Sign in to follow this  
Chimera

Your taste in books?

Chimera   

I'm close to finishing a Sword & Sorcery book taking place in Medieval Somalia, and have begun on a Somali Vampire love story spanning 8 centuries(and several continents), but as i finished the illustration of the cover, i started wondering wether the Fantasy genre actually appeals to Somali people, and Somali women specifically since many of the themes, and strong female characters in my book are directed towards them, and inspired by them. However, i'm also interested in the opinions from the male demographic, since they play an equal important role in my stories.

What Fantasy books have you read?

btw No 'Twilight' please, *qaaaaq tuff* :D

I was so excited when I first read your post. I wrote you a long reply but whilst I was writing it, a lot of questions came up, and I realized that although both your ideas sound refreshingly original, they may not be enough to carry through a whole book.

But I'd definitely like to hear more. The first idea especially (Swords & Sorcery) sounds promising as you obviously did extensive research (otherwise you may drop the word 'medieval').

But to answer your question: I like modern / postmodern literature. But I'm happy to support a fellow Somali, even it was chick lit/ horror.

Cara.   

Welcome back Adam!

You must read Joseph Campbell's "The Hero With a Thousand Faces". Basically, successful fantasy novels have a very well-established pattern that you can exploit to appeal to just about everyone. Everything from ancient mythology to Lord of the Rings to Harry Potter to Suul Cawro has an underlying structure. Apply that structure with your own spin and you don't have to worry about appealing to Somalis, or to women specifically. If you write it they will come smile.gif

Chimera   

Originally posted by 2+2=5:

I was so excited when I first read your post. I wrote you a long reply but whilst I was writing it, a lot of questions came up, and I realized that although both your ideas sound refreshingly original, they may not be enough to carry through a whole book.

But I'd definitely like to hear more. The first idea especially (Swords & Sorcery) sounds promising as you obviously did extensive research (otherwise you may drop the word 'medieval').

But to answer your question: I like modern / postmodern literature. But I'm happy to support a fellow Somali, even it was chick lit/ horror.

It's going to be a series of books. The first one will be about three childhood friends, whose lives get ripped apart by a rampaging demon send from Abyssinia that destroys their Castle city. The first book basically introduces these characters, their upbringing, their new lives in the aftermath of the carnage, their training under specific brotherhoods and sisterhoods and their eventual destiny as adults(which i prefer not to reveal, since its a twist). The books that follow this one, again center around the two brothers and the girl of the first book, but will include another strong female character, an immortal sorceress.

There is also another story i'm working on, a pre-quel to the above series, that will follow the adventures of three prominent and talented teachers from those brother & sisterhoods i mentioned before, which are complex institutions directly based on historic Somali male and female organisations. Then you have stories set further in the future but still related to the above, taking place in 70s Somalia and modern day Calgary, Canada.

So, I would say don't worry, Somali history and culture has given me so much to draw from, that at one point 30 different stories were circulating in my head, but this was taking it's toll on the current story i was working on, so i decided to just write the plots and potential titles down and continue working on this one.

Chimera   

Originally posted by Cara.:

Welcome back Adam!

Thanks sister. smile.gif

You must read Joseph Campbell's "The Hero With a Thousand Faces". Basically, successful fantasy novels have a very well-established pattern that you can exploit to appeal to just about everyone. Everything from ancient mythology to Lord of the Rings to Harry Potter to Suul Cawro has an underlying structure. Apply that structure with your own spin and you don't have to worry about appealing to Somalis, or to women specifically. If you write it they will come
smile.gif

That's the thing, its not the structure or theme of my book that i worry about it, but instead wether Somalis are as much interested in that genre as they are for non-fiction, specifically the Postmodern books 2+2=5 referenced above. If you look at the SOL book clubs, 90% or less are non-fictional books that are recommended.

I could invent the most efficient Skiing gear, but will we see Somalis racing through the Alps as a result? :D

Ofcourse this is not a good analogy since i have seen plenty of Somali kids reading Harry or Tolkien, but those are mainstream books, its a bit like how someone listening to a versatile global artist like Michael Jackson, really doesn't tell you their specific interest in music other than it being 'good'.

Blessed   

^I'd buy anything you write, Adam. Just make it good. Welcome back, wlaalo. Hope all is well. smile.gif

I read everything, even get book recommendations from my little friends. I love chic lit though I mostly read war related novels.

Chimera   

Originally posted by Blessed.*:

^I'd buy anything you write, Adam. Just make it good. Welcome back, wlaalo. Hope all is well.
smile.gif

Thanks Blessed*, good to see your still around.

I read everything, even get book recommendations from my little friends. I love chic lit though I mostly read war related novels.

Historical war novels ex: Napoleonic/Mongol conquests etc, or modern war novels? Could you give me some examples? Would a book like the one below, only set in a historic Somali war like the Conquest of Abyssinia, Ajuraan-Portugal war or the Dervish era interest you?:

0312336578.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

because these are future projects, Insha-allah.

