Sign in to follow this  
Saalax

Puntland budget for 2014 - $30 million

Samafal   

Somaliland incorporates in its budget on direct aid provided by aid agencies such as education and health and takes into account a regime of taxation they can not enforce and unrealistic to achieve. Its also a political strategy by Siilanyo to look a real country to show they can support themselve if given recognition. So basically as everything else it is based on phantom.

Puntland's budget is smaller than the budget of a small town in Canada, there is no denying that, but Somaliland's budget is smoke and mirrors. No budget in the world grows by 600% in 4 years, No such economy grows by that amount and we all know that per capita Somaliland's GDP is no better than Puntland's and is much worse than Mogadishu's.

One thing that could really help Puntland and Somaliland's budget would be the proper enforcement of the rule of law, and a respect for property rights.

A lot of Somalis from Mogadishu are wary of investing in Hargeisa, because there isn't a strong culture of enforcing property rights for someone who isn't from Somaliland. I've heard several stories of Reer Hiiraan and Reer Galgaduud people attempting to set up properties and businesses in Hargeisa, but the local government did not do it's proper job in enforcing their property rights. So these businessmen just packed their bags and shifted their businesses to Mozambique or Uganda or some other country.

If more and more Somalis (regardless of clan affiliation) invested in Somaliland, then business opportunities would increase, tax revenues increase, and the Somaliland Administration would now be able to afford to modernize their landscape including building a better Army, Navy, schools, and infrastructure.

I know A LOT OF Somalis from the South, who have invested in Kenya, Uganda and Angola.....who would much rather put that money in Hargeisa or Berbera. And everyone (including the local population) can benefit from this.

The same goes for Puntland. There needs to be more action from the Puntland diaspora when it comes to growing their economy (and thus their tax revenue)

Everyone is headed to Mogadishu and is trying to invest in that one city alone. And that's a terrible mistake. There's a lot of opportunities in many other Somali cities.

Somaliland budget has nothig to do with aid. Somaliland budget is physical hard cash generated from the collection if taxes across the territory trough tax collection according to degans. Every house is taxed, everything imported etc.

Somaliland has been building this for 20 years and it's he brain child of samale. That physical hard currency is all credited into the bank Of somaliland. That to clearify the above people who have no clue what they are talking about.

As for Osman:

Osman every somali knows that bari is a small sparsely populated barren landscape. Nugaal is void its empty you can't tax empty space???

Most of puntland is uninhabitable there is te small spot here or there of greenery in the rainy season but all the decent land has been taken by southerners or landers and you've been left with the desert no one really cares for.

Saalax   

For all this people screaming "aid" back in 2010 there was aid so why was

the budget of Somaliland $40 million? It has nothing to do with aid, but

the increase of revenues generated and a better managed tax system.

Dr_Osman   

ciidan i have 3 prime regions of the south. surely your not so stupid. on google maps not one farm shows up in snm land but it does for me and im desertland? you desperado malmahan

beauty

Lets see u match that banadiri greenery in snm land and i dont mean trees either u desperate goon. Plus jubbayoinka is greenest part of all somaalia, you can see it on google earth sharp green whereas it fades as u go up to banadir whihch is a lightish green not a solid greennlike jubbaa

Tallaabo   

<cite>
said:</cite>

One thing that could
really help
Puntland and Somaliland's budget would be the proper enforcement of the rule of law, and a respect for property rights.

A lot of Somalis from Mogadishu are wary of investing in Hargeisa, because there isn't a strong culture of enforcing property rights for someone who isn't from Somaliland. I've heard several stories of Reer Hiiraan and Reer Galgaduud people attempting to set up properties and businesses in Hargeisa, but the local government did not do it's proper job in enforcing their property rights. So these businessmen just packed their bags and shifted their businesses to Mozambique or Uganda or some other country.

If more and more Somalis (regardless of clan affiliation) invested in Somaliland, then business opportunities would increase, tax revenues increase, and the Somaliland Administration would now be able to afford to modernize their landscape including building a better Army, Navy, schools, and infrastructure.

I know A LOT OF Somalis from the South, who have invested in Kenya, Uganda and Angola.....who would much rather put that money in Hargeisa or Berbera. And everyone (including the local population) can benefit from this.

The same goes for Puntland. There needs to be more action from the Puntland diaspora when it comes to growing their economy (and thus their tax revenue)

Everyone is headed to Mogadishu and is trying to invest in that
one city alone
. And that's a terrible mistake. There's a lot of opportunities in many other Somali cities.

I couldn't agree with you more. Forget about other Somalis, my own uncle regrets investing in another region of Somaliland other than our clan stronghold. The culture of corruption in the local authorities is unbelievable!!

<cite>
said:</cite>

I couldn't agree with you more. Forget about other Somalis, my own uncle regrets investing in another region of Somaliland other than our clan stronghold. The culture of corruption in the local authorities is unbelievable!!

There's virtually no respect for property rights and the rule of law in Somalia. This is something the Clan Elders should have enforced, but clearly you can see they're incompetent and worthless

A Somali Man from Ceelbuur cannot invest in Hargeisa, because he knows the Local Administration in Hargeisa won't help him if he's ever robbed or cheated. So that Somali would be better off investing in Angola or some other foreign country.

This lack of respect for property rights is killing the economy in the North. So as a result, you have thousands of Somali businessmen investing in foreign countries, while at the same time we see thousands of young Somali graduates in desperate need of a job.

This is definitely the fault of the local government as well as the clan elders

Saalax   

Dont over exaggerate things. At least houses in Somaliland weren't looted. There is thousands of looted houses and farms in the south. Somaliland is a better place to

invest than south Somalia as it has law and order.

Tallaabo   

^ There is no looting of other people's properties in Somaliland and investors' property rights are protected by law; but dealing with the local authorities, the courts, and the national beaurocracy is a major challenge and a serious hurdle to attracting investment.

Saalax, I'm comparing Somaliland's business climate to countries like Angola, Zambia and Uganda.

Since Somaliland is a de-facto Republic, then I should have the right to compare it to other African countries, not just Southern Somalia.

Now is Somaliland a better place to invest than other African countries? Do the Somaliland authorities protect property rights and have civil courts which can enforce contract disputes?

Because there really isn't any reason why the thousands of Somali businessmen are in other African countries, when they could set up enterprises in Hargeisa and Berbera. I would much rather see prosperity in Somaliland and I know you would too