Sign in to follow this  
Kaluun

My Recommendations to Somaliland

khat problem became endemic in whole SL region it's caused wide spread mess to the people, current gov doesn't have full power to ban it and they should stop for being sidekick to ethiopian government, they should take tremendous steps to regulate khat, at least they should maximize and raise tax so that many people wouldn't be able to buy it.

Wadani;988348 wrote:
What???? Are you prepared to stand before Allah and say this? What proof do u have to make such a bold statement? Kulahaa qaat is just like khamri, acuudu-billaahi-minashaydaani-rajiim.

Assalamu alaykum,

What is the ruling on eating qat, and on not praying ‘Asr on time with the congregation and praying it half an hour before Maghrib?.

Praise be to Allaah.

Eating qat is haraam, because it makes people listless and distracts them from remembering Allaah and from praying. It is not permissible to delay the prayer from its proper time or to fail to pray in congregation. These are evil actions which result from eating qat, and they are all haraam actions. Hence eating qat is emphatically forbidden.

And Allaah is the Source of strength. May Allaah send blessings and peace upon our Prophet Muhammad and upon his family and companions.

From Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah, 22/175.

Islam Q&A

Wadani   

magicbird;988450 wrote:
Assalamu alaykum,

What is the ruling on eating qat, and on not praying ‘Asr on time with the congregation and praying it half an hour before Maghrib?.

Praise be to Allaah.

Eating qat is haraam, because it makes people listless and distracts them from remembering Allaah and from praying. It is not permissible to delay the prayer from its proper time or to fail to pray in congregation. These are evil actions which result from eating qat, and they are all haraam actions. Hence eating qat is emphatically forbidden.

And Allaah is the Source of strength. May Allaah send blessings and peace upon our Prophet Muhammad and upon his family and companions.

From Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah, 22/175.

Islam Q&A

This is a nonsense fatwa, because any enjoyable thing in this world has the potential to distract one from the remembrance of Allah. Just look at the example of Prophet Sulayman calayhi salaam when he became so preoccupied with his horses that he missed the midday prayer. With the logic employed in the above fatwa horses should be haraam, so should socializing, video games, sports etc. It's the responsibility of the person to enjoy these things in moderation, and these scholars have no right to deem something xaaraam on such a flimsy basis.

And my initial outrage to your original post wasn't due to the fact that you said qaat was xaaraam, it was because u likened it to khamri the ummul-fawaaxish. That to you a qaat user and a person who drinks are the shame shows how shallow your understanding of the deen really is. As for qaat being xaaraam there is a difference of opinion on this even amongst Salafi/Wahhabi scholars, though the majority of them take the position that it's forbidden. I am still not totally convinced of this view because from what I understand qaat is just a very strong stimulant like having a couple of cups of strong coffee and nothing like real drugs that lead to altered mental states that affect judgement and cognition. As for the arguments that say it's xaaraam because its unhealthy, well so is fast food...so are we gonna say fast food is xaaraam?

nuune   

Wadani;988454 wrote:
This is a nonsense fatwa, because any enjoyable thing in this world has the potential to distract one from the remembrance of Allah. Just look at the example of Prophet Sulayman calayhi salaam when he became so preoccupied with his horses that he missed the midday prayer. With the logic employed in the above fatwa horses should be haraam, so should socializing, video games, sports etc. It's the responsibilty of the person to enjoy these things responsibly and in moderation, and these scholars have no right to deem something xaaraam on such a flimsy basis.

And my initial outrage to your original post wasn't due to the fact that you said qaat was xaaraam, it was because u likened it to khamri the ummul-fawaaxish. That to you a qaat user and a person who drinks are the shame shows how shallow your understanding of the deen really is. As for qaat being xaaraam there is a difference of opinion on this even amongst Salafi/Wahhabi scholars, though the majority of them take the position that it's forbidden. I am still not totally convinced of this view because from what I understand qaat is just a very strong stimulant like having a couple of cups of strong coffee and nothing like real drugs that lead to altered mental states that affect judgement and cognition. As for the arguments that say it's xaaraam because its unhealthy, well so is fast food...so are we gonna say fast food is xaaraam?

Yaa Wadani, maxaad la qeylineysaa, orod afartan jawaan oo midkiiba ku jiro sagaashan marduuf is hor dhig oo ka dharag sidii sac dhabarka ka duleela, ma nafsadaada ha halaagin iyo reerkaaga ayaa lagaa kari la'yahey, ma bulshada aad ku dhax jirto ha halaagin ayaa lagaa kari la'yahey, ma nafsadaada badbaadi ayaa lagaa kari la'yahey iyoi tan dadka kula midka ah, dee orod oo sagaashankaa marduuf sagaashan kale intaad ku darsato habeen iyo maalin fadhiiso darbiyada jidadka iyo makhaayadaha dumarka ay shaaha ku iibiyaan dabadeedna daawo kuuntadeeda mar kastey koob shaaha ku soo ag dhigto.

