Sign in to follow this  
Safferz

On procrastination

Safferz   

Who would have thought a Mark Twain quote, a ballet choreographer's reflections on creativity (fantastic book), and the Pomodoro Technique would be exactly what I needed to organize my workflow and rein in my tendency to procrastinate on important tasks :P I think I've finally settled into a system that works, with the key being to organize my day into 'work units'/spurts and start as early as possible with The Dreaded Tasks to get them out of the way. Check it:

What are your own strategies for dealing with procrastination and improving productivity? Will dump other interesting videos and articles I've come across in this thread...

The best way to get rid of procrastination is to clearly divide the hours between work time and leisure time.

So if you're studying for an exam, you should study for 1 hour, and then have a 20 minute break. And then study for another hour, and then have another 20 minute break. And so on

In that 20 minute break you can watch your favorite show, or call your friend, or run on the treadmill, or eat a snack. But it's always good to divide the leisure time with the work time and to never violate that pattern

Khayr   

When you have Desire+Motivation+Will,

you can overcome lackadiscal

tendencies.

You draw up all the plans that you want but if you lack the desire to do something then you will also lack the will power to finish that task in a timely manner.

It also helps to actually be interested in what you're doing.

If you're studying something you couldn't give a damn about, then you'll definitely procrastinate.

Hawdian   

Before we go into all this Mumbo jumbo stuff you keep posting horta saladha ma tukata waayo qof salads fajr ku billowa malintiisa weey qebsantahy. Waa kula talinaya ee feel free to use my golden advice . Keep calm nd carry on.

Hawdian;989454 wrote:
Before we go into all this Mumbo jumbo stuff you keep posting horta saladha ma tukata waayo qof salads fajr ku billowa malintiisa weey qebsantahy. Waa kula talinaya ee feel free to use my golden advice . Keep calm nd carry on.

Hawdian diinta wa nasiixa so I'm glad you're giving the nasiixa. But the way you give the nasiixa is important as well. If you address sister Saff with less confrontation and more of a brother to sister advice I think your message would get through much better. It is definitely good advice, if you can go the masjid and pray in jam'aa (brothers) then it would be even better.

Procrastination is bad but made worse when you think you're best work comes out in crunch time. I started to convince myself that I would not get any work done until I'm right up against the deadline. But time management and prep work leading to the finish is definitely a better way to go.

Hawdian   

@dear sadeeqi Guleed Im not sure we dealing with a muslimah here a lot of people are socalled Gallo in SOL (Jahanmba people ) but you right I must stop giving advice to all these trolls who hold fancy Mickey Mouse degrees it's getting boring now. I'm just gonna go and make myself a nice cup of shaay somali thats much better use of my valuable time. Waad sallamtin.

Safferz   

^^ Take note, guleed -- posts like this are why I asked the admin to introduce a "block user" option that extends to the forums rather than simply PMs, and why I described Hawdian in the terms I did. Hope it's apparent to you now that he's a troll who has been harassing me on SOL for months now.

DoctorKenney;989436 wrote:
It also helps to actually be interested in what you're doing.

If you're studying something you couldn't give a damn about, then you'll definitely procrastinate.

I think this is more effective for people whose procrastination is rooted more in laziness/unwillingness to work, rather than those who do it as a response to stress/pressure and anxiety. It seems counter effective but most people's reasoning for procrastination has to do with the latter, and feeling paralyzed and overwhelmed when they know they have to get going to start an important task. That's certainly been my experience, as much as I love the work I do - so my strategy is similar to the one you suggested, working in "pomodoros" (25 minutes work, 5 minute break cycles) and breaking down the day's tasks into smaller work units and achievable goals.

guleed_ali;989493 wrote:
Procrastination is bad but made worse when you think you're best work comes out in crunch time. I started to convince myself that I would not get any work done until I'm right up against the deadline. But time management and prep work leading to the finish is definitely a better way to go.

I actually do produce my best work under the time constraints and pressure of an impending deadline, but the stress is not worth it. Using a timer during my "work units" has helped me recreate those conditions somewhat, I focus on getting as much done in those 25 minute blocks before the buzzer goes off.

Hawdian;989507 wrote:
@dear sadeeqi Guleed Im not sure we dealing with a muslimah here a lot of people are socalled Gallo in SOL (Jahanmba people ) but you right I must stop giving advice to all these trolls who hold fancy Mickey Mouse degrees it's getting boring now. I'm just gonna go and make myself a nice cup of shaay somali thats much better use of my valuable time. Waad sallamtin.

"Whoever says to his brother: 'O disbeliever,' it becomes true of one of the two." Al-Bukhari & Muslim.

Be careful brother.

Hawdian;989507 wrote:
@dear sadeeqi Guleed
Im not sure we dealing with a muslimah
here a lot of people are socalled Gallo in SOL (Jahanmba people ) but you right I must stop giving advice to all these trolls who hold fancy Mickey Mouse degrees it's getting boring now. I'm just gonna go and make myself a nice cup of shaay somali thats much better use of my valuable time. Waad sallamtin.

Brother Hawdian I don't believe I have read anything wear Sister Saff has taken herself out of the religion or has implied so. I believe she's a proud Muslimah who has weaknesses like all of us. There are some other misguided people on here who rebel against Islam and those people I have no tolerance for (No one can guide them but Allah). As for one who respectfully disagrees with Islam, I ask Allah to guide them to his straight path and I don't mind engaging in conversation with them because they're rational, objective, open minded people who criticize when need be and give credit where credit is due. I hope we can give them more to give credit to and less to criticize in shaa Allah. May Allah guide us All to his straight path.

Khayr   

Saff just needs and dare

I say it - A Man. I think that she would be supportive and would give deference to her man.

She is a likeable and brave nomad.

Anyways, what is your latest essay on anyways?

Safferz   

Khayr;989564 wrote:
Saff just needs and dare

I say it - A Man. I think that she would be supportive and would give deference to her man.

She is a likeable and brave nomad.

Anyways, what is your latest essay on anyways?

loool Khayr naga daa ciyaarta :P A man who gives deference to me, yes.

I'm writing a review essay at the moment to synthesize some of the reading I've been doing lately... tracing the creation and evolution of colonial and postcolonial states in Africa, and how the African state-building process has historically differed from the European experience, which is what much of political theory relies on and assumes universal.

Safferz   

"Shockingly, when we look at some of the most elite musicians in the world, we find that they aren’t necessarily practicing more but, instead, more deliberately. This is because they spend more time focused on the hardest task and focus their energy in packets — instead of diluting their energy over the entire day, they have periods of intense work, followed by breaks. Not relying on willpower, they rely on habit and discipline scheduling. Studies have found that the most elite violinists in the world generally follow a 90-minute work regime, with a 15- to 20-minute break afterwards."