iga dhab - waa sheeko madadilo soomaaliyeed (somali folklore) - inkastoo aanan hubin magaca guud ee sheekada - jilayaasha/dadka muhiimka ah waa Geenyo (faras duula oo hadlana) iyo Cali (wiil rajo ah) oo geenyada isla dhasheen - hooyadoodna fooshi ku dhimatay - aabbohood aya islan kale guursaday - islaantii ayaa ka masayrtay Cali & Geenyo iyo Jaceylka aabbohood ka dhexeeya iyo waxyaala kalo badan - aan sheekada soo gaabiye - Cali iyo Geenyo deggaankoodi bay ka carareen - oo tageen degaan kale - meel mas jejebiso ah laga baqo oo dad loogu qalo si laysaga mamusiyo - markay cali iyo geenyo imaaden - inaantii reer boqor - baa geed maska ugu xirnayd - ... waa sheeko dheer heedhe - wax ma dhuuxday hadda???

Adaa mudan Adaanow - just wondering if anybody else heard of the Cali kudaaf story???

your picture on the other thread reminded me of the story.

Cara.   

Notice the story details Adam:

Main character is an orphan (your character should have a difficult childhood, or something should happen in his formative years to alienate him from the community). Maybe a terrible tragedy destroys his home, or he is born with what his people consider a curse or deformity. Cruel stepmothers, jealous older siblings and evil uncles are popular.

Befriends a fantastical creature/person (a genie, a fairy godmother, a talking horse, a flying half-giant on a motorcycle, a wise old wizard).

Goes on a journey to a dangerous land.

Heroic deeds, a love interest at this point, becomes an adult.

Returns to home a hero OR leaves for a more fantastical journey he earned for his bravery/sacrifice.

Cinderella, Aladdin, Joseph, Frodo, even Caraweelo. It's a pattern that resonates with people everywhere. That's why Harry Potter and LOTR are "mainstream". They use the same frame story effectively (although JK Rowling chickens out at the end of Harry Potter which makes for a disappointing conclusion).

Your intended audience is young adults, right? Well, they are even more susceptible to the story because all teenagers feel alienated and special and they yearn for an epic journey of self-discovery.

Chimera   

I recognise some of the archs in my own story though it was not done intentionally, its basically impossible to tell a tale without these classic features, thanks Cara.

Napoleon   

Lol@somali vampires. Somalia wouldn't make good vampires with their rotting teeth due to khat abuse.

Fantasy genre mostly appeals white male teenagers. No sane somali has time to read a ridiculous story about a somali medusa with an elongated clitoris from outer space.

^there is reason why acquires the name ‘Kudaaf’ - when he rescued the princesses – he came to agreement with her that she does not divulge his secret of having Geenyo as half sibling nor of his prowess. Love story evolves from there – where Cali used to pretend to be poor low life guy who lived off the dumpster with tatted clothes and smirches of unpleasant smells. He came to be known as the Cali Kudaaf. In the last plot of the story – king falls ill – with the only medicine miles – of days and nights journey away – the best able men of the town assembly to retrieve medicine in hope of carrying favour with the king. They set off – Cali Kudaaf gets there before them – meets them half way – in his disguise – offers to give them the medicine – on condition that he – stamps their backsides – to cut the long story short – they men came back with the medicine – their backs tamped with “Cali Kudaaf”.

Aint i the most terrible story teller???

Originally posted by A.Z:

[QB] GG, Did the Lord of the Rings trilogy of films scare you?

Oh, I see you dug through my posts to find out who I was! smile.gif (2+2=5 is rather annoying to type all the time, so just call me 5)

Actually, I watched the second LotR alone (I was such a loner) and it scared the crap out of me. Same with first HP.

Star Trek has to many offshoots such as Voyager, Deep Space Nine, countless films etc, so its hard to get into it, but i enjoyed the recent Star Trek film, maybe this is because it was a stand alone movie.

Star Trek (2009) is fabulous. A brilliant blockbuster in every sense of the word.

If you like films such as LotR, and
Stardust
then you should definitely check out this genre.

I like Neil Gaiman's short stories. Especially his take on Snow White ("Snow, Glass, Apples") is particularly good. I haven't read Stardust though, just saw the film adaptation.

My story is similar in spirit to the old tv shows like Xena & Herc, mixed with Kingdom of Heaven & Troy.

Our whole household used to watch Hercules. It was so entertaining. Xena was alright.

i will not turn my Somali heroes into individuals from [..insert country], just to make a buck, or appeal to a greater audience.

Depending on type of publishing, trust me, you will have to change a lot of things to appeal to a greater audience/ make bucks. Publishing houses are not charities. But I get what you mean smile.gif

But I have to say, this is very admirable. A lot of people talk about writing a book but very few actually do it. I wish you best of luck with your first book! I really hope you get a publishing deal and it becomes a best-seller smile.gif InshaAllah I'll be rooting for you.

Chimera   

Haatu, proofreading and editing is a long process, but insha-allah i will.

5, your Star Wars dance topic reminded me of your earlier incarnation, a pleasant suprise. Why did you begin a film Trilogy by watching the sequel first? :D The third film is far more darker than the earlier two and features a giant black spider that scared the living daylights out of most of the people in the theatre, so i wonder what your reaction would be to that one. :D

About the publishing i agree, but if your confident about your work, then no amount of intimidation/manipulation from your agent and Publisher will pursuade you to change your story, especially if these two entities like it aswell.

chubacka   

welcome back btw Adam i usually run away from Sci-fi/fantasy but it would be a different story if it was set in Somalia.

All the best with the writing, would be a great achievement.