Sign in to follow this  
Ashkiro

Ladies: whom have traveled to Somalia/Africa

Ashkiro   

Salams,

For those of you ladies, whom have traveled to Somalia (or even to other countries in Africa for that matter), please share your experiences the good and the bad, the challenges you may have encountered, any tips, advice, warnings and so on which you will like to share. Looking forward to your responses. Thanks in advance.

^ you could probably see this one coming from a mile away .... why only the ladies ?

unless your going Faarax shopping in which case only the ladies can give you tips :D

this should be a gender nueatral Q.

Ashkiro   

LOL@ Farax shopping. There are enough of those losers here. I kid, I kid.

Gender specfic for the obvious reason, i am a woman and interested in the womens perspective. and traveling in particular to Somalia/Africa, the male and female will have different experiences.

money   

it is good to plan ahead of your trip to Somalia. So here are some of my tips:

let us start at the airport. Wink..wink to every African/Somali guy at the customs. Smile and flirt with all faaraxs specially those on QAT. Bribe them cos as you know ..money talks and that is why they are there to loot you of the loot.

battery chargers and hygiene products are abundant in the duty free shops in Boosaaso, Mogadishu, and Hargeisa ..so don't bother packing all these electric gadgets or bringing some shampoos , deodorants and toothpaste with you.

What to wear? shorts, beach apparel as bikinis and so on should be your daily costume. Show a lot of skin and don't bother sun screen or mosquito repellents...

Shots are very important before you leave and during your stay in Somalia..get vaccines for STDs and AIDS pack condoms..in case you wanna get your grooves with militia leader.

Money sidan maxay tahay ninyahow ... ma ninkaagii xuquuqda dumarka u dagaalami jiray sidaan ka danbeeyay.

sxb bal isku noqo !

money   

it was a joke! damn you guys take things so serioulsy! maybe it was a bad joke and maybe I made a bad judgement there... but still ..it meant not to be offensive! Plus I see doing these things actually liberating for the Somali chicks ..why not? why shouldn't they be ...forget it ...you won't get this joke too ..anyways i must say ..no pun intended here

I see nothing wrong wearing a bikini -- of course, as long as faaraxs wear one as well. :D Just kaftaming.

I see money was trying to be a bit sarcastic, but duqa don't mislead the poor girl, especially the suggestion about the hygiene stuff. Xamar markaa aadaaye a few years ago my boorso Dubai iiga reebeen the Jubba Airlines guys, as expected, and the bags had everything of my stuff. Wax walba ku jireen save the two t-shirts, laba jiinis and the camera I learned my lesson to never put anything essential boorsooyinka aadan gacanta ku wadan, siiba diyaaradahaas Soomaaliya aado aanan la isku haleyn karin. Instead of giving priority dadka diyaarahooda raacaayo, they put kuwa ganacsade ah waxee rarayaan Soomaaliya u wadaan. Can you friggin' believe it that same diyaarad lagu soo raray xaraashka maraakiibta lagu keeno? They overstuff it.

Originally posted by money:

it is good to plan ahead of your trip to Somalia. So here are some of my tips:

let us start at the airport. Wink..wink to every African/Somali guy at the customs. Smile and flirt with all faaraxs specially those on QAT. Bribe them cos as you know ..money talks and that is why they are there to loot you of the loot.

battery chargers and hygiene products are abundant in the duty free shops in Boosaaso, Mogadishu, and Hargeisa ..so don't bother packing all these electric gadgets or bringing some shampoos , deodorants and toothpaste with you.

What to wear? shorts, beach apparel as bikinis and so on should be your daily costume. Show a lot of skin and don't bother sun screen or mosquito repellents...

Shots are very important before you leave and during your stay in Somalia..get vaccines for STDs and AIDS pack condoms..in case you wanna get your grooves with militia leader.

looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool :D:D:D

Ms DD   

I went to somalia, I got nothing but love. Nothing for you to worry about sister. Just make sure inaad sarifto 100dollars and distribute as 50k somali shillings to all the people coming to see you. Take also any clothes you havent worn for a long time (clean and pressed of course) and distribute those. Wear the local outwear so that you dont stick out. I wore jilbaab and inshoshareer and was taking the minibuses. That you get to learn about the people.

Take tablets and pads etc.

It was delightful.

Ashkiro   

Glad to hear you had a wonderful experience Ms. DD. Inshoshareer is niqab, i reckon? So its true what they say, if i wear my jeans/t-shirt-sandles, and my hijab i will get rocks thrown at me LOL. It will not be anytime soon to visit back home but was just curious, in particular on the gender issues. Thank you for your sharing your thoughts. Thanks to the rest as well. mac salam

W/salaam@topic maker

I went to Hargeisa recently and it was wickid, didn't even want to come back..I felt like a celeb!...VIP Treatment :D

I hated the toilets over there,mosquitoes and the baranbaros...maraqayga iyay caaben!

but all in all it was the boom. smile.gif