Sign in to follow this  
Tallaabo

Child Marriage in Islam

Tallaabo   

<cite>
said:</cite>

As I said before, if the young woman is physically mature, mentally mature, and consents to a marriage with another person, as long as she's not harmed by this marriage, and she's fully capable of handling the responsibilities of marriage and she's mature enough, then yeah I see nothing wrong with it.

And neither should you. And you have no moral justification for saying otherwise. The age of marriage in Mexico is like 13. And it varies from culture to culture. But I'd much prefer that the young woman marries a man close to her own age, with a small age gap. But if she wants to marry a man twice or thrice her own age, then that's up to her. Who are you to say she can't do it? The legal age here in America is 18, but if this 18 year old woman decides to marry a 60 year old man, who are you to complain about it? And would you complain the same way, if it was an 18 year old young man marrying a 70 year old woman? You're full of emotion and lack rationality.

You're very dishonest here, as the way you phrased the question was more trolling and playing into the hands of the atheists on this thread such as Xabad.

Why are you blaming me for starting a worthy discussion Mr Kenney? Why is discussing marriage any different to discussing hajj, jihad, or ramadan? Are you embarrassed about what is in fact a long established Islamic custom, something practised by our own beloved prophet (scw) and his companions? Indeed I believe the Somalis religious fanatics who are obsessed with emulating Arab culture should instead practise child marriage which is part and parcel of our religion. In my opinion Somalis are missing an important Islamic tradition.

<cite>

Why are you blaming me for starting a worthy discussion Mr Kenney? Why is discussing marriage any different to discussing hajj, jihad, or ramadan? Are you embarrassed about what is in fact a long established Islamic custom, something practised by our own beloved prophet (scw) and his companions? Indeed I believe the Somalis religious fanatics who are obsessed with emulating Arab culture
should instead practise child marriage which is part and parcel of our religion. In my opinion Somalis are missing an important Islamic tradition

First you promote gay marriage in Islam, and now you claim that child marriage is "part and parcel of our religion", ignoring the numerous evidences that in Islam, marriage begins only after puberty, and only if the person is physically and mentally capable.

Warya, I have no desire in continuing this discussion with you. Any questions you might have, you can direct to at the appropriate forums.

And I already said to you before, that in Islam, a female/male can be betrothed or engaged to be married to someone at any age, but the consummation of the marriage can only occur after the female/male reaches puberty, and he/she becomes physically and mentally capable of handling the marriage itself. There's no minimum age of engagement/betrothal in Islam. There's a certain wisdom behind this, because different cultures in different countries in different times have different ages of puberty, and have different ages of marriage. So in Delaware (United States) in 1900, the age of marriage was like 10 years old. Today in Mexico, it's like 13. In the Byzantine Roman Empire, the minimum age of marriage was like 8 years old. The Virgin Mary was like 11 when she gave birth to Jesus. Today, in America the age of marriage is in your late teens. But I personally think in Somalia, an appropriate minimum age of marriage today would be like 13 or 14 for young men and young women. Even though there may be some young women/men who are able to handle marriage when they're younger than 13/14, there are some who can't handle it. But I've seen plenty of young men/women when I was in Somalia, who were like 13 or 14 but had the maturity and all of the responsibilities of a grown adult such as raising the kids and earning an income. So it varies from place to place, but what doesn't change is that the young wife/husband has certainly reached puberty and has the ability to handle marriage. If he/she can't handle it, then it becomes prohibited to marry him/her. And for you and Xabad to claim that the Iddah period is anything other than I described is the height of dishonesty. The "Iddah" in Islam is to ensure the woman isn't pregnant after she becomes divorced, especially since the vast majority of women in human history have never had access to ultrasounds or sonograms. The last thing you'd want to see is to have a mix-up of lineages, so in order to prevent that, Allah instituted a 3 month buffer zone for the woman once she gets a divorce.

xabad   

This is from islamweb. a person asks the question;

A scholar in our country said that the child marriage, i.e., marrying a girl before she matures is forbidden in Islam. He says that it was initially allowed and later this provision was abrogated

Here is the fatwa from a muslim authority, not trolls, or atheists ;

Praise be to Allah, the Lord of the Worlds; and may His blessings and peace be upon our Prophet Muhammad and upon all his Family and Companions.

Getting married at an early age is something that is confirmed by the book of Allah, the Sunnah of his Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi wa Sallam), the consensus of the scholars and the actions of the companions, and the Muslims who came after them.

Moreover, the interest of Shariah proves it. So the claim that this was abrogated is not correct. And the Hadith did not include that meaning; it just states that a virgin woman is not to be married until consulted.

..here the fatwa uses the same proof i used and which was dismissed by Dr kenney. it continues.

The evidence from the Qur'an is:

1. The saying of Allah: "And those of your women as have passed the age of monthly courses, for them the 'Iddah (prescribed period), if you have doubts (about their periods), is three months, and for those who have no courses [(i.e. they are still immature) their 'Iddah (prescribed period) is three months likewise, except in case of death]". (At-Talaq 65:4

So, Allah set rulings of marriage, divorce and waiting period for the women who have not yet had menses, i.e. the young girls.

The Iddah (waiting period) does not take place except after marriage.

The fatwa is quite lengthy and i would encourage people to read in detail.

http://www.islamweb.net/emainpage/index.php?page=showfatwa&Option=FatwaId&Id=88089

Holac   

I like Tallaabo. I hope that what DrKenny is saying is not true. Did he actually promote gay marriage or was he just asking questions and being the devil's advocate? Tallaabo comes across as a good Muslim. I must have missed what he said.

Tallaabo   

<cite>

I like Tallaabo. I hope that what DrKenny is saying is not true. Did he actually promote gay marriage or was he just asking questions and being the devil's advocate? Tallaabo comes across as a good Muslim. I must have missed what he said.

I don't know where the good doctor saw me promote gay marriage but I did question the logic of homophobia given that the position of the LGBT community within Islam is unclear as far as I know.