Sign in to follow this  
Che -Guevara

Dubai’s P&O Ports wins 30-year concession in Somalia’s Puntland

Holac   

As some of you already said, if Somalis can't build, can't govern and can't go forward, let the foreigners take a shot at this.

Good point Holac

Yoniz, marka hOre saaxb, REER baadiyaha Gadh Caska ah, oo Xalaal cunka ah, ayaa dhaama ninka wax bartey, oo nahaabka ah, wadana wax ka geline, Dantiisa iyo Lacag u muuqato.

Arinkan, runtii States, waa soo xodxoddankaraan heshiisyo, iyo FDI, at the end of the day, it is the decision f the Federal governnment, to approve or reject.

Wax walba na sharci bay ku socdaan, Sharciyadii oo weli diyaar ahayn, GOBOLADII oo sidii dawlad madax banaan u dhaqmi, ani uma BOGIN Goboladan dhinac ordaaya dawlada dhexe, Hadeey wax rabaan in ay ka dhameeystaan dawlada dhexe, share holders weeye, in sharciga la raaco weeye.

Laakin States can not act like they can grant rights to any foreign company , some of them could be national security risk.

As this deal , as I say, it is welcome, but we have to vigilant, with no labour laws in place, Sida ka dhacdey Berbera, 80% of workers fired in the first week, many replaced with Indians, and Philippines, Adeer Hunguri awgiis, in muwaadinka SOMALI ga ahi, wadankiisii uu marti ku noqto, waa danbi.

Wax walba oo SOMALI u hurumar ah waa welcome, as long as it is the interest of the people, and not few thugs.

YoniZ   

said:

Good point Holac

Yoniz,
marka hOre saaxb, REER baadiyaha Gadh Caska ah, oo Xalaal cunka ah, ayaa dhaama ninka wax bartey, oo nahaabka ah, wadana wax ka geline, Dantiisa iyo Lacag u muuqato.

Arinkan, runtii States, waa soo xodxoddankaraan heshiisyo, iyo FDI, at the end of the day, it is the decision f the Federal governnment, to approve or reject.

Wax walba na sharci bay ku socdaan, Sharciyadii oo weli diyaar ahayn, GOBOLADII oo sidii dawlad madax banaan u dhaqmi, ani uma BOGIN Goboladan dhinac ordaaya dawlada dhexe, Hadeey wax rabaan in ay ka dhameeystaan dawlada dhexe, share holders weeye, in sharciga la raaco weeye.

Laakin States can not act like they can grant rights to any foreign company , some of them could be national security risk.

As this deal , as I say, it is welcome, but we have to vigilant, with no labour laws in place, Sida ka dhacdey Berbera, 80% of workers fired in the first week, many replaced with Indians, and Philippines, Adeer Hunguri awgiis, in muwaadinka SOMALI ga ahi, wadankiisii uu marti ku noqto, waa danbi.

Wax walba oo SOMALI u hurumar ah waa welcome, as long as it is the interest of the people, and not few thugs.

Maakhiri,

Saxib waxa aad baartaa taariikhda dhismaha wadada Garowe-Bosaso iyo dakada hadda jirta ee Bosaso.

Lacagtii loogu talo galay mashruuca waxa lageliyey 1/3 keliya. Intii kalena waxa dhacay Talyani iyo Maryooley magac dowlad dhexe huwan.

Hadii aad waydiisid dadka isticmaalayey labadaas halbowle dhowr iyo labaatanka sano, wax macno ah uma sameynayso 2/3 in ladhacay. Waxa macno u sameeyey waa in uu noqday mashruucaas, mid laga dhaxlay halbowlayaal badbaadiyey nolosha iyo soo kabashada dadkii ay kudhacday musiibadii umulo gowraca.

Halka aan rabay inaan wax kaa tuso waa halkaas. Kaabayaasha dhaqaalaha cidna si sahlan cidkale uguma dhisto. Hadii ay dhisamaan Waxa dhaxalkeda marwalba helaya cida degan meesha laga hirgeliyey kaabayaashaas.

Caqli toosan maaha in dhulka aan ladhisan, cidii dhisi laheydna buuq iyo weerar lagu qaadno. Ogowna meesha wax laga fulinayo waa Africa, ookiyaale qof jooga Yurub iyo Waqooyiga Amerika kuma fiican in lagu eego.

