Sign in to follow this  
Che -Guevara

PDRC Reports: Decentralization and Security in Puntland

The video was removed by the owner or Horseednet to be exact. It is a report done by Puntland Development Research Center in regards to security in Puntland. Let's just say the security sector is practically non-existent.

Puntland exists thanks to its people and no thanks to the authorities. I am hoping PDRC will post the video.

p.s. I replaced the video with another one about decentralization.

YoniZ   

I see many positive aspects in that clip. Self confidence and self criticism is the way forward to achieve decentralization of governance.

Che,that is absolutly true. There is really no police in Puntland outside the major cities. The only reason why our regions are peacefull is because of our strong cultural identity. Ofcourse this cannot last long because we are facing non-traditional security challenges like Alshabab who cannot be dealt with through a shir of odoyaasha beelaha. We need a real police force that patrols even the miyi.

galbeedi   

Regardless of their weaknesses, they are willing to discuss and improve the situation. In most Somali regions , they do not talk about how to fix or highlight their shortcomings. Good for them.

Yoniz. It is surprisingly hopeful.

TGS..Abdiweli can perhaps take advantage of upcoming reconciliation conference to create confidence and connect the citizens to the Government. More importantly, he needs to keep his promises of reforming the security and justice sectors in order to deal with Alshabab, tribal conflicts, daily individual crimes and possible developments like Daacish.

Galbeedi. The security report is bluntly more honest. I wonder if it was done with Abdiweli's approval.

Odey   

I visited PDRC offices recently in my last visit to Garowe and was able to meet a couple of the directors and inquire on their research. They are really serious about their independence and will criticise where needed. I am also of the opinion that such criticisms( though these are constructive criticisms), need to be aired for the betterment of society. There will always be a shortfall somewhere within the governance system and it is therefore important people discuss this in a calm and rational manner. The difference between PDRC and the usual websites is that theirs is research based and therefore commands more respect in the population at large.

From what I understand, the government has little influence on their research hence my respect for it. On the flip side, it says a lot for the Abdiweli admin in their self confidence to have such criticism thrown at them from an institution that they regularly use for their conferences etc and still do nothing about it. The usual response in Somali terms is to close down such an institution or arrest people, at best to twist arms, so Kudos to him.

Decentralization is pointless unless the folks at the grassroots are willing to take their fates into their own hands.

After having watched the documentary shown above, it seems to me that too many people at the local level still expect others to come in and provide for them essential services, which with hardwork and initiative, they can provide for themselves.

Local governance is much more than simply levying taxes and receiving in return the unnecessary defiance of the locals who for the most part have never paid taxes and cannot fathom the benefits of paying taxes to the community as a whole.

But in any case, I am grateful that Abdiwali's administration had the cajones to direct us towards local governance. It will take time and a lot of headaches, but eventually every Puntlander will have no choice but to take full control and responsibility for the local affairs of his or her community.

galbeedi   

If anyone want to learn or hear a Somali language without the mix of English or foreign language, just listen the girl narrating the video. She is using huge Somali political vocabulary.

YoniZ   

It seems the correction facilities are well ahead of the police and courts.

That might seem putting the cart before the horse.

Mooge   

niyoow puntland is the most civilized region in somalia. we like to self-audit, self criticize, self monitor and it is all done with the intention of trying to make things better.

guul iyo gobanimo puntland.