Sign in to follow this  
Modesty

Somali Women are Oppressed

Modesty   

I've made lots of observations, and I have concluded that most Somali men are oppressive to women. They basically view women as second class citizens. Not only in Somalia, but also in the west.Alot of these views that men have about somali women is basically what they say is from the religion, yet most of them don't even know alot about the deen. For example, men are served first in everything, from food to getting other things done. Men are held in a pedestal and women are treated like they are insignificant. For example, why is it somali restaurants, they allow men to sit in the well lit areas, the cleaner areas with the t.v., yet women have to sit in a hole that's unhygenic, and bore lighting (yes, I have experienced this, and I was hungry so I ate there anyways redface.gif ). Men can do what they want, no one criticizes them, and when I usually say "no one" I mean the women, yes the women are the ones who are propagating this oppression on themselves by allowing this to happen to them.Females are treated like crap basically, and they think this treatment is okay, they actually believe they are "free", and criticize western women and how they are oppressed, even though I do believe they aren't very free, I also believe they have more freedoms then somali women. The clothes of the women is more probed, it's sometimes annoying, do I have to drag 50 feet of cloth to be considered a chaste woman? Ridiculous is all I have to say. In my opinion, the majority of Somali women are oppressed, and they are allowing this to happen to themselves.

Naden   

Originally posted by Modesty:

For example, why is it somali restaurants, they allow men to sit in the well lit areas, the cleaner areas with the t.v., yet women have to sit in a hole that's unhygenic, and bore lighting (yes, I have experienced this, and I was hungry so I ate there anyways
redface.gif
)

Modesty, you should have either demanded better seating area or not given them your hard earned money. Where is the motivation to improve if women don't complain and continue paying for crappy service? Somalis, like other nomads, can be harsh, ignorant, misgynistic, and severly lacking in manners and decorum. This includes the women.

Unless we speak up and demand better (and act better ourselves), nothing will change. I was walking by a group of older Somali men in a shopping area and noticed how they were pointing and laughing at a couple of Somali women with certain..*ahem*..physical endowments. I marched up to them and told them very quietly to mind their akhlaaq and respect their bloody age and useless grey hairs :mad: .

Rahima   

Girls, let's get real; Somali women are arguably the main instigators of their own oppression. Three examples, the foremost proponents of FGM are women; in cases of domestic violence our women always seem to advise one another to return to the worthless husband because it is "ceeb" to leave; and finally we believe in serving the men first and we the leftovers.

Yep, it’s us, others will treat you the way you let them and teach them to.

I've made lots of observations, and I have concluded that most Somali men are oppressive to women. They basically view women as second class citizens. Not only in Somalia, but also in the west.

do u mean all men....or what are your rants about..I am the opposite of what you wrote in those paragraphs and mind you...

Never talk for somali men again.. smile.gifsmile.gif You have JUST started knowing Somali men...you think we are 70 years back..

Wiilo   

Modesty, i don't know where you live, but i have never seen somali men oppressing somali women, and if you know anything about Islam religion, women have rights, i don't know if you are one of those somali girls who happened to be living in the "West" and trying to be "Westernized" but girl let me telling something, read the Quran, simple.

Difine oppression first, if someone opens up a restruante and it happened to be unclean that is something that Department of Health needs to deal with. However, all the "Examples" you used has nothing to do with oppression.

Let me ask you two question, where were you born in? did you graw up is Somalia?

If your answers is yes to these two questions, then we can talk about oppression, and what oppression is.

Go figure:......

STOIC   

I doubt if we live in an era where women have no recourse, but to follow men orders. Women today have the power to filter through the social and cultural ceiling. Somali women are no exception. You should stand up for the values of pluralism and equalities whenever you happen to experience one of those setbacks you mentioned. By Golly, you might as well have stormed out of that restaurant when they shuffled you to a dim lighted corner. I have never ever allowed someone to choose a sitting setting for my female company. I always sit with her anywhere we decided to occupy. Yes I have seen restaurants with separate settings, but I have never seen a sitting regulations stacked on the walls of the restaurant. You can’t be enraged without being engaged sister. Start the revolution next time you are looking for the bariiska qaraxaa ah! Damn I am oppressed by the Somali woman ;) .

most Somali men are oppressive to women.

