Sign in to follow this  
Libaax-Sankataabte

Amal Farah, a Somali immmigrant living in the UK, is disowned by her family after declaring she is an atheist

atheist-somali-woman

Amal Farah, a Somali immmigrant living in the UK, is disowned by her family after declaring she is an atheist

Amal Farah, a 32-year-old banking executive, is laughing about a contestant singing off-key in the last series of The X Factor. For a woman who was not allowed to listen to music when she was growing up, this is a delight. After years of turmoil, she is in control of her own life.

On the face of it, she is a product of modern Britain. Born in Somalia to Muslim parents, she grew up in Yemen and came to the UK in her late teens. After questioning her faith, she became an atheist and married a Jewish lawyer. But this has come at a cost. When she turned her back on her religion, she was disowned by her family and received death threats. She has not seen her mother or her siblings for eight years. None of them have met her husband or daughter.

“It was the hardest thing I’ve ever done – telling my observant family that I was having doubts. My mum was shocked; she began to cry. It was very painful for her. When she realised I actually meant it, she cut communication with me,” said Ms Farah. “She was suspicious of me being in contact with my brothers and sisters. She didn’t want me to poison their heads in any way. I felt like a leper and I lived in fear. As long as they knew where I was, I wasn’t safe.”

This is the first time Ms Farah has spoken publicly about her experience of leaving her faith, after realising that she did not want to keep a low profile for ever. She is an extreme case – her mother, now back in Somalia, has become increasingly radical in her religious views.

SOURCE: independent.co.uk 

http://www.somaliaonline.com/amal-farah-a-somali-immmigrant-living-in-the-uk-is-disowned-by-her-family-after-declaring-she-is-an-atheist/

Johnny B   

Well done Ms Farah.

Say NO to religious coercion as an adult, when you were kid you had no choice.

And if your mother could not think of granting you the right to have your own opinion about what will happen to you after you die, and disown you instead, it's a pity, but then that is what religious indoctrination ( love "God" more than your children ) does to people.

When you were kid , it was Religious indoctrination, Now that you're an adult , it is a Religious coercion.

It is no coincidence that almost all religious people practice their parents' Religion.

a 5 step guide for a xalimo to be become successful in gaal societies.

1. declare yourself an atheist.

2. get a hysterectomy because of a traumatising pre-teen attack by a close uncle.

3. complain you're misunderstood (and sometimes disowned) by your community.

4. use terms like ''liberal'' very loosely and stretch such foggy terms to their limits .

5. use every opportunity to scream and shout about your self-induced ''victim mentality'' pathetic sad state of affairs.

LoL how do you get disowned at 32? And even if your family has nothing else to do with you, just move on with your life. No need to make a big deal out of it.

Johnny B   

Beside displaying the marred minds of SOL's everyday people, namely arguing as to why a 32 years old woman needs to not be disowned by her family to accusing all successful Somali woman/Girl in the west of political prostitution, you haven't touched the gist as it were.

Religious coercion is widespread among the Muslim community/family in general and in the Somali community/family in particular.

It ranges from holding a different view than your ' Wahabi' cousin or having a 'Takferi' uncle in the family, to being an agnostic or Atheistic openly.

There is nothing like religious freedom among the Somali family.

Does Islam demand disowning your offspring if they question it's genuineness, or there is no compulsion in Religious matters.

discuss.

Johnny B   

Alpha, If what you're trying to say is, some of us are not coerced, then that is beside the point, Just as birds born in cages might say, some birds fly.

Oh yeah, He's coerced all right ?!

Jacpher   

Johnny doesn't see the irony of this women trying to shame and coerce her family into acceptance. At 32 independent woman? Your mother moved on and away. So should you.