Sign in to follow this  
NGONGE

Season's Greetings

Originally posted by *Blessed:

Allah dadkan eega, do you guys even get a happy eid - let alone the day off? It's like being in high school all over again. You don't have to fit in, it's okay to be different.. no, no it's cool to be different. So NG, just smile and say, I don't do parties dahling, thats so pass'e.. :rolleyes:

Or

Just tell them truth and say 'if I party with you tonight, my wife won't let me eat grass with my friends on Eid'
:D

Anyways, you've been at your office for centuries, surely this has been dealt with before and surely, it's an established fact that you're a Muslim who doesn't do xmas...

Mise waad ka daashey?
;)

p.s
Merry Christmass

Salaama alaykum sis,

Couldn't have said it any better. Well, actually, I was too lazy to make my own reply so I sifted through all the posts and found one that wholly agreed with.

Ah, the days of High School, where one would be able to take 2 days off of school. :D

Cara.   

I must say yesterday's departmental any-excuse-for-a-party was the best one of the season. We took turns playing Guitar Hero and Karaoke Revolution for 3 hours.

You don't really know your immediate superior until he/she is yelling at you for missing a beat on Guitar Hero. Or they insist they can only play the bass guitar part, because that's what they play in real life in a band you never knew about.

And when it comes to singing, it's always the most unlikely people that have the best pitch.

STOIC   

Holiday mood is in full swing here in my lab. No I am not part of the collective insanity. Other than the Butterfingers and the Hershey milk chocolate I really don’t give a hoot about the Christmas celebration. I can feel the joy and the energy around everyone in my department. I know they are wondering how the “Moslem” is taking all the candy bars and Merry Christmas cards left on his desk . I am enjoying the chocolates and I can’t wait to devour the chicken tomorrow for the office party :D !

^ Hi Stoic!

LoL @ Cara. I know what you mean. Karaoke is such fun as I found out recently. My manager sang "Not a girl not yet a woman" by Britney Spears and I almost died of laughter.

-Lily-   

Ours was a lavish dinner & dance at a 5* hotel. This is the 1st Xmas party I've attended. I have never seen such ridicules dancing, it was pure comedy.

NGONGE   

Originally posted by *Blessed:

Allah dadkan eega, do you guys even get a happy eid - let alone the day off? It's like being in high school all over again. You don't have to fit in, it's okay to be different.. no, no it's cool to be different. So NG, just smile and say, I don't do parties dahling, thats so pass'e.. :rolleyes:

Or

Just tell them truth and say 'if I party with you tonight, my wife won't let me eat grass with my friends on Eid'

Anyways, you've been at your office for centuries, surely this has been dealt with before and surely, it's an established fact that you're a Muslim who doesn't do xmas...

Mise waad ka daashey?
;)

p.s
Merry Christmass

I am fine with the parties and they know that I wouldn't go (nobody can argue with my immortal excuse of babysitting). But they still invite me, out of simple courtesy. It is the cards that I find slightly nerve-racking really. They know I don't celebrate the damn thing but, because they're nice people and don't want me to feel left out, they go out of their way to make sure that I'm included. Endless cards keep appearing on my desk!

Now, I don't know if this is the 'nice man' in me or just that I don't like to be upstaged, however, I feel that I too must do something in reply.

This is not a case of fitting in or high school peer pressure. It is, as I said before and repeat again now, a case of diplomacy and simple courtesy.

Ps

I've ordered some Baqlawa to be left in the staff room on Eid day but I do wish they wouldn't send me any cards.

Pps

A friend of mine got to enjoy that Swedish massage. I was going to go myself but the Mrs reckons those girls performing the massage aren't really that professional (or something along these lines). :D

Blessed   

I agree in responding to courtesy with similar action but going all out and Christmassy (as the Canadians suggested), instead of just nicely explaining your reasons for not being involved is silly and can cause confusion. In fact it’s hypocritical considering that we scoff at the whole thing. Yes, we all do it!

I personally, didn't mind cards, most said 'I know you don't celebrate but Happy New Year' or they'd cross out the Xmas part and replace it with 'happy normal day' LOL.

I was lucky in working in an organisation that utilised our differences and took the opportunity to educate the youth that we worked about different cultures, festivities and ‘celebrated our diversity‘, as it were.

P.S I hope you realise that I was mostly teasing you in that response.

Pps. The Mrs. is on the money. :D

(as the Canadians suggested),

hmm, waxa ad la maagan tahay ma ogi, but is dagi eedo.

If people are going out of their way and giving tons and tons of greeting cards and gifts, its good to return the favour,an even go out of your way to give them gifts(little things), nothing wrong with that, but I guess the canadians waa dad reer magaal, who know how to show the love back to their co-workers...

Pujah   

After accidentally drinking couple of margarita’s last year, I decided to skip the whole thing this time around...I participate in nothing :D

STOIC   

^^^Lol.You reminded me of an incident that happen to me about the Margarita.Long time ago when I was young and naive I went out with an older Somali lady and her girlfreind. One of the lady ordered Margarita.I was impressed with the color of the drink.I too ordered it.Just when the waitress was about to deliver it my freind asked me if I knew what it was.I just said it looked pretty!.He thought I was possed by the demons by starting to hit the keg.The waitress realised there was confusion.I never did taste it, but it sure looked pretty! :D

Cara.   

Today I found out that it was my neighbor who has been shoveling the sidewalk outside my apartment. I should get him something for Eidkwanhanukmas. Any ideas?

Cara.   

LOL. He did look a little guilty this morning. Or maybe he was just startled because I shot out the door, tried to answer the phone and slipped on a shoe lace all the while swearing at no one in particular. I don't think I even said hi redface.gif