Qofkii naarta galaayo aniga shakhsi ahaanteyda waan ku sii takhaantikhinaa haduu diido talo iyo nasiixo wanaagsan, gal oo tiimbo af af iyo gadaal-gadaalba.

Wadani   

nuune;988458 wrote:
Yaa
Wadani,
maxaad la qeylineysaa

Waxaan la qaylinayaa diinta ayaan ka ilaalinayaa in lagu been abuurto. Balwadna nin noocyadiisa kala duwan oo dhan ka nadiif ah ayaan ahay alxamdulillaah.

Wadani;988454 wrote:
This is a nonsense fatwa, because any enjoyable thing in this world has the potential to distract one from the remembrance of Allah. Just look at the example of Prophet Sulayman calayhi salaam when he became so preoccupied with his horses that he missed the midday prayer. With the logic employed in the above fatwa horses should be haraam, so should socializing, video games, sports etc. It's the responsibilty of the person to enjoy these things responsibly and in moderation, and these scholars have no right to deem something xaaraam on such a flimsy basis.

O you who have believed, indeed, intoxicants, gambling, [sacrificing on] stone alters [to other than Allah ], and divining arrows are but defilement from the work of Satan, so avoid it that you may be successful. [5:90]

Al Khamri - arabic > literally means ''The covering'' , or ''The veil'' , and in reference to wine a person's mental facillties are blurred, covered or veiled. So all intoxicants are included in this eg cigarettes, shisha and khat.

And what you said about fast food and other things, yes, under Israaf it'd be haram to eat too much fast food.

And yes khat is an intoxicant.

Kaluun   

Walaalayaal it seems like you all missed the point. I really I'm not interested about its Halal or Haram contents. I rather leave that to Islamic scholars.

The issue is about transportation; road accidents, the illegal speeding and the use of sirens by groups who shouldnt be.

Wadani   

magicbird;988460 wrote:
O you who have believed, indeed,
intoxicants
, gambling, [sacrificing on] stone alters [to other than Allah ], and divining arrows are but defilement from the work of Satan, so avoid it that you may be successful. [5:90]

Al Khamri - arabic > literally means ''The covering'' , or ''The veil'' , and in reference to wine a person's mental facillties are blurred, covered or veiled. So all intoxicants are included in this eg cigarettes, shisha and khat.

And what you said about fast food and other things, yes, under Israaf it'd be haram to eat too much fast food.

And yes khat is an intoxicant.

So now even smokers are just like drunks? May Allah guide you because wallahi u r very misguided. And still you have not proven that Khat is an intoxicant and is not just a stimulant just like strong coffee, and proving this is the only Islamically justifiable way to make the claim that it's xaaraam. And as for your point about fast food u've moved the goal post because I wasn't talking about israaf and over consumption (nor are those who forbid qat for health reasons), I was talking about the inconsistency in logic when qat is forbidden in and of itself due to health concerns when these same wadaads dont issue the same ruling on fast food.

They have taken their rabbis and priests as lords besides Allah, and the Messiah, son of Mary, although they were commanded to worship no one except the One Allah. There is no Deity but He, glory be to Him above what they associate with Him! (9:31)

And do not say, concerning the falsehood which your tongues utter, 'This is halal and that is haram,' in order to fabricate a lie against Allah; assuredly those who fabricate a lie against Allah will not prosper. (16:116)

Wadani   

P.S. I have no vested interest in Qaat being deemed halaal, but like I told Nuune I do have a vested interest in maintaining the integrity of the deen and so I don't want to see this compromised by edicts based on the misuse of textual sources and weak reasoning filled with holes.

Wadani;988463 wrote:
So now even smokers are just like drunks? May Allah guide you because wallahi u r very misguided. And still you have not proven that Khat is an intoxicant and is not just a stimulant just like strong coffee, and proving this is the only Islamically justified way to make the claim that it's xaaraam. And as for your point about fast food u've moved the goal post because I wasn't talking about israaf and over consumption (nor are those who forbid qat for health reasons), I was talking about the inconsistency in logic when qat is forbidden in and of itself due to health concerns when these same wadaads dont issue the same ruling on fast food.

They have taken their rabbis and priests as lords besides Allah, and the Messiah, son of Mary, although they were commanded to worship no one except the One Allah. There is no Deity but He, glory be to Him above what they associate with Him! (9:31)

And do not say, concerning the falsehood which your tongues utter, 'This is halal and that is haram,' in order to fabricate a lie against Allah; assuredly those who fabricate a lie against Allah will not prosper. (16:116)

Nafi' reported Ibn 'Umar as saying: I do not know this but from Allaah's Prophet (sallAllaahu alayhi wa sallam) who said: Every intoxicant is Khamr and every Khamr is forbidden.

Abu Burda reported on the authority of his father: Allaah's Messenger (sallAllaahu alayhi wa sallam) sent me and Mu'adh to Yemen saying: Call people (to the path of righteousness) and give good tidings to the (people), and do not repel them, make things easy for them and do not make things difficult. I (Burda) said: Allaah's Messenger, give us a religious verdict about two kinds of drinks which we prepare in Yemen. One is Bit' which is prepared from honey; it is a fermented Nabidh and is strong and turns into wine, and (the second is) Mizr which is prepared from millet and barley. Thereupon, Allaah's Messenger (sallAllaahu alayhi wa sallam), who had been gifted with the most eloquent and pithy expressions, said: I forbid you from every intoxicant that keeps you away from prayer.

All hadith use sahih muslim.

Yes I've used the word intoxicant because that is the closest meaning to khamri, but in essence khamri means something that blurs the mind aka gets you high/low. As we all know our sisters wear khimaar (khamara (to cover)), and arabic has three letter root word for most words.

Wadani   

magicbird;988477 wrote:
Nafi' reported Ibn 'Umar as saying: I do not know this but from Allaah's Prophet (sallAllaahu alayhi wa sallam) who said: Every intoxicant is Khamr and every Khamr is forbidden.

Abu Burda reported on the authority of his father: Allaah's Messenger (sallAllaahu alayhi wa sallam) sent me and Mu'adh to Yemen saying: Call people (to the path of righteousness) and give good tidings to the (people), and do not repel them, make things easy for them and do not make things difficult. I (Burda) said: Allaah's Messenger, give us a religious verdict about two kinds of drinks which we prepare in Yemen. One is Bit' which is prepared from honey; it is a fermented Nabidh and is strong and turns into wine, and (the second is) Mizr which is prepared from millet and barley. Thereupon, Allaah's Messenger (sallAllaahu alayhi wa sallam), who had been gifted with the most eloquent and pithy expressions, said:
I forbid you from every intoxicant that keeps you away from prayer.

All hadith use sahih muslim.

Yes I've used the word intoxicant because that is the closest meaning to khamri, but
in essence khamri means something that blurs the mind aka gets you high/low.
As we all know our sisters wear khimaar (khamara (to cover)), and arabic has three letter root word for most words.

Your issue is one of comprehension. I have no problem with the usage of the word intoxicant as the closest translation for the word khamr...and u dont need to go into arabic grammar, taas laga yaabe in lagaa badiyo lol. My issue is you have not proven that qaat is a drug that intoxicates and alters ones mental state...in other words you have not proven that it is khamr in the linguistic sense. If you can prove this to me ill accept that it is xaaraam, but the severity of the sin is a whole other can of worms. That's y qaat may be khamr in the linguistic sense, meaning to cover up (ones mental faculties)/intoxicate, but cannot be khamr in the sharci (legal) sense, as this definition is reserved for alcoholic beverages, which are amongst the greatest of major sins in Islam.

Wadani   

Apophis;988478 wrote:
Can someone do the maths for me?

What is it that u find perplexing? I quoted that Quranic verse to magicbird to warn him from accepting a ruling that has no Islamic basis just cuz some Mufti/Mullah/Shaikh said so, because it's similar to what the Jews and Christians did with their Priests and Rabbis according to the Aayah, in essence putting them in the position of Allah. I don't know y u also quoted that small excerpt from the hadith though.

Wadani;988480 wrote:
Your issue one of comprehension. I have no problem with the usage of the word intoxicant as the closest translation for the word khamr...and u dont need to go into arabic grammar, taas laga yaabe in lagaa badiyo lol. My issue is you have not proven that qaat is a drug that intoxicates and alters ones mental state...in other words you have not proven that it is khamr in the linguistic sense. If you can prove this to me ill accept that it is xaaraam, but the severity of the sin is a whole other can of worms. That's y qaat may be khamr in the linguistic sense, meaning to cover up (ones mental faculties)/intoxicate, but cannot be khamr in the sharci (legal) sense, as this definition is reserved for alcoholic beverages, which are amongst the greatest of major sins in Islam.

Akhi, I know where you coming from but I repeat Qaala rasuulullah scw "kullu muskir(things that get you high/low) khamr, wa kullu muskir haram". Scholars understood this that the prophet scw was trying to be encompass all harmful drugs into one category.