I totally agree but to be honest I don’t blame the men as I use to!!! partly becoz We woman allow this treatment to continue!!!

However, do not despair... one of the good out comes of the civil war is the chance for young people to be expose to different types of educations and cultures . And im glad to say that the new generation of females now a days know how to stand up 4 their rights with rational mind

Baluug   

I don't think all Somali women are oppressed.....my ex-wife was telling me a story one time about a woman who found out her husband was cheating, so she poured hot Xalwo on his privates when he was sleeping!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: Doesn't sound like she was very oppressed!!!! If that story is true.....

It's a veritable truth that SOmali women are oppressed. If you think otherwise, it's prolly due to you burrying your head under than sand blissfully oblivious to reality. Ask me! I did a social experiment a while back in Somalia, on this very same subject: plight of Somali women.

I carried out my experiment incognito inspired by the antics of the King in that arabian nights tale... disguising myself as your typical xalimo. Donning local somali female attire, topping it all by swathing myself with large, drab sheet.

Among most startling discoveries include the following. Somali men at earshot distance gave me bemused stares at best, askance looks at worst. Nary one would even speak to me. Somali women in contrast, didn't fair any better either. For starters, most would scamper off in what seemed to be in fright the moment I approached them. In one instance, I feigned suffering from extreme thirst and begged somali women in a shop for a glass of water. She ran out of her shop with all it's valueable possessions screaming: alla hogayeey, wuxu muxu yahay and such other unintelligible utterings.

All in all, as evinced by my scientifically sound experimental findings, somali women are oppressed from all corners of society. Their pathos touched and changed this author in many ways... their lamentable plight forever etched on my mind.

Modesty   

Wiilo just because ISlam says women have rights, doesn't mean it's applied by people. I'm sorry, but you must have blinders on.

Modesty   

And, no not all somali women are oppressed, but let's say the majority.I hope this chances, and we apply real Islam.

Originally posted by Wiilo:

Modesty, i don't know where you live, but i have never seen somali men oppressing somali women, and if you know anything about Islam religion, women have rights, i don't know if you are one of those somali girls who happened to be living in the "West" and trying to be "Westernized" but girl let me telling something, read the Quran, simple.

Difine oppression first, if someone opens up a restruante and it happened to be unclean that is something that Department of Health needs to deal with. However, all the "Examples" you used has nothing to do with oppression.

Let me ask you two question, where were you born in? did you graw up is Somalia?

If your answers is yes to these two questions, then we can talk about oppression, and what oppression is.

Go figure:......

Wiilo Do you ever think before you talk? And most importantly what do you drink? Try and answer these 2 questions for me. I'm very curious.

Wiilo   

Didi Kong: Waa ka xumahay sxiib dadka dadka aflagaadeeyo lama hadlo.

Modesty walaashiid, aniga indhahayga ma xirno, runtana markii laga hadlo, wax layiraahdo oppresstion lagu haayo dumarka soomaaliyeed ma jiraan, adiga haddii aad u taqaan oppression sida aad u sheegtay, that is something else, balse waxaa la dhihikaraa waa jaahilnimo heysata qaar inaga mid ah.

Go figure:..........

OBSERVATION NO.1

I've made lots of observations, and I have concluded that most Somali men are oppressive to women. They basically view women as second class citizens. Not only in Somalia, but also in the west.Alot of these views that men have about somali women is basically what they say is from the religion, yet most of them don't even know alot about the deen.