Raggan hadda heshiiska saxiixay waa kuwa hore u saxiixay/fuliyey mashaariic kale sida garoomada Bosaso, Garowe, Maakhir University. Cadaalad maaha in aan lagu aaminin mashaariicdaas hore, ayna kasoo baxeen, kuwa hadda soo socdana layiraahdo laguma aamini karo.

Anigu waxaan aaminsanahay in isla xisaabtanka ay ka sahlantahay marka uu joogo heer maamul goboleed, marka loo bar bar dhigo heel federaal.

Peace Action, I agree. Hopefully it will be implemented as advertised.

The Emirates are supposedly gunning for Kismayo too, in other words the entire Somali coast.

galbeedi   

I did agree with Tallaabo, because at this stage the empty threat of Farmaajo will not change the base agreement.

Yoniz,

let us separate the issue. One is state sovereignty and pride of the country, the other federalism and devaluation of power and governance.

I agree that we " Maryooley" have never built any thing even when we were a functioning state. All the great landmarks of the country whether it is the Mogadishu stadium, national theater or the main high, were built by foreign countries. we never built any thing. I also agree with you that without the Bosaaso port and the high way connecting the port to Garoowe or Gaalkacayo, the puntland people could not have survived the last 25 years when the Somali state was non existent . Development is always welcome.

For once in our life time we should see someone building something.

That was the main reason I welcomed the early Berbera port agreement. Then, the whole process was hijacked and it transformed to a foreign base. I do believe that the Boosaaso port deal might follow the same pattern and mushroom in to another base. I suspect that soon they might anounce the new base in Boosaaso which is much closer to the both the Indian Ocean and Red Sea. As we speak, the Kismaayo port will follow soon as soon as the Kenyan government gives permission to go ahead.

Now, if you are serious , you would be asking real questions. Why are they rushing?, Why grab all the three main ports at this moment?. If they build our ports and the world comes to us, how about their ports?. Also, I do not appreciate the deception of the new president. He already filled the government with some of the closest members of Hassan Sheikh( both the new intelligence chief and governor of Mogadishu are Damujadiid card carrying members) , so he probably agrees with both the base and Boosaaso deal, and finish what Culusow started.

The latest news is that he accepted the base in exchange with cash. I never believed that the Somali state problems were all about the lack of money. There were always millions flooding in Mogadishu, but it all goes in the wrong pockets. I thought that since they were willing to help the Resurrection of the Somali state, these rich gulfs might not hurt our little pride that was left to Somalis. Nothing is more damaging than bringing a foreign base without even asking permission.

Well, I could be wrong, since no one invited the Kenyans when they took over Junbba, these Arabs are probably following the foot steps of others. Ah, the false pride. Why don't they tell us that " waar waxba gacmaha idinkuguma Jiraane buuqa joojiya. WAxaan diidaya beenta ay noo sheegayaan ee ay leeyihiin madaxweyne ayaad leediihiin oo waad madax banaan tihiin.

Now, brother Yoniz, are you sure you read the Somali federal constitution? I hope so, since you stated, but if the so called federalism remains the way it is practiced today, the regional governments will loose a lot both in terms of revenue or responsibilities. They are doing almost every thing and their burden is huge. It is looking more like a big fish with small pond. Hargeisa has 69 inisters and Puntland has 40. The small revenues from these economies could only cover these fat cats. How about health care, education or policing.

Even in continental Canada were provinces have a veto power in any amendments to change the rules, the federal government have a final say in any trade or purchasing of national assets by foreign entities. If China want to buy a Canadian company with big assets, only the federal government can allow to proceed. Many offers from foreign owned companies are rejects when the concerned workers would risk losing jobs or for the national interest, so please refrain from comparing these backwater enclaves to the established federal systems.

Even Hargeisa with 25 years of self governance does not have basic labor or investment laws. Yet, despite all these rules that discourage this Gulf take over of our ports, I welcome any economic acclivities that alleviate poverty and an employment.

Further more, C/weli gaas will cash i just like Siilaanyo crooks and form his own political party in Puntland which will buy everyone with that dirty money.

Finally, I hope all our concern was just caution, and these gulf boys will eventually implement what they promised. Personally, I would never reject development.

