Sign in to follow this  
Libaax-Sankataabte

Low-cut dress

s-SKIRT-large.jpg

Muslim waitress awarded £3,000 for being made to wear low-cut dress

A Muslim waitress has been awarded a £3,000 pay out for sexual harassment after being made to wear a revealing red dress for work. Fata Lemes, 33, quit her job after claiming that the low-cut dress was "disgusting" and made her look like a "prostitute". Miss Lemes, a Bosnian Muslim, had told an employment tribunal that she "might as well have been naked" in the dress.

The Central London Employment Tribunal awarded Miss Lemes damages after pointing out that only women – and not male staff – were required to wear the summer uniform at the bar in Mayfair, London. The outfit was described as "brightly coloured, figure hugging garb".

The ruling said: "Her perception was that wearing the dress would make her feel as if she was on show, as if she was being presented as one of the attractions which the Rocket Bar was offering its customers. In our view that perception was legitimate and not unreasonable."

Miss Lemes began working at the bar in May last year. A week later she was asked to change into the red dress instead of the loose fitting black linen shirt. "It was indecent. If you put this dress on you might as well be naked," she told the tribunal. "Everything finishes in the middle at the chest. It is open at the front and the back. I did not want men looking at my body."

Fata%20Lemes.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERS

source: huffingtonpost.com

That's like the pinnacle of hypocrisy.

She goes to work in a bar (if she is such a pious woman, why does she work in a bar in the first place?) and then sues the poor people because they make her wear a skanky uniform. DUH! That's what waitresses in bars are for - serving people and getting stared at.

It's like a sailor comlaining that he has to sail a ship. Or a prostitute complaining she has to have sex.

I can't believe she got 3 grand.

I think her distaste for the uniform don't have anything to do with her religious sensibilities but that fact that "Her perception was that wearing the dress would make her feel as if she was on show". Her being a Muslim has nothing to do with nothing but a poor attempt by the journalist to grab headlines. Be that as it may, working in a bar as a waitress you kind know or should know that not only are part of a show, thats how you make your money, but also have to chit chat with chatty drunk patrons, they have my sympathy.

Originally posted by rudy-Diiriye:

u missing the whole point homie! work is work but when the boss dedicates a week later how u dress, then thats illegal. u dig.

lol a uniform is a uniform. When I was a busboy, I had to wear a black shirt, black pants, black shoes. When I did security, I had to wear these ridiculous gray pants, a shirt I was given, with clip-on tie (yuck!) and epaulettes.

If you're a waitress in a bar, you wear skimpy skirts. It's just the way it is.

well i guess u didnt read the article carefully.

she was allowed to wear normal attire for week to work and then the boss ordered her to wear the skimpy stuff....didnt u read!

it will have been different if the skimpy uniform was in place when she got hired. Then if she didnt like, she wont have to take the job. u see where i coming from.

Originally posted by Sherban Shabeel:

That's like the pinnacle of hypocrisy.

;)

And Rudy D a job is just NOT a job, some jobs you can tell from a mile you ain't got ish to do with and clearly not suited for you, w/out even turning to dinta to confirm, so yarta had it coming!

Khayr   

When I was a busboy, I had to wear a black shirt, black pants, black shoes.

Looks like we had a similiar occupation. In my case, I applied for the waiter position but was hired for the 'pushboy' aka busyboy position. :mad:

Oh....its a womenssss world nowadways... redface.gif

Aaliyyah   

when a woman works in a bar and dresses like that? what would she expect?.....

either way she was harassed and got awarded based on that.

Shes such a disgrace to muslims though..yikez!!

dnt the media just luv that :(

salaam

Som@li   

The girl could be excising her religion, and this could be a turning point, if she made a mistake of working a bar, that does give her the green light to break all her islamic values.

I heard of stories of where in Pakistan, even BIG theives, don't miss the salat.

Paragon   

^Forget others I saw 6 Somalis men/women working in a bar long long time ago. They were shocked when I was brought but the blood gushing from my headcut broke the embarrasment. I say people do alot of jobs that are unislamic but only after they've sinned do they realise that goodness is absent. Mostly they repent.

Sinner may end up knowing God more than the easily turned saint. The fool is quick to judge and feels good to be thought of being good.

Most of those who judge are likely 'good' because they see themselves as a counterpoint to the person whom society has deemed 'bad'.

The sinner gives more happiness to many than the so-called good could ever do. Because of him/her they feel happy.

Sucks, innit? smile.gif

Nehanda   

I don't thibk working in a bar is haram as long as you don't serve the drinks. You could be the cleaner or the cashier.

If working as a waitress is haram then this should be extended to working in supermaket, banks and restaurants that serve pork. As far as I know there is no such a think as a halal bank, they hold deal in the market to survive yet we are decided not to take interest. What a load of gbberish.

Khayr   

I don't thibk working in a bar is haram as long as you don't serve the drinks. You could be the cleaner or the cashier.

So would it be alright with you if faraax works at the local strip as a cleaner or busboy

? ;)