Sign in to follow this  
Safferz

On procrastination

Safferz   

Just added this book to my to-read list for the holidays: Manage Your Day to Day: Build Your Routine, Find Your Focus, and Sharpen Your Creative Mind. One of my favourite things to do is read what writers and thinkers have to say about their work process, so this is right up my alley :)

“Inspiration is for amateurs — the rest of us just show up and get to work.”

- Chuck Close

“A writer who waits for ideal conditions under which to work will die without putting a word on paper.”

- E.B. White

manageyourdaytoday3.jpg

manageyourdaytoday1.jpg

manageyourdaytoday2.jpg

Khayr   

Saff,

I would like to read your essay on here and evaluate your arguments. I am sure that it would be a good read.

By the way, is there a database for essays by masters and Ph.D students. Would love to read some and counter their perpsective.

I once saw a book titled "The power of the majority". I wanted to buy it so that I could doodle X's

all over it.

Khayr;989668 wrote:
Saff,

I would like to read your essay on here and evaluate your arguments. I am sure that it would be a good read.

By the way, is there a database for essays by masters and Ph.D students. Would love to read some and counter their perpsective.

I once saw a book titled "The power of the majority". I wanted to buy it so that I could doodle X's

all over it.

+1, as in "May I please, pretty please, get a copy of that essay."

Also, just give Hawdian your phone number. Save us all the trouble.

Safferz   

thefuturenow;989675 wrote:
+1, as in "May I please, pretty please, get a copy of that essay."

Also, just give Hawdian your phone number. Save us all the trouble.

lool goodness, no :P I'm nowhere close to finished this essay (in some ways this thread is to cheer myself on lol), but will consider it when I'm done, assuming it isn't crap.

Khayr, generally masters and doctoral students don't circulate their essays beyond their classes/professors, occasionally later stage doctoral students revise and publish essays in academic journals. So depending on what topics and disciplines interest you, I'd suggest finding the journals in those fields and reading the work being published in them. Unfortunately most journals and journal databases are not open access and require a library or university login to read, but if you ever come across an article you'd like to read and don't have access to it through a university, just let me know and I'll download it for you.

Safferz;989804 wrote:
lool goodness, no
:P
I'm nowhere close to finished this essay (in some ways this thread is to cheer myself on lol), but will consider it when I'm done, assuming it isn't crap.

Khayr, generally masters and doctoral students don't circulate their essays beyond their classes/professors,
occasionally later stage doctoral students revise and publish essays in academic journals
. So depending on what topics and disciplines interest you, I'd suggest finding the journals in those fields and reading the work being published in them. Unfortunately most journals and journal databases are not open access and require a library or university login to read, but if you ever come across an article you'd like to read and don't have access to it through a university, just let me know and I'll download it for you.

Once you submit it they own it right? That's probably why I'd never do a doctoral degree or a research paper based Masters. The idea of someone owning something I wrote kinda scares me.

Safferz   

guleed_ali;989842 wrote:
Once you submit it they own it right? That's probably why I'd never do a doctoral degree or a research paper based Masters. The idea of someone owning something I wrote kinda scares me.

Well once it's published, you can't publish it anywhere else without the permission of the journal. But it's your intellectual property and your name is on it as author, and journals are important because it's how the academic community shares its scholarship and findings. Although there are other ways depending on the field... in some field conference presentations are more significant, in mine it's the book you publish.

Safferz;989846 wrote:
Well once it's published, you can't publish it anywhere else without the permission of the journal. But it's your intellectual property and your name is on it as author, and journals are important because it's how the academic community shares its scholarship and findings. Although there are other ways depending on the field... in some
field conference presentations
are more significant, in mine it's the book you publish.

I was thinking of submitting a paper to a finance conference and they stipulated they if I were chosen to present then my presentation would be property of the conference. There was no upside to me spending a few months writing it as I'm not affiliated to that particular institutions. Unless you can get noticed or have your name circulate in your particular field, is that why most presenters participate?

Safferz   

guleed_ali;989847 wrote:
I was thinking of submitting a paper to a finance conference and they stipulated they if I were chosen to present then my presentation would be property of the conference. There was no upside to me spending a few months writing it as I'm not affiliated to that particular institutions. Unless you can get noticed or have your name circulate in your particular field, is that why most presenters participate?

Interesting, that hasn't been my experience with conferences. And yes, conferences are about networking but also exchanging ideas and workshopping your work usually before finalizing it into a paper for publication. Also, for the vacation :P

Safferz;989848 wrote:
Interesting, that hasn't been my experience with conferences. And yes, conferences are about networking but also exchanging ideas and workshopping your work usually before finalizing it into a paper for publication. Also,
for the vacation

Lol, good point! It's a biennial even year conference so I guess I could attend next year as an observer and if things work out try to submit a paper for the one in 2016.

Safferz;989848 wrote:
Interesting, that hasn't been my experience with conferences. And yes, conferences are about networking but also exchanging ideas and workshopping your work usually before finalizing it into a paper for publication. Also,
for the vacation

Lol, good point! It's a biennial even year conference so I guess I could attend next year as an observer and if things work out try to submit a paper for the one in 2016.

Safferz   

Go for it! I wasn't able to make it to the annual one in my field this year, and next year will be in Indianapolis which doesn't sound so interesting to me lol.

Came across this clip today from Ira Glass... more on the story writing process, but it's also motivating to listen to for how he talks about creativity as work.

" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>