ADVICE 1: First of all, all praise to Allah s.w.The issue raised by Sis Modesty has a great impact on this forums and will NEVER be sidelined.Nevertheless, Modesty, on your part, please also STOP generalizing all somalis as same.Many somalis of our time, that is the 21st Century, especially, Men/women are modern in their faith (Imaan) and put great emphasis on their religion, the true faith that exist and continues to exist.

Please Click here: Read the status of Women In Islam first before writing thread against Somalis(men/women) who are 99.9% Muslims

OBSERVATION NO.2

For example, men are served first in everything, from food to getting other things done. Men are held in a pedestal and women are treated like they are insignificant. For example, why is it somali restaurants, they allow men to sit in the well lit areas, the cleaner areas with the t.v., yet women have to sit in a hole that's unhygenic, and bore lighting (yes, I have experienced this, and I was hungry so I ate there anyways redface.gif ).

ADVICE 2.: Because of you talked of something simple, Please also talk about the way Muslim women, Somalis included are given priviledges when it comes to transport systems..which is also simple.They are allocated the best seats near the driver in a bus, when they want to alight from the bus, they use the front door while us, men, are squeezed in the back of the bus,..I remeber sitting on women reserved seat and standing later for the women who come afterwards.

Many Somali ladies I have seen are treated like queens by their partners, unless you are talking about your own experience, which is by far, a personal problem..assume that, they are treating you bad..you can't say that for all my sisters, my lady relatives and my Mum..

OBSERVATION NO.3

Men can do what they want, no one criticizes them, and when I usually say "no one" I mean the women, yes the women are the ones who are propagating this oppression on themselves by allowing this to happen to them.Females are treated like crap basically, and they think this treatment is okay, they actually believe they are "free", and criticize western women and how they are oppressed, even though I do believe they aren't very free, I also believe they have more freedoms then somali women.

ADVICE 3..: That is NEVER the truth.In Islam, you believe like I do, that, God Allah s.w will judge everyone according to his deeds.When Somalis criticize, (I have a personal problem with some few somali men), Islam advises us to correct what we muslims deem wrong and keep advising each other...It is written in one Ayah of the Holy Quraan that "

Please click here to read this Statement: You are the best of the nations raised up for (the benefit of) men, you enjoin what is right and forbid the wrong and believe in Allah.

but that doesn't mean, we criticize to the point of making someone feel hurt..No..We need to give advise to our fallen(Lapsed) muslims like Ayaan Hirsi, who will digest and find their mistakes from what we quote from the quraan

If you Click here, You will be Shown: How women are treated very badly in Other religions and Ayaan Hirsi Lied about Islam

A famous saying of The Prophet is "It is the generous (in character) who is good to women, and it is the wicked who insults them."

OBSERVATION NO.4

The clothes of the women is more probed, it's sometimes annoying, do I have to drag 50 feet of cloth to be considered a chaste woman?

ADVICE 4.: Muslim women, Somali women included are supposed to be modest like their Men...While Somalis have the attitude of irritating some few somali women who wear semi-nude...or "awkwardly" to be precise, It is advisable to atleast wear modest based on the limits set by your God...don't worry about What Somalis say.....Just have faith in your God, Allah s.w and follow your religion properly.

Click here: This Somali lady will explain more:One somali Hijaabeeeeeee

OBSERVATION NO.5

Ridiculous is all I have to say. In my opinion, the majority of Somali women are oppressed, and they are allowing this to happen to themselves.

ADVICE 5.: Please have some seriousness when talking about generalization...when talking about our old somali culture...or our Religion Islam...Never talk about many people..Men here are also advised to know that our Prophet S.a.w used to say "...

Prophet Muhammad. (P) said:

The best of you is the best to his family and I am the best among you to my family.

The most perfect believers are the best in conduct and best of you are those who are best to their wives. (Ibn-Hanbal, No. 7396)

Behold, many women came to Muhammad's wives complaining against their husbands (because they beat them) - - those (husbands) are not the best of you. he told his Sahabas

If Somalis are not following Islam..Then that is a different Case altogether..