Galbeedi , you nailed it bro, 100% agree with you. As for money, any delegation, gets BOORSO first, and UAE just announced, 500 million Dirhams donation to SOMALIA

THe phrase comes to mind "can't see the forest for the trees", cid cid xasdeeysa ma jiraan, Haduu Federalku daldaloolo leeyahay, as share holder , work towards and fix it, with strong laws, and strong government , we can only prosper. if you see the federal government as problem, you can't see the picture,and you can't have the cake and eat it, say I am member of a federal state, and not follow the rules.

Laakin ismindiyeey, is dhinac orod, U arag masiibo dawlada dhexe, kalsooni daro, Waxxaas oo dhan waa wax ka harey dagaalkii sokeeye, iyo is aamin la'aan.

As said before, no single state government can proceed in any major project in federal country, without permission from Federal government.

My biggest worry and concern for the UAE recent eagerness, and jumping on board is, CHINA, it is not they want more ports, it is that they want to protect their ports, and CISHIIMO, To control this regions, It is a game of chess. But time will tell.

galbeedi   

You right brother.

Dalku waa in meel laga soo galo uu leeyahay.

My biggest victory will be a Somali state that protects it's citizens and respected around the region. Only then we shall feel pride in our towns and regions.

Just observe about the current drought. The federal government gave $150,000 to every regional government. That is small peanuts. Since the regions are serving the people effected by the drought in Puntland, South West and Galmudug, they should be given almost all the funds. They are feeding and moving people to feeding zones, so why the federal government withholding the money? brothers that will be the legacy of this system. Regions lifting all the weight without any fund coming from the Mogadishu government.

First establish the state and then debate the internal issues as brothers and sisters.

Here we have three Somali governments each one of the negotiating for cash. Each one of them has certain agenda for his portion of the money.

Kuwa HArgeisa mar hore ayey qeybsadeen lacagtii. Puntlandna waa ku xigtaa. Nin oday ah oo xog ogaal ah ayaa igu yidhi shalay, " Farmaajo waxa la sugayaa marka uu lacagta soo qaado, dagaalku markaas ayuu bilaabanayaa.

Three presidents in Dubai to cash.

The Chinese are moving in Puntland. As it is now, they will be building Galkacyo Airport, and Garowe-Ely Road in exchange for oil exploration leases. I must admit they did a good job of building Bosaso Airport. Hopefully, if these projects materialize, the Chinese will do the same quality work.

It looks like Garowe Airport is not going anywhere. It is Turkish Company.

The regional government are being and will be used to undermine the Federal Government but I think at this stage, the problem is coming from the Federal Government.

The Constitution should have been finished, revenue sharing laws, labor laws and investment laws should have been on the books.

YoniZ   

Galbeedi,

Since you have mentioned the federal government to have the power to veto these kind of deals. I see you realise these concessions are negotiated and given in state level. The only time when federal authority comes in the frame is, if there is credible national security issue and they veto the deal.

As far as we know, the federal government agreed to those port concessions.

In one of your earlier forums, you have documented the Russia base ambitions at Berbera. Do you think, that have gone unnoticed. The issue here is much more bigger than what it seems from the outside, and the players are heavier in weight.

Putting aside the military base issue. There is nothing wrong in investing $440 and $336 in Berbera and Bosaso respectively.

If Maryooley leaders have the skills to play the chess and, bring long term benefits from these deals for there ppl . We should will give them credit and encourage them to pull victory out of these deals. Rather than criticising in every move, if Maryooley intellectuals sitting at the comfort of their western hideouts, put their sophisticated thinking in backing and advising these leaders, common ppl would have benefited.

We all know, how former leaders had badly burned ppl of this country in choosing wrong alliances. They preferred stagnation rather than giving business concessions.

The situation at the federal level is, as you put in bold Soomaali language quotes, Ragan filada fadhiya waxba gacan uguma jiro, runta in ay isu sheegaan oo ay isku wadaan gobalada oo dhan ayaa xal u ah.