Well I don't like reading anything that involves demons. I don't like scary stuff.

I love sci-fi and anything that takes place in space and other planets, but only if they're films (Star Wars, Star Trek, Stargate etc). I tried reading Isaac Asimov and that other guy whose name I've forgotten, but it felt like homework. And I wasn't particularly interested.

Fantasy is cool. Again, I don't think I've read fantasy books - ever. I've never read HP or these other fantasy books out there. But I will definitely watch.

I don't think this is very helpful.

I do like reading historic novels though, stories set in places and times that no longer exist. I think, if you don't include heavy words you've made up too much, it will be more reader friendly.

The way you've told, Swords & Sorcery sounds a little like HP but more interesting setting.

I like simple things executed in extraordinary way. Picasso once said, take something that everybody knows and present in a way that nobody has seen it before. Something simple like a violin or a can. Hence my infatuation with stories about ordinary people.

But this is my personal taste, and it doesn't make a difference really. Your idea is interesting on a universal level and I'm simply curious as to why you would limit this to simply Somalis - are you going to write it in Somali? - who notoriously have difficulty even reading homework.

And last but not least: how are you going to portrait sorcery in your book? As something good or bad ? You wouldn't want to encourage people, as it's strictly haram. But these are decisions you make on a personal level as success-wise it doesn't really matter.

Chimera   

Originally posted by 2+2=5:

Well I don't like reading anything that involves demons. I don't like scary stuff.

GG, Did the Lord of the Rings trilogy of films scare you?

I love sci-fi and anything that takes place in space and other planets, but only if they're films (Star Wars, Star Trek, Stargate etc).

I love the two Star Wars trilogies and the first series of Stargate(the one with Mcgyver), but Star Trek has to many offshoots such as Voyager, Deep Space Nine, countless films etc, so its hard to get into it, but i enjoyed the recent Star Trek film, maybe this is because it was a stand alone movie.

I tried reading Isaac Asimov and that other guy whose name I've forgotten, but it felt like homework. And I wasn't particularly interested.

I agree Hard Scifi is not my thing either.

Fantasy is cool. Again, I don't think I've
read
fantasy books - ever. I've never read HP or these other fantasy books out there. But I will definitely watch.

I don't think this is very helpful.

If you like films such as LotR, and Stardust then you should definitely check out this genre.

I do like reading historic novels though, stories set in places and times that no longer exist. I think, if you don't include heavy words you've made up too much, it will be more reader friendly.

The way you've told, Swords & Sorcery sounds a little like HP but more interesting setting.

My story is similar in spirit to the old tv shows like Xena & Herc, mixed with Kingdom of Heaven & Troy.

I like simple things executed in extraordinary way. Picasso once said, take something that everybody knows and present in a way that nobody has seen it before. Something simple like a violin or a can. Hence my infatuation with stories about ordinary people.

But this is my personal taste, and it doesn't make a difference really. Your idea is interesting on a universal level and I'm simply curious as to why you would limit this to simply Somalis - are you going to write it in Somali? - who notoriously have difficulty even reading homework.

No it will be in English(though i'm going to try translating it in multiple languages), and i'm not limiting it to Somalis only, but they are the main audience i'm targeting, i will not turn my Somali heroes into individuals from [..insert country], just to make a buck, or appeal to a greater audience. In fact i think my unique Somali setting sets my Fantasy epic apart from the many Tolkienesque stories that are published every year.

And last but not least: how are you going to portrait sorcery in your book? As something good or bad ? You wouldn't want to encourage people, as it's strictly haram. But these are decisions you make on a personal level as success-wise it doesn't really matter.

LOL in the third book, one of the female characters will be lifting an entire city into the sky, i don't think any Farah or Halimo will be trying that anytime soon. Sorcery is used mainly by ambitious individuals, some will commit evil acts to increase their power and others make sure those characters are stopped.

NGONGE   

You could write a book on the softness of crocodile skin when compared to Amazonian mosquitoes, and Somalis will still buy it, Adam. They might not buy it if it were written by an Ethiopian or someone of any other nationality but just because you are Somali you'll be to their taste. :D

Now have you written something or are these just ideas in your head? I see you talking about sequels and stuff above. Waa bad ordaysa. :D

Chimera   

Ngonge, i'm almost finished with the first book, and i have the storylines for the sequels all planned out. I agree, to many ideas can be counterproductive, which is why i stopped working on them all simultaneously. At one point i was working on a story set in 100 B.C, then one in the modern era, then a Scifi set 'One million' years from now, and then back to the medieval one, it was quite hectic.

Chimera   

Originally posted by NGONGE:

^^ With all those things going on all at the same time, you must have got tardis.
icon_razz.gif

Do you watch Dr Who? is it good, or just hype?

Originally posted by Sherban Shabeel:

LOL @ a rampapaging demon from Abysinnia

At the behest of their King, a wizard from that country now largely under the control of the conquering Adalites, wakes an ancient demon from her slumber and unleashed it upon the cities of Adal, one of those cities is where my heroes are born.