Sign in to follow this  
AfricaOwn

Teen (Somali) alleges sexual assault in Hamilton grade school

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/ottawa/story/2008/01/21/hamilton-assault.html

Five students at a Hamilton elementary school were suspended after a teenage girl was allegedly beaten up last week by a group of girls and then sexually assaulted by a male student.

The incident allegedly took place in the hallway at Hess Street Junior Public School in Hamilton on Wednesday, according to the girl's mother, a Somali-Canadian.

The principal, Sharon Ciannavei, said she has asked Hamilton police to investigate sexual assault allegations.

But the mother wants to know why police were not called in immediately.

The woman said her 13-year-old daughter was too ashamed to speak about the incident. But the mother told CBC News through an interpreter that, "Five girls and one boy, they beat her, kicking her, throwing her to the floor."

The woman alleged her daughter's hijab was deliberately pulled off, and then a boy pulled off her pants and touched her breasts.

The mother said her daughter is "not feeling well. She [is taking] medication for injuries, but the problem [is] she has the nightmares, she wakes up several times [each night] crying. The family's stressed. The family has crisis."

The five girls alleged to have participated in the attack were suspended for three days.

The woman alleged her daughter was told the attack was revenge for an earlier altercation between a group of white and Somali students.

Ciannavei said she wasn't aware at first that there had been an allegation of sexual assault.

She alleged that when the mother told her a boy "touched her daughter's boobs," she pointed to her hip.

Ciannavei said teachers who were in the hallway did not see a sexual assault.

She also said she was aware of a recent study detailing unreported sexual assaults in Toronto public schools, and was disturbed to find similar incidents in Hamilton.

"I'm shocked … because in a school like ours, which is probably similar to the schools in Toronto, we never see that here."

Aaliyyah   

subhanalah, that is indeed a tragedy.

laakin aaway mamulihi/macalimiinti/asxaabteydi..ma dawanayeen marka gabadha waxaas lugu sameenayay?

Yeah, I was watching the news a couple of days ago and apparently the poor girl was jumped by four girls and sexually assaulted by a boy.

I'm telling you, if that school was in Toronto (or anywhere else with a larger Somali population) that wouldn't have happened. Her parents came in and talked to the principal and her father said that she has nightmares about the whole incident. She didn't want her face to be show on television, miskeen, may Allah ease her pain inshaAllah. :(

winnie   

i dont know about other provinces, but here in quebec, minors who are victims of sexual assault are supposed to have their identities hidden.

Miriam1   

thats bloody miserable miskina I just saw in another article on the incident that the girls who gangedup on her were suspended for 3 DAYS! thats crazy right there and no boys were suspended...the whole tone of the article is suggesting a coverup and blame being put on the victim..and thats why I never support people living in small cities like Hamilton St Catherines, or London ON

Aaliyyah   

^^^in small towns discrimination is more pronounced, since most of the population are white. Therefore, If you are from minority group your rights might be overlooked.