I would rather have a Pragmatic leader, than a Benevolent dictator :)

galbeedi   

Yoniz, when the Hargeisa boys tease me they say, " Galbeedi ubaxii kacaanka ayuu ahaan jiray". It is not true. But as you stated some what I have certain tendencies of authoritarian threat . It does not mean that I would condone oppression or tyrannic, but I dislike incompetence and corruption. " Reer koonfurku sodon sano u xidhnaan mayno.

last year during the election, I was talking with a local proff. who is very familiar with political issues of the country. In fact, he visited Somalia during the summer. When I complained about the slow pace of state building including the formation of the regional states, he said, " the era of strong leadership is over, and the new Somali democracy and power sharing, negotiations and slow moving process will be the norm."

I interjected and said that if we keep flowing these slow moving road maps and the constant supervision of the state by others, this may take 30 years to establish a viable Somali state. To my surprise, he was not bothered by the time frame or the constant quarreling of the leaders. Waxa uu yidhi , In sidaas wax la iskugu kakabo mooyaane si kale male, waa in marba gobol la soo dhisaa, nabadu tartiib u fidaa, dawlada dhexena marba tallabo yar qaadaa. Taageerda dhaqaaluhuna ay aduunka sidaas uga timaado inta ay cashuur ururin iyo nidaam la imaanayaan.

I asked him, how much was the revenue of the sate last year?, and he said about $250 million. I said, " that is a lot of many for a government operating in one single city without providing health care , education or national security". Waxa uu yidhi Jaamacada aan joogo ayaa tobaon jeer ka lacag badan qaranka . Sheekadu waxa weeye, We will retire here before a real change comes.

Two years ago a delegation from Amisom were looking inputs from the diaspora about their future plans in Somalia. They were proposing to lead Somalia to a democratic process until 2025. WE all rejected that idea. How can Ugandha , Ethiopia and Djibouti which are all undemocratic despots could lead democracy in Somalia.

When you hear these plans and the dysfunction of the federal system, local people need to develop their economies.

Finally , as you did mention, Carabta intii aynu dhibanayn labaatankii sano inooma iman, haddana waxa laga yaabaa dadkii taladu ka go'aysay ayaa soo diray oo yidhi, " waar kuwaan bal utaga oo waxoogaa dheemaala u tuura inta Ruush iyo kuwa kale meesha inaan.

since the world is coming to us, why not coordinate your plans. Djibouti is earning $70 million a year for ten year of base lease from Americans. That is almost a billion for ten years. We could do better than this.

YoniZ   

Galbeedi,

I dont think you are Kacaanist. That title is held proudly by someone else at this forum :)

In the past few years,I became more of a

realist than an idealist. One reason is that, I am closer to my ppl and, spend a lot of time travelling through the country mostly by road.

The closer you examine ppl's mood and attitude, the more you realise that the days of a unitary sytem is forever gone.

Let us build the country brick by brick and start from the local level. It will ofcourse take a lot of time to build sustainable governance. However, it will also take longer time to destroy that kind of system in the future.

gooni   

Qiimaha iyo qarashka ugu badan haddii lagu bixiyo in dadka iyo masuuliyiintaba la fahamsiiyo qaabka federaalku u shaqeeyo iyo sida gobolada iyo dawladda dhexe shaqadoodu u qaybsanto, ugu yaraan waxbaa dhaqaaqi lahaa aragtidayda

balse ergey yurub ka yimid oo lix madaxweyne midba gaarkiisa ula shiraya kuna dhiiri gelinaya maslaxda reerkooda inaysan cid kale u hoos fariisan,waa qaybiyoo xukun

puntland somaliya waa ka go'nay weligood ma oran, taa badelkeeda waxay ku doodaan inay yihiin hooyadii nuujisay federaalka,dhaqanka maamulkooduna mid federaal xoojin kara ma'ahan.

Waa ciyaarta lug baan kula jiraa haday xumaato iyo haday hagaagtaba lugta kale iiguma jirto.

Galbeedi kacaankii barakaysnaa mar kale heli mayno reer waqooyi dawlad buu ahaa abaaraha la daad gureeyo jaadka laga kontoroolo,qofkii gaari jiiro dawladaa bixin jirtay magtiisa iminkana jifadaa loo geed fariistaa

kelyihii carruurta waa beec qofkii qsraabo salaan aada waa labo sanoo xariga xaduudkii dhanka gobolada kale xiga yaa loo soo warejiyay

ciddii kacaaniiste kuugu abtirisa way ku amaantay waana xaqiiq xoor caano noqon weyday awoowe gacaliye.