Sign in to follow this  
Xalimopatra

Lets say....

Let's say you could change your career/educational path and do the impractical 'something' (mostly reckless and crazy that doesnt pay the bills every month!) that you dreamed of as a child, what would you be doing?

Right now I'm trying to balance both.I'm in School studying Law so that I obtain a very safe *ahem boring* job as a Lawyer upon completion in a few yrs Insha'Allah....but I'm also trying to get my fashion designing stuff done.I've wanted to design clothes since I was a young girl.It's actually not as difficult as I thought it would be trying to get it all done alhamdulilah.

If your dreams are safe or you are living them then Masha'Allah to you.

I urge you all to have a bit of both and follow your dreams (just please dont report back to me from a cardboard box in Russell Sq ya Ghanima :D )

Urban   

Alxamdulilah, I dont need to change anything. I'm studying for a subject that's been my hobby since I could pick up a pencil. The jobs pay extremely well, so drawing from 9-5, and getting paid for it.. now that would be a dream come true for me :D

My 16y/o sis wants to do fashion design as well, she has loadsa sketchbooks filled with skinny (female?) figures wearing what seems to be clothes.. makes me laugh when I look through.. it's exactly what I used to do at her age, only my sketchbooks were filled with cars. Its always good having dreams to aim for.

All the best Xalimopatra..

Kool_Kat   

OMG, Xalimo fashion was totally my thing...I took some classes while in high school (ages and ages ago)...LOVED IT...

However, poetry has always been something I enjoyed from a young age...Writing it when I could, I still have some books in my house from almost 10yrs ago...I still write it...A friend of mine always tells me I should enter poetry contests...YEA RIGHT!!!

N'way, good luck with law school...Being a lawyer is far from boring...Enjoy...

Abyan   

As a child, I used to dream about becoming....

dont laugh....

A SCUBA DIVER !!

scuba.jpg

aaah^^ beautiful

I´m now working at a laboratory so, it´s not even close to my dream

Chimera   

^When i was 4/5 years old i wanted to become Donatello only sometime later a kid from across the street broke my heart with this devastating news: you don't end up looking like that if you eat all your qudaar lolol you gotta love them Hooyos

BOB   

Originally posted by Xalimopatra:

Let's say you could change your career path that you dreamed of as a child, what would you be doing?

When I was a teenager I was convinced that I would become a professional footballer and I honestly believe I was more than capable of doing that only if i had been little bit more brave. :(

Salam Aleikum W.W

Peace, Love & Unity.

Hi XP,

Clothes designer, ey? That's very creative.

Actually, I'm kinda considering a career change at the moment, only problem is am not sure which direction I should head in. Imagine that...having a career crisis before 30. Maybe it's that pesky biological clock ppl keep referring to?

As for my childhood dreams, they were pretty staid. I just always imagined myself in a suit, in a shiny office...and nothing else. Not very helpful in terms of direction. And pretty sad, considering I only ever wear suits to interviews.

PS: XP, I think I saw you at the last SOAS - Prof Samatar talk. Were you there, or am I mistaken?

N.O.R.F   

Alxamdullilah I'm fine where I am and tend to enjoy work (at least my current project). Also trying to get something going on the side (same discipline). A part-time football coaching role is on the agenda aswell (if I can finally make that phone call). Charity work is also something I would enjoy doing full time.

Intel, the great outdoors indeed (typical Aussie :D )

Bob, do the next best thing and be a coach.

Hey all,

Thanks Urban, I appreciate it.

Bisad Qabow aka KK :D I think you so should apply for competitions.Even go for trying to get a collection published!Insha'Allah khayr sistergirl.

Intel&Sulekha I think you guys should collaborate and open a resort.

Bob you could always train young kids.I think you and Northerner should join forces also.

Val, hey sis.Career change eh?What sector are you working in at the moment?Yes I was at both of his events at SOAS.How do you know what I look like?and if you do know what I look like why didnt you kick me say hello? :D

Pucca   

As a kid i always wanted to be a lawyer and not just any lawyer i wanted to be a big shot criminal lawyer. *sigh* yea that was a long time ago though...what im doing now is far from that.

But i'm happy with what im studying now so thats cool.

As for on the side things, i'd love to write professionally. Havent really done anything but i've thought of taking a weekend class to sorta help out.

Ismahaan   

I had so many dreams growing up I hardly remember what they all are. At various points, I did want to be a scientist, be a lawyer, be a novelist etc. Alxamdullilah truly I am happy with my career at the moment. smile.gif

Ibtisam   

just please dont report back to me from a cardboard box in Russell Sq ya Ghanima

HAHA that cracked me up! How did you know, I spent the whole weekend having this same little debate in my head. Right now I'm at a junction, so many choices, and just one of me! I am drawn towards that cardboard box for the moment though. :D

P.s. Xalimop: I'm still waiting to model those clothes for you (well just the shoes and bags really) :D As I told you before, follow your dream and got those designs out. Is the website ready yet??

Ghanima Soon my dear Insha'Allah, soon.

What choices are you debating?

Pucca *hug* go for it!

Ismahaan what are you doing now if you dont mind me asking?

Thierry.   

Xalimo do not believe what these folks say stay safe and stick to law or pick Accounting, life might be boring as hell but at least you know where your income is coming from. But if you insist then I wish you all the best but don’t say I didn’t warn you.

To be honest you can do many jobs, life shouldn’t be restricted to just one field, I have ambitions of being a historian/archaeologist, economist, politician and an entrepreneur, step by step I intend to fill all those roles.

Of course it all depends on when Arsene Wenger gives me the call to be the captain at Arsenal. :cool: