Deeq A.

London: Anglo-Somali or Anglo-Somaliland Society

Deeq A.   

Capture-1.png

I just want to make clear to my Somalilanders that the Anglo-Somali Society is not a Somali dominated group.
It was  founded in the  1962 by people mainly from Somaliland and the people of the UK. Currently 70% of the members of the society are either from the UK or the USA. The remaining 30% come mainly from Somaliland.

As the name cannot be changed to “Anglo-Somaliland Society “ because of the importance of the founding definitions, we have accepted to keep it that way.
The aim of the Society is defined as :

“The Anglo-Somali Society is a non profit-making international friendship society whose objective is to foster friendship and understanding between Somalis and the English-speaking world, and to develop cultural and social relations between them “

I hope this suffices queries from Somalilanders that had contacted me about the Society.
To learn more about the Society please its website: http://anglosomalisociety.org.uk/About-us.php

Medeshi

The aim of the Society is defined as :

“The Anglo-Somali Society is a non profit-making international friendship society whose objective is to foster friendship and understanding between Somalis and the English-speaking world, and to develop cultural and social relations between them “

If that is the stated objective and the objecive is people to people, than as Dahireeto said, what is the reason that it needs to be made regional.

I think the notion of going total separation is not good. The people of Somaliland will always be Ethnic Somali, regardless if region, seperate country or province. Neither of the Koreans could be less or more Korean, The Tigray in Eritrea had same politics of saying they are only Eritrean, but now they are coming back to separating citizenship of country and history, language, identity as people is different.

Even Somaliland Republic at UN or AU will still be a republic of Somali people.

i was a member of this group in the late 2000s. at that time the majority of members were from Somaliland. if people from Somalia want to establish their own group, perhaps they ought to called it the Italian-Somalia Society. 

• Like 1

Tallaabo   
On 05/02/2018 at 12:15 AM, Dahireeto said:

Really? Are people really concerned about the word "somali" not representing them?  This is going too far.

The word "Somali" and the identity it entails began to evolve into something like the word "Arab" and all that it stands for. For better or worse, the Somali people nowadays don't feel adequately represented by the "Somali" tag without some additions and descriptive extensions. 

• Haha - That was funny. You made me laugh! 1

^^these descriptive extensions are no surprise to you considering you are not a stranger to abbreviations, acronyms, suffixes and prefixes and all sorts of identity markers? 

• Like 1

Holac   
On 2/4/2018 at 2:15 PM, Dahireeto said:

Really? Are people really concerned about the word "somali" not representing them?  This is going too far.

Majority of Somalis from the North don't mind being called a Somali.

Tallaabo   
9 hours ago, Alpha Blondy said:

^^these descriptive extensions are no surprise to you considering you are not a stranger to abbreviations, acronyms, suffixes and prefixes and all sorts of identity markers? 

What are you insinuating nigger? B|

Tallaabo   

@Ducalepeople with such views do exist in Somaliland and to be fair to them the blame lies entirely on the shoulders of the Mogadishu administration. The problem is, the Koonfurian government has a very nasty habit of claiming to represent ALL SOMALIS on planet earth- the French speaking maryoolay, the xabashi maryoolay, the kikiyu maryoolay, kuwii Africaba ka tahriibay, basically everyone . Just pay attention to their language next time you listen to or read the speeches of one of them. They call their administration "the SOMALI government" even though they barely control Villa Somalia, they call their uniformed militia "the SOMALI army" even though half of the armed men have another full-time job with Xarrakatul Al-Shabaab, haddii xero adhi laga furo Xamar they shamelessly claim that this is the first time since 1991 xero adhi laga furay dhulka Soomaaliyeed although we had xeryo adhi everywhere since time immemorial. So understandably, when we have a fat @ss amateur politician from the refugee camps in the west claiming to represent every living and dead Somali who were created by the Almighty while riding on a Burundian tank for safety, some maryoolay will justifiably resort to rejecting everything those fraudsters stand for.