Sign in to follow this  
Jacaylbaro

Vehicles Made in SOMALILAND

(Medeshi) - 10 Dec, 2013 - The first car that has ever been assembled in Somaliland was rolled out of a vehicle assembly plant in Hargeisa yesterday.

The assembly plant is owned by a Chinese company and the first of the vehicles was delivered to the ministry of industry of Somaliland. The director of the Chinese company informed the press that the vehicles presented to the ministry are meant to introduce more Chinese vehicles into the country. The Chinese executive requested Somaliland government to encourage the usage of Chinese cars in the country.

Assembly factories work in different ways .Some are run by robots while this particular one in Somaliland is run by humans who form assembly lines to put car parts together. The parts are imported in crates from manufacturers in China and are then assembled according to designs supervised by experts from the original manufacturers.

This new assembly plant in Somaliland ushers a new era into the country. Currently , more then 90% of the vehicles used in the country are made in Japan and are mainly Toyota brands. Although it may be very difficult for these Chinese vehicles to compete with the Japanese , price factor could encourage many of those who cannot afford the Japanese cars to opt for the cheaper Chines ones.

i foresee a progressive automobile industry in the near future that is if Somalilanders use their human resources to the fullest extent , Somaliand can produce better cars than presented here, but Somalilanders need to unite their strength and visions.

Hawdian   

Tallaabo;990617 wrote:
I don't think my home transforms into a factory when I assemble the modular furniture I sometimes buy from IKEA;)

This is a start . And if its cheaper to have the car parts assembled in Somaliland why not .

I would be impressed if it was even 30% manufactured in SL. I also won't touch Chinese truck with 10 ft pole.

Again I don't see any politics in this.

who said its politics? or you wana turn into that:D, It doesn't matter how much % assembled and is true Chinese r of inferior quality ,but then again its all about jobs and favourite prices.Almost cars coming into Africa r of second hand nature cos people can only afford cheaper stuff.

Khayr   

Are those vehicles safe to drive?

Odds are that if an Slander worked on it, that its not

safe because they are rarely sober.

Wow! We used to manufacture copters and now cars :-). This is cool, many countries assemble cars which creates employment, next is robotizing is notneeded now. Even india doesn't encourage mechanical or automation which diminishes human labour.

Jacaybaro,

Thanks for sharing. Any information about the capacity and pricing.